Review by fernsmom -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Reading Device: 1400698987

Review by fernsmom -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by fernsmom » 08 Oct 2018, 22:34

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

McDowell by William H. Coles is a book of ups and downs, one surgeon’s changing dreams, and the people that are part of his life.

The book McDowell, by William H. Coles, was in 2 parts. The first part is when Hiram Mcdowell is a rich and successful surgeon, getting nominated to be the United States Secretary of Health. He is also the president of the International College of Surgeons and had opened a hospital in Nepal with his medical foundation. Seems most of Hiram’s dreams have come true. Yes, his home life isn’t a priority for him, but this seems to bother his wife and children more than Hiram, who doesn’t seem to care all that much.

Right in the first pages of the book Hiram went on a mountain climb and left a fellow climber behind who died. So, although this author is great at bringing a character to life, from the beginning this character was hard to like. He was greedy, selfish, and uncaring. But, to give the author credit, who made this character so hard to like, Hiram being unlikable didn’t mean that I didn’t like the book. No, the author brings his characters to life so you can hardly put the book down.

In the second part of the book, everything important to Hiram takes a 180 degree turn. Many people are against him, his presidency of the International College is in question, and everything that made Hiram such a rich, proud, and wealthy man is in the balance.

With such a great character development of Hiram, the author also was able to portray his families’ feelings though these difficulties. I will not spoil more about the family as other than the second part of the book where everything goes downhill, I think the dealings with his family, is what makes this book outstanding.

I had previously read The Surgeon’s Wife by William H. Cole, so I had not only been excited to read another book by this same author, I had also felt I knew the type of doctor the main character would be. I couldn’t be further from the truth. The main characters in these two books are very different and other than perhaps the writing style, I wouldn’t have known McDowell was by the same author. It reminds me of when you watch a move who an actor portrays a villain where you are used to seeing them as the hero. It takes a little time to get used to, plus it is surprising and a credit to the actor if they do well at both parts. The same with McDowell, the author can write about any character I believe now, and make it in an entertaining book.

I felt so many emotions in this book, mainly aimed at Hiram, but occasionally some other characters. I’m recommending this book to readers who enjoy books that are professionally edited with plenty of in-depth characters, and who like a believable story that is entertaining. This was an easy one for me to rate; this book deserves the rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Is this author the next Robin Cook? Yes, the thought crossed my mind, so I had to check, and yes, he is a surgeon. I look forward to reading another book from this author.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like fernsmom's review? Post a comment saying so!

Book Lover 35
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 36
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: Save The Last Dance by M.G. Crisci

Post by Book Lover 35 » 23 Oct 2018, 13:02

I enjoyed this book also. I liked seeing how much McDowell's personality had changed. His kids lives were very interesting. I haven't seen the Surgeon's Wife yet. I didn't know it was by the same author. Thanks for letting me know. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:

fernsmom
Currently Reading:

Post by fernsmom » 24 Oct 2018, 20:38

I'm not sure how to tag you ( Book Lover 35 ) but another interesting point is that the author is a surgeon (I had to look online when I was done reading his first one). Kind of reminded me of Robin Cook with the same themed books, both being doctors. Though Robin Cook goes more into the medical thriller, where I consider William H. Coles books to be more of a medical drama (at least the 2 I have read by him) Thank you for your for reading my review and for the nice comment!

Cotwani
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 9
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Cotwani » 26 Oct 2018, 06:36

McDowell sure elicits mixed feelings! One thing I didn't like in the book was the sexism. Older single ladies were always said to be desperate. Great review!
Feel free to check out my review at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85440
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

fernsmom
Currently Reading:

Post by fernsmom » 26 Oct 2018, 08:10

Thank you Cotwani for the time you took to look at my review and comment. I had also after reading The Surgeon's Wife, and followed it up with reading McDowell but the same author googled the author. Kind of interesting he is a surgeon and writes books about surgeons. To me it was a little along the line of Robin Cook as he is a MD but his books are more I guess you would say medical thrillers instead of more like medical drama like Cole's books.

HollandBlue
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 225
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by HollandBlue » 31 Oct 2018, 17:55

fernsmom wrote: ↑
24 Oct 2018, 20:38
I'm not sure how to tag you ( Book Lover 35 ) but another interesting point is that the author is a surgeon (I had to look online when I was done reading his first one). Kind of reminded me of Robin Cook with the same themed books, both being doctors. Though Robin Cook goes more into the medical thriller, where I consider William H. Coles books to be more of a medical drama (at least the 2 I have read by him) Thank you for your for reading my review and for the nice comment!
It's interesting that Coles is a surgeon himself, probably adding to the realism of the book. Thanks for your review and research!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)

fernsmom
Currently Reading:

Post by fernsmom » 31 Oct 2018, 19:44

BookReader+6 wrote: ↑
31 Oct 2018, 17:55
fernsmom wrote: ↑
24 Oct 2018, 20:38
It's interesting that Coles is a surgeon himself, probably adding to the realism of the book. Thanks for your review and research!

Thank you for reading my review and for your comment!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”