Review by Julez -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Julez
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julez.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review by Julez -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Julez » 08 Oct 2018, 10:24

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

William H. Coles has cleverly weaved a tale of kindness, human actions and its consequences. I found McDowell to be quite a delightsome read. Once started, it was hard to put down. I really enjoyed the book and could liken it to a tasty soup; the story started on an interesting note, did not disappoint with a stale taste midway and still left me with a delightsome sweetness in the end.

Hiram McDowell is the most selfish character I have ever come across and this book encompasses the life of man who was comfortable with his selfishness. He had no concern about the lives of others or the pain he caused them until waves of tragedy befell him causing him to question life and the significance of our actions on earth. In the midst of all this, the author leaves a question at the back of the reader’s mind. How will Hiram bounce back?

There are quite a number of characters in the book and I commend the author’s method in introducing new characters to the reader without disrupting the harmony of the book. Full of unexpected twists, one never knows what to expect right till the very end. I also got to learn a bit of the Nepalese culture, some parts beautiful, other parts not so much. Still, the exposure of archaic doings in the community through this book could bring about much needed changes for them.

I believe the appealing quality of this book is its closeness to reality. You read and can actually relate with an event or a character’s emotion. Billie was passionate about music and drumming until he discovered his real gift. Sometimes in life, you may think you have it all figured out until an unexpected step takes you in the direction you were meant to go. At another point during the course of reading, I felt like giving Ann’s character a good shaking due to her anxieties and how it was affecting the children. Later on, I got to discover the origin of her issues and realized that in real life, we have judged a lot of folks without making an effort to make their lives better or discover what actually ails them.

If you are in search of a good realist novel to curl up with, then I recommend this one for you. I rate it a 4 out of 4 stars. It has a wonderful plot, well-developed characters and can also be read by young adults who could pick some vital lessons from it.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Julez's review? Post a comment saying so!

Cotwani
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 9
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: Express Exec by Gary Brose

Post by Cotwani » 12 Oct 2018, 17:41

this book encompasses the life of man who was comfortable with his selfishness.
Lol! You nailed it!! I agree with you, the twists and turns and the glimpes into the Nepalese culture added flavor to the book. Great review!
Feel free to check out my review of the same at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85440
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”