Review by Ayisha M Ashruf -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Ayisha M Ashruf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayisha-m-ashruf.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review by Ayisha M Ashruf -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ayisha M Ashruf » 08 Oct 2018, 03:16

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

McDowell by William H. Coles proved to be a worthy read. The story is centred around Dr. Hiram McDowell, a wealthy surgeon at the peak of his career who cares for no one but himself. His callous behavior and lack of morality angers several people who vow to see him fall from grace. What happens as his world of privilege collapses around him forms the rest of the story.

McDowell is the most magnetic character in the novel. He is uncaring, often cruel and manipulates people for his benefit. I disliked him from the start and kept looking for some saving grace that would redeem him. The depth of my dislike shows that the author did an amazing job of portraying the character. Married three times, we can see that he has no particular affection for any of his wives. The reader can see that he cares for his three kids, but often wonders at the depth of his affection. He has a passion for music and often plays the harmonica.

The other central characters include his children - Sophie, Billie and Ann. They are different from their father in the sense that they have kindness in them. Sophie is a talented photographer who cares deeply for her father despite his character. I loved Sophie the best for her kindness and determination to see the best in people. Billie, who has inherited his talent for music from his father, seems to be a good person who is figuring his way out in the world. Ann is married to Robert and has two kids. She is unhappy in her marriage and is often depressed. Paige, a former TV anchor also plays a central role in the story. She is one of the people determined to expose Hiram and bring him down.

There are more characters that we meet along the way like Willie, Maud, Selena, Pops, Hulga and Winona. Though they do not take up many pages of the novel, they are integral to Hiram’s evolution.

What I loved the best is how each character is detailed. There is more story to each of the characters. I, for one, would love to read Sophie’s story. I also loved how McDowell evolves as the story progresses and the reader learns to care for him. This is an amazing book. It is well written and I loved reading it. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Ayisha M Ashruf's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”