Official Review: We Love Short Shorts by Kathy Lindsey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Official Review: We Love Short Shorts by Kathy Lindsey

Post by Kalin Adi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "We Love Short Shorts" by Kathy Lindsey.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are living in a shrinking era in which almost everything is bite-sized (learning, trainings, food, marketing, etc.), and stories aren’t the exception. We Like SHORT SHORTS is a collection of startling bite-sized stories and recollections, some of them incredibly nano-scale. This book was written by Kathy Lindsey and Dave Sharp.

Although the stories are short, the diversion obtained from them isn’t short at all. In fact, this collection encapsulates a broad spectrum of lifelike situations such as the hassle of moving out to a new home, the uncertainty when not knowing the whereabouts of a loved one, the shortcomings that come with age, the sudden gaiety of a childhood memory, the astute trap of a wife created to see her husband’s reaction, among others.

We Like SHORT SHORTS contains more than forty stories, each with a different topic. Some of the stories are built on the knowledge and experience of the authors or someone close to them as stated at Amazon. The stories were written cleverly realistic, and they’re easy to follow. Since most of them are very short, you won’t see characters’ development very often, but instead the thrill and lessons of the wonderful narrations compensate that.

Since there were so many stories, I will just mention three of my favorites. The first one is "Pygmalion’s Statue." It’s the story of a sculptor who was seeking to create the perfect statue, and he sculpts a perfect woman whom he falls in love with. As a romantic person, I sighed when I read his story. What a predicament! The second story is "The Greatest Sacrifice." One of the things I love the most in this story is the way it was written. It’s actually a poem that explains what a father is willing to do for his children and their future. It’s a tear-jerking story. And the third one is "Squirrels Anonymous." It narrates the story of how a half truth can make a person misunderstand the real situation and make wrong decisions.

Despite the praises mentioned above, I must admit I found a number of things I didn’t like when reading. First of all, the book doesn’t have a table of content to make easier for the reader to find a story fast. Second, the formatting was sometimes off. Some lines grew bigger while others smaller. Third, I found some errors as missing commas and quotation marks. Lastly, a few stories would benefit if they followed the technique “show, don’t tell.”

Regardless the flaws, I really enjoyed this collection of stories because they provided me with a remarkable getaway. If you like stories that invite you to ruminate about life, you will enjoy We Like SHORT SHORTS. Although these stories seem relatively simple, you can find a lot of insights into family, sacrifice, animal care, and others. Therefore, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

We Love Short Shorts
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kalin Adi's review? Post a comment saying so!
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

This must be a cute one to read. I only hope that each of the stories is exhaustive enough not leave the reader on cliff-hanger. Otherwise its an amazing way to present the stories. Nice review.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Short stories that provide insight into life are worth reading. However, too many errors will detract from the reading experience. Thanks for the honest review!
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

This sounds interesting, I would love to read this one. It sounds like the shorts stories in this book have depths and that's hooking.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Interesting short stories. But poems ain't my type of chocolate. I like your review writing style. It's well structured and composed . Great review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

@wendos
This must be a cute one to read. I only hope that each of the stories is exhaustive enough not leave the reader on cliff-hanger. Otherwise its an amazing way to present the stories. Nice review.
There are no cliffhangers, so don't worry about it. You can enjoy the stories as much as you want.

@Debjani Ghosh
Short stories that provide insight into life are worth reading. However, too many errors will detract from the reading experience. Thanks for the honest review!
Well, if you immerse into the readings, the errors will not detract you from the enjoyment. Remember, we, as reviewers, have to pay attention to the errors, but when we are readers, that's a different story.

@Noraine Alissa Poria
This sounds interesting, I would love to read this one. It sounds like the shorts stories in this book have depths and that's hooking.
Help yourself, Noraine! You'll have fun!

@Nerea
Interesting short stories. But poems ain't my type of chocolate. I like your review writing style. It's well structured and composed . Great review.
Thanks for your comment, Nerea. There is just story in the form of a poem. I loved it. However, the rest of the stories aren't poems at all.
Felicidad
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Felicidad »

I liked your review! The title really called my attention. It sounds interesting!
Besides, the explanation you gave about Pygmalion's Statue was wonderful.
Great review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”