Official Review: What Remains Unsaid by Audrey Kalman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Re: Official Review: What Remains Unsaid by Audrey Kalman

Post by kandscreeley »

Eva Darrington wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 13:57 The exploration of the relationship between a mother and her son, under these tense circumstances, sounds pretty interesting. I feel curious to know what life events would lead to such a thing. Maybe the author will clean up the editing problems. Thanks for the great introduction to this book.
It wasn't exactly what I thought I was getting into, but it was intriguing nonetheless! Thanks for your comments.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I like your description of the book as "a psychological excursion into the family unit." I agree that most families exhibit dysfunctionality to some degree. I hope that the one described here is the rare extreme with son pointing a gun at his mother to get her attention. The puzzling out of the characters sounds really interesting. Thanks for this excellent review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

This story sounds like it has huge potential and it reminds me a little of We Need to Talk About Kevin even though that was a book about a high school shooting. I am put off by the errors though so I will be keeping an eye out for future reviews to see if the book has been cleaned up. It sounds like it needs a major rewrite to fix the flaws which are quite bad. Personally I think you may have been too generous with your rating but fingers crossed I can find out for myself in the future.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

This sounds like a painful fictional thriller to read, yet the amount of time the author takes to explain the motivations between the characters seems to make the story relate able. I do agree that the author could have improved their past and present tense when they were speaking about things that were supposed to only be happening now. Thanks for letting me know. If this book is available to review I'll definitely keep that in mind. Thanks!
:character-ariel:
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I enjoy a good psychological thriller and I like the concept of this book. I hope the author can get the editing sorted out, as it sounds like it has potential. Thank you for the review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Parenting is never easy. Sean's reaction does seem extreme, though. Could her parenting skills really have been that awful? Your review has left me with many unanswered questions. Great job!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

stacie k wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 17:17 I like your description of the book as "a psychological excursion into the family unit." I agree that most families exhibit dysfunctionality to some degree. I hope that the one described here is the rare extreme with son pointing a gun at his mother to get her attention. The puzzling out of the characters sounds really interesting. Thanks for this excellent review!
Thanks for your kind words. It was an interesting novel. I likes looking into the characters' psyches.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Georgia Lyonhyde wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 19:42 This story sounds like it has huge potential and it reminds me a little of We Need to Talk About Kevin even though that was a book about a high school shooting. I am put off by the errors though so I will be keeping an eye out for future reviews to see if the book has been cleaned up. It sounds like it needs a major rewrite to fix the flaws which are quite bad. Personally I think you may have been too generous with your rating but fingers crossed I can find out for myself in the future.
It's difficult to rate a book when literally the only thing wrong is the editing. The concept and execution was good. Still, I hope the author cleans it up.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Alicia09 wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 23:01 This sounds like a painful fictional thriller to read, yet the amount of time the author takes to explain the motivations between the characters seems to make the story relate able. I do agree that the author could have improved their past and present tense when they were speaking about things that were supposed to only be happening now. Thanks for letting me know. If this book is available to review I'll definitely keep that in mind. Thanks!
It was still enjoyable nonetheless. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Julie Green wrote: 06 Oct 2018, 09:39 I enjoy a good psychological thriller and I like the concept of this book. I hope the author can get the editing sorted out, as it sounds like it has potential. Thank you for the review.
It has a lot of potential and could be four stars with a good editor. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kdstrack wrote: 06 Oct 2018, 12:18 Parenting is never easy. Sean's reaction does seem extreme, though. Could her parenting skills really have been that awful? Your review has left me with many unanswered questions. Great job!
I think it was a combination of different things coming together. In real life, it's rarely ever one person's fault. Same way with this book. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

This seems like a psychological thriller with a twist. The story of Sean, and his dysfunctional family really drew my interest.

Thank you for the great review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kajori50 wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 04:43 This seems like a psychological thriller with a twist. The story of Sean, and his dysfunctional family really drew my interest.

Thank you for the great review.
Thanks. It is a different take on the psychological thriller. Let me know if you decide to read it.
—Neil Gaiman
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

I have read your review of the book What Remains Unsaid by Audrey Kalman. From all of the psychological thrillers you have chosen a wonderful topic of the book for the review. Family unit and its analysis is a core issue of the present age.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

Do you mean that the whole story was told while Sean held a gun to his mother's head? That sounds scary, and I wonder what happened in the end? I know you can't reveal the end without spoiling the book, but I am not sure I want to read it to find out.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”