Review by ea_anthony -- Andalusian in Jerusalem

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review by ea_anthony -- Andalusian in Jerusalem

Post by ea_anthony »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Andalusian in Jerusalem" by Mois benarroch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois Benarroch

Andalusian in Jerusalem was originally written in Spanish and translated to the English language for this edition. It is fair to warn, that this is not an easy read. While exactly, not a difficult read, it is quite challenging and can tax a reader’s patience – I know it taxed mine. For example, the book is not arranged into chapters, which was quite disconcerting at first as nothing warns you of a day that has passed or a conversation starting or ending. I eventually got used to it and kind of enjoyed it.

The story happens around 2010 in Jerusalem during a writer’s conference. It is about Guillermo a Spanish novelist, who most people mistake for a Jew or think he is Jewish. He actually confessed to being a Jew at about age eight and even gave himself a secret Jewish name, David. Guillermo’s friend’s Charly (a Jewish novelist, who has written about twenty novels, with none earning best-seller status) also features prominently in this story and to a lesser extent, Nora (a Uruguayan journalist in Jerusalem) who Guillermo has a crush on, or in his words, might love. However, I believe that this story is more than that.

There is the feeling that Mois Benaroch created this novel either out of some great inspiration or an event or maybe not. Whatever the case, this story is also about being Jewish, what it means, and how the world regards the Jews. The novel has innuendos, anecdotes, half-wit and philosophical musings. Coincidences, no matter how improbable, are agreed as mere coincidences, as Charly tells Guillermo of the psychological condition known as Jerusalem Syndrome.

This novel is not your run-of-the-mill variant; it is very unique in its perspective, characterization, plotting and, delivery. Random facts like water memory (I had to stop and google it to check if it was fact or fiction) appear intermittently as well as discourses on an eclectic mix of writers (popular and unpopular, living and dead) and their works. Charly’s works are also discussed.

There are stories within the story. In fact, there is literally another whole story in this story; a manuscript written by Guillermo’s friend Charly features not in bits and snippets, but is practically lifted and inserted almost whole. The inserted manuscript also contains poems, some Jewish and Spanish history, and discourses on religion. This novel should resonate with Historical fiction and even non-fiction buffs, especially of Jewish/Spanish persuasion. Students of literature would do well to study the style of this novel. I will recommend this novel to them and also to arts and poetry lovers.

I rate this novel 4 out of 4 stars, which it deserves . The book is well-edited and asides from the errors which were deliberately left in as explained at the beginning of the novel, there were almost no other errors to speak of. This novel is a must reread.

Andalusian in Jerusalem
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like ea_anthony's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found the story challenging. It did tax my patience too. It seems we also have the same opinions in regard to rating. Fascinating review!
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 09:54 I'm glad I'm not the only one who found the story challenging. It did tax my patience too. It seems we also have the same opinions in regard to rating. Fascinating review!
I was just giving a fair warning, but it's a special read I think, the rating had to be 4 stars. Thanks for your kind words.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Rick Swan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rick-swan.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Rick Swan »

The lack of chapters and structure seem not to have prohibited an enjoyable experience. I think I may find that frustrating though. Thank you for the thorough review.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Jerusalem constitutes a portal to a bizarre and altered reality, at least in the world of this writer's books. I'm glad you enjoyed this challenging exploration of perception and identity. Thanks for your informative review!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

The role of Charly and Guillermo as friends is very important in the story and is most amazing. But there should be the arrangement of the books into the chapters.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

A Jew trying to maintain his identity in Jerusalem sounds intriguing. I am not in this book. But I am glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for this great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

Rick Swan wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 22:45 The lack of chapters and structure seem not to have prohibited an enjoyable experience. I think I may find that frustrating though. Thank you for the thorough review.
Having no chapters did not detract from the reading experience, yes a teeny weeny bit frustrating, but easy to get used to. Thank you for your comment and kind words.
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 05:07 Jerusalem constitutes a portal to a bizarre and altered reality, at least in the world of this writer's books. I'm glad you enjoyed this challenging exploration of perception and identity. Thanks for your informative review!
Yes, that's how the author presented Jerusalem and I did enjoy trying to unravel (at least to some extent) the author's stated and unstated POV. Thanks for your nice comment.
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 06:25 The role of Charly and Guillermo as friends is very important in the story and is most amazing. But there should be the arrangement of the books into the chapters.
Charly and Guillermo's friendship can be likened to the anchor of this story, everything in the story ties it to this friendship. As for the lack of chapters, it isn't really as bad as you would imagine. Thanks for your comment.
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 11:30 A Jew trying to maintain his identity in Jerusalem sounds intriguing. I am not in this book. But I am glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for this great review.
Don't forget- a pretend Jew, but you are right about it being intriguing. This book is worth a try though, it sorts of grows on you as you go along and I did enjoy the book. Thanks for your comment and kind words.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

While exactly, not a difficult read, it is quite challenging and can tax a reader’s patience
Despite your well-written review, my patience with the book is already taxed! And as if its own complexity is not enough, there is another person's manuscript within it! I think I will pass on this one. However, thanks for the great review all the same!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I am a poetry and art lover with an interest in Judaica, so this book sounds like it might be a good one for me. Thanks for the recommendation.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I had reviewed this book. I gave it 3 out or 4 stars because of the run-on sentences. I had seen periods (.) after 3 to 4 pages. I had seen grammar errors, too. Well, we may have different views, but just like you, I enjoyed reading this book, too.

Congrats on your thorough review!
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

Cotwani wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 17:48
While exactly, not a difficult read, it is quite challenging and can tax a reader’s patience
Despite your well-written review, my patience with the book is already taxed! And as if its own complexity is not enough, there is another person's manuscript within it! I think I will pass on this one. However, thanks for the great review all the same!
I never meant this (tax reader's patience) in a bad way. It was a fairly enjoyable read and quite enlightening. The manuscript within was not a bad touch, it wasn't. It is a worthwhile read any day! Thanks for your comment and extremely kind words.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”