Official Review: The Militarized Zone by Wayne E. Johnson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KarinaBordas
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karinabordas.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Official Review: The Militarized Zone by Wayne E. Johnson

Post by KarinaBordas »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Militarized Zone" by Wayne E. Johnson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Much like the style of old slapstick war movies such as Good Morning, Vietnam and M*A*S*H, Wayne Johnson's The Militarized Zone: What Did You Do in the Army, Grandpa? presents a humorous look at the events in Seoul, Korea during the Vietnam War through the eyes of a reluctant soldier. Will Jenson, the main character and stereotypical twenty-something who wishes to do anything but go to war, provides the reader with an entertaining perspective of the war off the front-line.

It is 1969 and, although unsuccessful, Will Jenson has made every attempt to avoid the draft. Wishing instead to pursue music and a career outside of the military, he comes up with various schemes that are ultimately nothing more than futile efforts. Since he is unable to sneak past the draft, Will does his best to make a mockery of his military stint and attempts to assure minimal time in the war zone from the beginning of his service. Since he is now required to be in a place he does not want to be and has no desire to fight on the front-line, Will schemes his way up the ranks in an effort to post himself in a place far from the wartime action – at the 8th Army Headquarters in Seoul, Korea. Nothing more than a paperwork pusher, Will is proud of his successful scheming. It is during this time, however, that he moves from childhood to adulthood. It is during this time that he experiences all of the facets of life which take him from a free-spirited schemer to a soldier.

Although fictional, Wayne Johnson derives much of his dialogue and material from his own experiences in the service. In the preface of The Militarized Zone: What Did You Do in the Army, Grandpa?, he writes that the events are snippets of notes and conversations from over 40 years prior. While I appreciate the authenticity of the events, Johnson’s colorful imagery and military jargon, and the often untold perspective of the Vietnam War from Korea, this story is dated.

There were no major errors within the text and the addition of the military jargon at the beginning of each chapter maintained the military minded feel of the writing. Additionally, the addition of Korean words added a sense of authenticity and believable nature to Jenson’s character.

I rate this work of fiction 3 out of 4 stars. While there are no grammatical or syntax errors, Wayne Johnson seems to have fallen short in presenting a new and enticing perspective on an often written about topic. This work would have warranted a 4 out of 4 star rating had Johnson authored something new and different that the expected wartime book. Unfortunately, The Militarized Zone: What Did You Do in the Army, Grandpa? reads as other fictional military farce works of this time.

The Militarized Zone
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KarinaBordas's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is a wonderful book. Your review is well-written also. I will have to read this book. It is funny how Jenson schemed his way up the ranks so as to avoid the war front as much as possible. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

This seems like a really great book that will leave a lot of lesson to the readers. The review is well written, thanks for reviewing this book. You made the book more interesting and intriguing.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

My first impression from the title and the cover was that it was another war book, and I was ready to skim over it. However, realizing that it's a comic portrayal of this man's adventures through the Korean War made me look twice. Insightful review which leaves me curious to try this one. Many thanks.
KarinaBordas

Post by KarinaBordas »

Kibetious wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 23:49 This is a wonderful book. Your review is well-written also. I will have to read this book. It is funny how Jenson schemed his way up the ranks so as to avoid the war front as much as possible. Thanks for the review.
Thank you! I hope you enjoy it!
KarinaBordas

Post by KarinaBordas »

sonya01 wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 04:19 My first impression from the title and the cover was that it was another war book, and I was ready to skim over it. However, realizing that it's a comic portrayal of this man's adventures through the Korean War made me look twice. Insightful review which leaves me curious to try this one. Many thanks.
I appreciated the comedic aspects as well!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

In the review text, you have rated it a 3 out of 4, however, just beneath the book cover, it's posted as 4 out of 4. :shock: I was intrigued by the book cover and the title but I am not up for a hackneyed wartime fiction. Thanks for the candid review!
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

In the spirit of M*A*S*H, this sounds like a fun satirical exploration - despite the recycled themes. Thank you for the introduction to this book.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the lovely review. I'm glad that the military experiences portrayed are rather authentic due to the author's experience. It is a pity about the recycled themes indeed, like what Eva mentioned.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”