Official Review: The Ordinary Doll by Mario Kiefer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: The Ordinary Doll by Mario Kiefer

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Ordinary Doll" by Mario Kiefer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

On a road trip to his hometown in Texas, Mateo retrieves a box of childhood keepsakes including an old doll that's seen better days. Along the drive, his partner, Parker, inquires about Mateo's humble family beginnings as migrant workers. He is particularly interested in Aunt Luciana who survived a horrific tragedy as a young girl. The Ordinary Doll is a suspense novel by Mario Kiefer that follows Luciana's journey from the time her childhood dreams of a better life are replaced by despair and suffering until her path to recovery takes some unforeseen twists and turns.

It was a morning like any other on the day the monster invaded her home. As she stirred the daily pot of beans cooking on the stove, Luciana was holding her baby brother, Gus, and comforting him with the little doll her siblings had received as a shared Christmas gift. When she heard a loud bang, she attempted to shield the baby. She noticed the doll drop to the floor and felt a bee-like sting at the back of her neck before everything faded to darkness. Plagued by nightmares, Luciana feared that the cucuy, the Hispanic bogeyman, was aware of her jealousy toward her older sister and that she received the punishment she deserved. After her first love, Tomas was sent to fight in the Vietnam war, his letters were the only thing that brought her hope. When the doctors were unable to help her, Luciana remembered the broken doll and wondered if anyone could ever love her. As the story unfolds, with strength and determination, Luciana battles her fears and forges a new reality.

This skillfully crafted story features a cast of well-developed characters that readers may relate to their own family members. Though Luciana's family was poor, the universal themes of love, family relationships, conflict, and desiring more for our children apply to most any family. Steeped in the Spanish language, culture, and folklore, the author effectively uses dialogue and world events in recent history to propel the story spanning fifty years. Though an understanding of the Spanish language is not required, the reader is introduced to words such as "braceros," "cucuy," and "Lechuza" which are defined within the text. Additionally, there is a glossary at the end of the book with Spanish words and definitions for gringos like me.

It's difficult to convey what I enjoyed most about this book without revealing any spoilers. I can safely say that I love a plot that takes a turn that catches me completely off-guard, as was the case with this psychological suspense. I was savoring the comfortable pace of the book, just beginning to wonder about the implications of the psychological suspense genre and did not see the twist coming. All I can say is...wait for it! Additionally, I appreciated the symbolism of the doll that was broken and mended and passed down through the family. Luciana saw herself and her desire to be loved in the repaired doll, and it was fitting that the story began and concluded with the doll.

I'm pleased to rate this thought-provoking book 4 out of 4 stars. It appears to have been professionally edited, as I noted only a single error. I recommend it to readers who enjoy psychological suspense. It will also appeal to those who appreciate Hispanic culture and folklore.

The Ordinary Doll
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

I love the psychological suspense aspect of this book but somehow not too keen on the sound of this one. You’ve written a great review tho, and really seemed to have enjoyed it, so maybe it’s worth a try. Thank you.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

This sounds like this book will be an intriguing read to me. My curiosity piqued when I reached this part of your review "...the story began and concluded with the doll." I really need to check this out.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, it sounds like a really well written psychological drama and I do like a twist.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

sonya01 wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 02:25 I love the psychological suspense aspect of this book but somehow not too keen on the sound of this one. You’ve written a great review tho, and really seemed to have enjoyed it, so maybe it’s worth a try. Thank you.
Thanks for your comment, Sonya.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 03:00 This sounds like this book will be an intriguing read to me. My curiosity piqued when I reached this part of your review "...the story began and concluded with the doll." I really need to check this out.
I appreciate your comment. I hope you enjoy the book.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Helen_Combe wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 03:33 Great review, it sounds like a really well written psychological drama and I do like a twist.
Thank you, Helen. :tiphat:
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I love psychological thrillers! Whenever I see your name on a review, Cecilia, I know for a fact that I will embark on a rich, honest and eloquent insight. Thank you heaps! :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

High praise once again. It's hard to believe that someone would think they deserve that kind of "punishment." I'm interested already to see what happens in Luciana's life. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

That book cover is kind of creepy. This sounds a little frightful, like something I should only read in the middle of the day with the doors locked and the alarm on! Wonderful review. I am riveted. I wish you could have said more, but I'm also glad you didn't say more as I'm left with enough suspense to want to drop right in.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This is going to be a read full of suspense. Psychological thrillers will keep you up at night :). A good read for those that like Hispanic culture. Will pass on this.
Thank you for the review
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 07:07 I love psychological thrillers! Whenever I see your name on a review, Cecilia, I know for a fact that I will embark on a rich, honest and eloquent insight. Thank you heaps! :techie-studyingbrown:
Ruba, thank you for your kind words! I think you will like this one!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 08:27 High praise once again. It's hard to believe that someone would think they deserve that kind of "punishment." I'm interested already to see what happens in Luciana's life. Thanks for the review.
Regarding the punishment, I agree. Thank you for commenting.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kfwilson6 wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 09:31 That book cover is kind of creepy. This sounds a little frightful, like something I should only read in the middle of the day with the doors locked and the alarm on! Wonderful review. I am riveted. I wish you could have said more, but I'm also glad you didn't say more as I'm left with enough suspense to want to drop right in.
Yes, the doll on the cover is creepy--but she's not in the book! Thanks for your comment. :)
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

T_stone wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 10:38 This is going to be a read full of suspense. Psychological thrillers will keep you up at night :). A good read for those that like Hispanic culture. Will pass on this.
Thank you for the review
Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”