4 Great Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Re: 4 Great Classic Books

Post by bookowlie »

Catcher in the Rye - A must read and probably the #1 classic on most people's list. I don't know any serious reader who hasn't read it more than once.
1984 - I first read this in high school and didn't fully appreciate it until reading it again years later.
I would add To Kill a Mockingbird to the list. Perfect writing, perfect characters, perfect story.....a gem of a book.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
AaronMoshe1989
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AaronMoshe1989 »

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas could be counted as a classic...it has classical motifs in it.
meghannnelson13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghannnelson13.html

Post by meghannnelson13 »

I love all of these books! My favorite by far is 1984! I read it in AP Language and Composition last year. It really changed the way I look at the government and what our world is falling into. There are so many similarities between our government now and the book.
vadadagon
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: Emma
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vadadagon.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by vadadagon »

I read 1984 and it was a great story (very depressing but great). Haven't read the others but I might give of Mice and Men a try and if I'm feeling a suicidal mood The Catcher and the Rye ;-).

A great book that is never mentioned anywhere is Johnny got his gun.

The book was authored by Dalton Trumbo and it is an anti-war novel but told from the perspective of a wounded war fighter.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."

Mrs. Bennet
dagbjortxox
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dagbjortxox.html

Post by dagbjortxox »

Of mice and men is no doubt so powerful and amazing book. I read it in one sitting and it left me in tears, the way they care for each other. All I have to say, it's honestly worth reading, I love it. But the other three books, I haven't read them, mostly because I don't live in the US and the schools didn't make us read them. But I am really interested in reading them so maybe one day I will pick them up!
Poe_vs_King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poe-vs-king.html

Post by Poe_vs_King »

I've read Mice and Men and F. 451, Both I'd put in high spots on my list. I have not read Catcher in the Rye, but I bought it at a tag sale a year ago and now it's mocking me from my book shelf until I read it.
book_fanatic1

Post by book_fanatic1 »

of these the only one that stands out to me is of mice and men. it has been about 5 or 6 years since i last read it and i can remember nothing remarkable about it. if it had not been turned into a movie it would probably have been forgotten about a long time ago
MaragothThorn
Favorite Author: GK Chesterton
Favorite Book: Father Elijah by Michael D. OBrien
Currently Reading: Skin by Ted Dekker
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maragoththorn.html
Latest Review: "Bad Endings" by David Bussell

Post by MaragothThorn »

George Orwell's 1984 is one of my absolute favorites.

-- 01 Dec 2014, 10:53 --

George Orwell's 1984 is one of my absolute favorites.
Latest Review: "Bad Endings" by David Bussell
jmeza10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmeza10.html

Post by jmeza10 »

I have read 1984 by George Orwell and of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. Both are great reads and i wish i could say that i have read the other two but i haven't. I have heard good things from the other two but for sure i'll be putting them on my to read list.
“It is said that power corrupts, but actually it's more true that power attracts the corruptible. The sane are usually attracted by other things than power" — David Brin
jgreen11
Currently Reading: Deception Point
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgreen11.html
Latest Review: "Within the stars" by Rachela marie lavita

Post by jgreen11 »

Fantastic books. I think a good book is one that makes you think, and all four of these do just that! Though Fahrenheit 451 and 1984 are my favorites.
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
Luke 12:34
Latest Review: "Within the stars" by Rachela marie lavita
mainstreethouse

Post by mainstreethouse »

Of the books you have listed, I must say I enjoyed Of Mice and Men much more than the others. However, I cannot say that I liked it half as well as other classics, especially those written mostly for women. Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, and Sense and Sensibility are three definite favorites.
Amna reads

Post by Amna reads »

I need to start reading more classics!
tlauren

Post by tlauren »

Great reads, I've read all but 'Of Mice and Men'. :)
ejkiser
Favorite Author: Nelson DeMille
Publishing Contest Votes: 4
fav_author_id: 16710

Post by ejkiser »

Classics all. I love to re-read Orwell and Salinger. Seems like I discover something new every time. Thanks.
MHaswell15
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: Bag Of Bones
Currently Reading: Justifiable Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhaswell15.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by MHaswell15 »

Catcher in the Rye is only 224 pages long & it took me the better part of a month to
get through it. It wasn't so much the characters or the plot but the way it would get
draggy at certain points. I have a problem with books that don't have a consistent
flow/rhythm to them~it makes it difficult for me to keep my interest. I know it
sounds a little ADD, but I like my books fast paced. I wouldn't say it was one of
Salinger's best works.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”