4 Great Classic Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Re: 4 Great Classic Books

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I have only read one of the books - Of mice and men.

But one day I definitely want to tackle The Catcher in the Rye.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
fitzthegreat
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fitzthegreat.html

Post by fitzthegreat »

Fahrenheit 451 is one of my favorite books. Great list, definitely all classics!
Gobberz1990
Favorite Author: Harry Turtledove
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading: Ratlines by Stuart Neville
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gobberz1990.html

Post by Gobberz1990 »

All excellent reads though personally, I have only read 1984 and, Of Mice and Men. Both are excellently well-written stories that contain characters that you can believe in and to some extent, have differing levels of sympathy for.
Timea
Favorite Author: Edgar A. Poe
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =1580">The Dimension Scales and Other Stories</a>
Currently Reading: Arhipelagul Gulag I
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timea.html
Latest Review: "Murder Inc." by Christian Cipollini

Post by Timea »

I only read Of Mice an Men, and it is one of my favorite books too. However, the other three I want to read for a while now...
Latest Review: "Murder Inc." by Christian Cipollini
Ropis
Favorite Author: Stephen King
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Ropis »

I'm currently reading "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury and so far I enjoying it. The "Nineteen Eighty-Four" by George Orwell is one of my top 100 favorites! But I really didn't like reading "The Catcher in the Rye" by J. D. Salinger, sorry folks!
BookCover

Post by BookCover »

What is the definition of a classic book?
cia1018
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cia1018.html

Post by cia1018 »

Have not read Fahrenheit 451 but I will add to my must read list
TanaCarder1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanacarder1.html

Post by TanaCarder1 »

I'm behind in my classics. 1984 was horrifying.
BethOBrien
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethobrien.html

Post by BethOBrien »

The first three of those modern classics are some of my favourite books! I've yet to read Fahrenheit 451 but it's on my TBR!
LozMel9

Post by LozMel9 »

Catcher in the Rye didn't stand out much for me. Perhaps I should read it again.

1984 was AMAZING however! A terrifying book from a favourite author
Hermes

Post by Hermes »

I reread 1984 every few years and each time recognise another of his predictions coming to fruition. A work of genius that is as intelligent as it is scary.
slsakuno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slsakuno.html

Post by slsakuno »

I remember reading "Of Mice and Men" back in high school. It was a special assignment for my final exams and it was the hardest and greatest read ever.
I definitely would recommend this one, especially to the young readers, it helped me to appreciate that time more and the hardships from the depression.
mellysw
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellysw.html

Post by mellysw »

I have read all four of these books, and enjoyed them all. I probably enjoyed Bradbury's best. Mice and Men was good, but I preferred The Grapes of Wrath. The Grapes of Wrath is a larger and more complex story but it is all the better for it.

Tristan and Isolde is a classical romance I recommend to anyone, with a warning that the hero and heroine are so frustrating they make me want to shake them. If he loves her, she loves him but wants nothing to do with him. But then she will start chasing after him and he will be all "Dueces". Alright, it is a LITTLE bit paraphrased, but between the two of them they are enough to enrage even the most patient and hopeful of readers. By the end of it I was muttering "Good riddance" even while I bawled. Maybe it was just the version I read, but it was the most wonderfully frustrating story I have ever adored.

One of my all-time favorite classics is A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. It is the tale of a little girl growing up in depression era Brooklyn. I have always felt a kinship with Francie, and the way she plowed through library books inspired me to do the same when I was in eleventh grade. Alas, I was not quite as dedicated as Francie. The book is full of wonderful descriptions of depression era life and enthralling, living characters. You hate and love her charming, wastrel father who adores his little girl but can't seem to get his act together. You hate and love her mother who has had the spark of life worked right out of her, but will defend her daughter's right to throw coffee away if she wants too. I probably read this book once a year or so, and recommend it to anyone and everyone.
davidhan

Post by davidhan »

Hi!
I've already read 1984, and it is one of the best books I have ever read. I never read the other ones but I read a book that despite being a bit crazy is very creative and unbelievably well written.That book is One hundred years of solitude and it was written by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. You should really read it. It's mind blowing!
Gizemkuzu
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gizemkuzu.html

Post by Gizemkuzu »

The Catcher in the Rye was not for me I think or I should read it again but it was okay. 1984 is absolutely amazing! I haven't read the other two but they're on my to-read list.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”