Official Review: The Author Is Dead by Ches Smith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: The Author Is Dead by Ches Smith

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Author Is Dead" by Ches Smith.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After a failed marriage and recent suicide attempt, Ches is a depressed writer looking for inspiration when he stumbles upon a chance encounter with an intriguing stranger, Thalia. After her subsequent murder and haunting visitations, she becomes his muse, setting the stage for the dark comedy, The Author is Dead by Ches Smith. Is Thalia a ghost or merely a wishful hallucination? Just how far will Ches go to get his book published?

A computer tech who hates technology, Ches is determined to become a published author so he can quit his day job at a public middle school in Houston, Texas. In search of inspiration, he frequents the local mall to engage in people watching where he has perfected the art of creating small meals out of food court samples. During his mall routine, he meets Thalia, a free-spirited punk rocker who is in a band named Zombie Cowgirls and immediately becomes infatuated. When he learns that she was murdered soon after leaving the mall, Ches becomes obsessed with writing her story. The plot thickens when he begins to have visitations from his new muse and is threatened by her unstable sister, Calliope. More twists and turns follow as Ches is reluctantly enlisted to create a website for the Pencils Down Movement, an anonymous group of middle-schoolers rebelling against standardized testing. As pressures mount, his actions become increasingly erratic as his grasp on reality blurs.

Written in first-person narrative with a healthy dose of sarcasm, this irreverent dark comedy had me laughing out loud as Smith parodied his character's obsession to become a published author at any cost. The book was well-written, fun to read, and hard to put down, and its ending was the pièce de résistance. The characters were well-developed and relatable in a dysfunctionally endearing sort of way.

Being born and raised in Houston, I particularly enjoyed the amusing but accurate references to Texas. "Texas has at least 365 seasons a year," and "Standardized testing in Texas is a revered pastime, like high school football, or Christmas," were a few examples that made me smile. The book's subplot about opting out of standardized testing was presented in a comical way but was also spot-on, as I have family members in the Houston area that have experienced similar issues. Additionally, the Pencils Down Manifesto was a clever and effective way to sneak in relevant information related to standardized testing amidst the otherwise humorous content.

My least favorite aspect of the book was the amount of R-rated profanity. I realize it's a personal preference, but I'm of the opinion that it could have been just as funny minus the expletives. Considering the language, I would only recommend the book to a mature audience. Even so, the creativity and comedic value are worth a 4 out of 4 star rating. It appears to have been professionally edited as I only noted a few spacing errors which may have related to the ePub version I read. Readers who enjoy dark comedies and satire are likely to appreciate the book.

The Author Is Dead
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
asere_maryanne
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by asere_maryanne »

The title got me interested. The review says the book is so interesting, the comedy, well developed characters and the twists and turns will definitely make the book hard to put down. Thank you for the pleasant review.
barry_176
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by barry_176 »

Interesting review and proves to great work by Ches Smith. Looking forward to reading this book.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like you really enjoyed the book. I think the references to Texas would go over my head having never lived there. In addition, I just don't think I'm in the mood for a dark comedy right now. I'll keep it in mind, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Judging from your review, this book seems to have a solid plot and well-developed characters. However, I am not sure if I will relate to this book due to so many references to Texas. Hence, I will pass this one. Thanks for the review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

asere_maryanne wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 02:17 The title got me interested. The review says the book is so interesting, the comedy, well developed characters and the twists and turns will definitely make the book hard to put down. Thank you for the pleasant review.
Thank you for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

barry_176 wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 04:12 Interesting review and proves to great work by Ches Smith. Looking forward to reading this book.
Thank you, Barry.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 08:34 Sounds like you really enjoyed the book. I think the references to Texas would go over my head having never lived there. In addition, I just don't think I'm in the mood for a dark comedy right now. I'll keep it in mind, though. Thanks.
Thanks for stopping by and for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 09:22 Judging from your review, this book seems to have a solid plot and well-developed characters. However, I am not sure if I will relate to this book due to so many references to Texas. Hence, I will pass this one. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for your comment.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for your detailed review. It sounds like a book that most writers will like and may even find a bit inspiring?
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Allyseria wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 14:04 Thank you for your detailed review. It sounds like a book that most writers will like and may even find a bit inspiring?
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

The cover and title drew my attention, but the plot certainly sounds interesting, and I like how various subplots are incorporated. Thank you for your review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

daydreaming reader wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 17:48 The cover and title drew my attention, but the plot certainly sounds interesting, and I like how various subplots are incorporated. Thank you for your review.
Agyei Kofi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Agyei Kofi »

Judging from your review, this book seems to have a solid plot and well-developed characters. However, I am not sure if I will relate to this book due to so many references to Texas. Hence, I will pass this one. Thanks for the review!
ChristineV1999
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by ChristineV1999 »

The title got me concious, there's a lot of twists in this book, I would love to read this it's so intriguing. Thank you for this lovely review

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”