The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson (spoilers)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CSG
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson (spoilers)

Post by CSG »

I'm thoroughly enjoying reading this book. It's different from my usual selection, but the story is intriguing. I'm only 2/3 way through but I think I know where it's headed...or maybe not...it's kept me guessing so far.

Are there any other fans of the story?
HM

Post by HM »

I have never read a book like this ever. I have my own little niche of things I like to read (classics, historical fiction, biographies), and this was definitely not my usual fare, but I was blown away. The vignettes were my favorite parts.

And I've also already cast the movie version in my mind. :) Eric Bana and Helena Bonham Carter, or Jennifer Connelly. :D
CSG

Post by CSG »

LOL - I haven't pictured who could play the female lead in "The Gargoyle" movie, but for some crazy reason I picture a young Eric Roberts as the lead. Let's see for the female - I can't get past the description of her "wild hair", so it would have to be a female with thick, black curls. Hmmm...gonna have to think on this one.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I found this book when it first came out. Everything about it intrigued me, and I kept meaning to read it.

Just recently, while perusing the clearence section, there it was.
Needless to say, I had to have it.

So...I read it.

I almost DNF'd it, several times.
The main character was impossible to sympathize with, and whenever I thought he was getting better, he regressed.

Marianne Engel saved this book. I am happy that I stuck with it.

Marianne and her stories made this book bearable, and the end was beautiful. I just wish I hadn't had to slog through what I did to get to the good stuff.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”