Official Review: Henrietha: Waiting for the World to Chan...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Official Review: Henrietha: Waiting for the World to Chan...

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Henrietha: Waiting for the World to Change book 2" by Joyce M. Johnson.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Henrietha – Waiting for the World to Change book 2 is a thought-provoking and heart-touching fictitious novel. It is the second book of the series, Henrietha, written by Joyce M. Johnson. Henrietha and Joana, two older women who are best-friends, share their fair shares of challenges in life as they catch up with each other after some time apart. Henrietha recalls not just her own sufferings, but also those of her child, Melinda-Sue, and her granddaughter, Ruth. After Ruth’s father lends in jail, Melinda-Sue finds herself getting married to Jason, who then sexually abuses Ruth from the tender age of five years old, for seven years. Although Melinda-Sue knew what was happening, she sided with her husband and insisted that Ruth kept mum about it.

After Melinda-Sue gets imprisoned on the charges related to drugs, Jason would lock Ruth outside the house at night because she rebelled and went to church when he told her not to. When Ruth turns fifteen, she visits her biological father who recently got out of prison. But what does this mean for Ruth? Now that daddy’s home, will she receive love and protection from her father and be a child again? Or is her birth father a sexual pervert like her stepfather?

I liked that the stories shared in the book covered a wide range of themes. Those themes included gender, power, race, religion, love, guilt, stigma, and class. I also enjoyed reading about these women’s stories, as they successfully painted vivid pictures of the events they recalled. Although their stories were engulfed in sadness, they added a twist of humor occasionally to lighten up the reader from the darkness of the tales.

The book was poorly edited. There were a handful of spelling mistakes, wrong use of punctuation and the sentence construction was disastrous in some cases. I spent more time than I was meant to reading this book because I was attempting to make sense of what Johnson was trying to say. I found the book to be untidy in that one chapter seemed to be way better edited than the other. It was as though they were not written by the same person.

I, therefore, rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. This is due to the editorial errors I encounter when reading the book which made it more of an effort than a pleasure to read this novel. I am not giving the book a lesser rating than I have because it touched on important issues which have gruesome effects on our lives as individuals, and our societies.

The book featured a great number of Bible verses, therefore, I would recommend this book to those who conform to the Christian belief or anyone not offended by its principles. Otherwise, anyone who wants to get a good holistic view on how one issue in the society, such as racism, can aid in creating other more disturbing issues, such as stigma and segregation, can be enlightened by reading this book.

Henrietha: Waiting for the World to Change book 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like mtsnel006's review? Post a comment saying so!
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Being sexually harassed from the tender age of 5 until 12 years old must have been very painful for Ruth, and to think that her grandmother did nothing about it is even more heartbreaking. It's sad that the book was poorly edited. Enchanting review!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

The editing must have been really shoddy that compelled you to deduct two stars because you have not mentioned any cons of this book. Other than the fact that this book deals with dark themes, I could not find any lacunae pertaining to this book in your review. In that case, I will prefer to stay away from this book because reading it seems more like a pain in the neck. Thanks for the review!
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

This book seems to cover a wide variety of topics. I think I would enjoy that it does touch on such topics and that it includes Bible verses. However, a poorly edited book can make an enjoyable book not worth the effort.
Mac :techie-reference:
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Lots of deep topics in this book. Not sure it sounds like pleasurable reading, but I guess may be important reading. I don't think worth fighting through the editing errors to read. Thanks for the great and honest review!
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

Sounds like an interesting story, but poor editing is always a turn off! Thanks for an honest review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

It's horrendous for a child to be sexually abused for 7years, and the mother siding with the abuser. Really sad. I also can't stand unedited books.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”