Official Review: Tramps, Thieves and IT by Val Grian

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: Tramps, Thieves and IT by Val Grian

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tramps, Thieves and IT" by Val Grian.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Despite having a strong aversion to anything that pertains to doing actual work—and denying his father’s request for him to become a lawyer—Alan has managed to pave his own way to financial independence by raking in a whopping amount of money smuggling drugs. In his latest deal alone, he successfully sweeps home a cool forty thousand dollars. Satisfied with himself, he happily drives home unaware that his whole world is about to be turned upside down. Meanwhile, George, who has been down on his luck for years (spending most of them being homeless) is about to have his life turn around. His decisions henceforth open doors that he wouldn’t have ever dreamed possible.

Tramps, Thieves and IT by Val Grian is a humorous fiction novel that follows its main characters through the adventures and misadventures that life throws at them featuring their hilarious responses and angst-filled desperation to the hands being dealt.

Val Grian’s bold and unique voice pulled me into the world of the characters. Not only was the writing engaging, but it captivated me and flowed smoothly that I barely felt the pages slipping by. I appreciated how the narrator’s personality and hands-on narration elevated and complemented the narrative. In addition, the use of description painted a clear picture of the unfolding events, the characters’ actions, and thoughts. Throughout the narrative, the author expertly shifts the mood and situations, which kept things interesting and stirred different emotions within me. I love a good laugh, so it goes without saying that I absolutely relished the big dose of effortless humor injected into the narrative.

This was such a fun book to read. I loved that it didn’t waste any time before delivering the drama and action. Moreover, the amusing storyline held my attention all the way to the end. A number of interesting twist and turns made their way into the narrative, including a jaw-dropping plot-twist, that left me stunned and questioning the events that I had just read. Did I really read what I just read? Did that actually happen? This has to be a characters dream or something. This twist added a fascinating dimension to the narrative.

One of my favorite aspects of the novel is that the characters’ backstories were revealed gradually. This aroused my endless curiosity and further piqued my interest. I desperately wanted to know all the details, decisions, and circumstances that led the characters to the situations they found themselves in. All this kept me glued to the book keenly anticipating the next nugget of information. The backstories added depth to the story and gave me a whole new outlook on the characters. The main characters came across as believable, and I found myself genuinely caring about what happened to them. I also appreciated the colorful set of supporting characters. Another aspect that I really enjoyed was the shift in focus to different characters. This kept things refreshing and added an element of suspense.

Overall, this was an entertaining and memorable read from an author to watch. The only thing that kept me from flying through its pages were the frequent grammatical and typographical errors I encountered. The number of obvious errors found did not allow me to award the novel 4 stars, which is why I rate this otherwise awesome read 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to those who enjoy good humor and adventure in their fiction. My only warning is that you do not start reading it before bedtime because if you do, you won’t want to put the book down.

Tramps, Thieves and IT
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ritah's review? Post a comment saying so!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

ritah wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 04:25
My only warning is that you do not start reading it before bedtime because if you do, you won’t want to put the book down.
A humorous fiction novel that is unputdownable - seems like a masterpiece in making. I will definitely check this one out. Thanks for the fantastic review!
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

ritah wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 04:25 The number of obvious errors found did not allow me to award the novel 4 stars, which is why I rate this otherwise awesome read 3 out of 4 stars.
Is it just me or is that starting to become a common theme in Online Book Club reviews where the only thing really wrong with the book is the spelling errors? Heck, it's the same thing with the book I'm currently reading. It's a really interesting story, but twice intact was written as in tact. Really makes you think what's up with these authors that they would spend all this time trying to craft a good story but would overlook such obvious things.

But enough of my little rant. You wrote a really nice review. And you just had to leave us wondering what turns Alan's life upside down. Definitely piqued my interest.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Aside from making me feel that smuggling drugs may be the way to earn my fortune, this sounds like quite an intriguing. I really could go for a nice, humorous story at the moment. I'll have to look into this. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Books with drug smugglers are entertaining, I mostly like to see their regret and danger they always encounter along the way. Glad to know that the book is humorous. I hope there are mafias involved too. It will be more enjoyable. Enchanting review!
ChristineV1999
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by ChristineV1999 »

Books like this make me feel conscious, but also it will be great if I would read this while I'm at rest, not at night! But in the morning. You said that I wont be putting down the book if I read it at bedtime :) It seems like it is so interesting to read. I would love to read this book. Thank you for sharing this review
Likey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Likey »

I read this book and I loved it. Like ritah mentioned, it is really very hard to put aside once you've started reading it. I loved the story and the way it is written. Nearly laughed my ears off a few times.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A humorous fiction tale revolving around the life of two characters, a drug smuggler and a tramp, sounds amusing. The change in fortune reminds me of the "The Prince and the Pauper" tale. A unique voice, humorous tone, and unputdownable tale make it a good read for fans of the genre. Hopefully, those editing errors were fixed by now. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
jolener23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jolener23.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jolener23 »

This sounds like a book I've been waiting to read! I'm starting today. Thanks for an amazing review!
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by skindrukas »

I'm curious how Alan and George are related in the story. Love the humor and twists. Must have this book on my to-read list!
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

This sounds like a very entertaining humorous fiction novel. I love that it's described as hard to put down. I look forward to reading it. Thanks for the great review
Evince
Currently Reading: House of Eire
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evince.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Post by Evince »

I'm curious how Alan and George are related in the story. Love the humor and twists. Must have this book on my to-read list!
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

This is a great review that increases my interest in this book! I want to know how Alan and George's lives intertwine. Thanks for calling out the good characterization and humor- those always make me much more likely to read a book. :)
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Sumbule1
Currently Reading: The Five Musketeers
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumbule1.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Sumbule1 »

Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Such an entertaining read for fans of this genre. Thanks for the excellent review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”