Official Review: Earthships, book 2 by Bonnie Jane Hall

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Official Review: Earthships, book 2 by Bonnie Jane Hall

Post by Mercelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Earthships, book 2" by Bonnie Jane Hall.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When the year is 2035, and a young American woman narrates the on-goings of her life, she transports the reader to a world that's far from what we know today. Global warming is out of control, resulting in erratic weather patterns and the scarcity of essential commodities.

Bonnie Jane Hall's boldness prevails as she dissects these issues in Earthships, Book 2. In this work of fiction, Laurel Campbell lives with her family in Idaho; building underground Earthships for a living. The story focuses on her job, her family life, her political opinions, with the icing on the cake being how she and her family wade through these tumultuous times.

It's ironic that in an age where man has made significant technological advances, ordinary citizens have a less than ideal quality of life. The robots have taken over, leaving a majority of the population jobless. Laurel and her family are striving to stay above the poverty line, but their efforts are often diminished by outlaws whose only aim is to steal what little they have, coupled with frequent natural disasters that threaten to destroy their home. I applaud the author for integrating this theme into the story, as it projects a foreseeable future for many who will be hard-hit when the humanoid revolution sets in.

Although the government tries to offset the citizens' suffering by providing welfare for everyone, that doesn't address the core of the problem; high levels of CO2 in the atmosphere. A direct result of this is mass immigration due to uninhabitable environments, a rise in sea level, never-before-seen weather patterns like tornadoes in Idaho, and rapid extinction of animals. I'm not vegan, but I was especially pleased that in a bid to save the animals, the government placed a ban on poaching and commercial animal farming.

This book was eerily realistic; I often forgot that I was reading a work of fiction. I appreciate that it's written in the first-person perspective, as it felt like I was listening to Laurel narrate the reality of life in the Anthropocene. Amidst the chaos, Laurel and her family maintain a strong bond and have put measures in place to ensure that each of them is well-equipped with crucial survival skills. They also do their best to reduce carbon emissions; relying on electric vehicles and horses for transportation.

Eye-opening is how I'll describe this book because It induced a flash-forward of my life to the year 2035. Then, I want to live in a world better than what Laurel and her family presented. I also started thinking about the effects of climate change, a topic that rarely crosses my mind. Each chapter also opens with a powerful quote to which the events of the section relate. I was especially delighted when I came across a quote from Tolstoy. Earthships, Book 2 being the second book in a series, I can attest that it reads as a stand-alone. Readers who haven't read its predecessor need not be put off.

The story ends in juicy suspense, which serves as a building block for Earthships, Book 3. As I encountered some typos, mostly misspelled words, my rating for this book drops to 3 out of 4 stars. It's a thought-provoking read that I would recommend to preppers, environmentalists, climate change enthusiasts, policy makers, and educators.

Earthships, book 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

To me it seems like a book that's mostly concerned about spreading a message and those kinds of stories don't appeal to me. I mean, that's what non-fiction is for.

Anyway, you wrote a nice review. I'm glad that you found it enjoyable and it made you think about the world in a different way.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

AliceofX wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 03:09 To me it seems like a book that's mostly concerned about spreading a message and those kinds of stories don't appeal to me. I mean, that's what non-fiction is for.

Anyway, you wrote a nice review. I'm glad that you found it enjoyable and it made you think about the world in a different way.
It's actually a fictional story set in the future.

Thank you for your feedback though.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for your review! I love books that are able to make their world very realistic that we start to think that it's happening at the moment! I think I'll give this book a try :)
Ams Strong
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ams-strong.html
Latest Review: Frank: The Collection by Tara Basi

Post by Ams Strong »

This is an accurate review, but I think the author would have mentioned that the author spent too much time on trivial discussions (mostly about political messages) and did not develop an intriguing plot. The start of the book got me hooked, but the suspense faded quickly as soon as the storyline shifted to a climate change lecture.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”