Official Review: Crime Rhymes: From Bad to Verse

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
MsTri
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 266
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15362">The Prodigal Son</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 327
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Lucifer Son of the Morning by Anthony Dean jr and Bonita Green
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Official Review: Crime Rhymes: From Bad to Verse

Post by MsTri » 13 Sep 2018, 15:37

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Crime Rhymes: From Bad to Verse" by Dixie J. Whitted.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

MsTri sat down to write
about a book that was such a delight.
It had a lot of rhymes,
rhymes about crimes.
Her amusement rarely reaches such height.

Lawless limericks and punny (the author's word) poems and quirky cartoons, oh my! Such are the writings included in Dixie J. Whitted's hilarious collection, Crime Rhymes: From Bad to Verse. Inside of this short tome are over two-hundred poems - mostly limericks with a few two to four stanza type rhymes - and one short story, all about crime.

A quick glance at my reviews will show that I love murder and mayhem-based stories, so this collection was like human catnip for me; I got a big kick out of reading dozens of mini-CTMH tales. The book starts off with approximately 60 pages of poems pertaining to crime, encompassing everything from thievery to forgery to murder. Aside from the short story that ends the tome, this was my favorite part of the collection. Many of the murderous poems were about uxoricide and mariticide (murder of one's wife or husband, respectively), with the wives in question being harridans. I especially liked the ones that involved famous people, real or fictional. The following limerick, for instance, involves the sparring couple from Gone With the Wind (which also just so happens to be my favorite movie):
“I’LL NEVER BE HUNGRY AGAIN …”
Scarlett’s kidnappers wrote, “Come and get ‘er!”
And they added, “The sooner, the better!”
Rhett might have complied
And recovered his bride,
But Rhett’s setter had eaten the letter …
Following the general crime section were two chapters of more poetry, but with specific slants to them. The first chapter had poems starring Sherlock Holmes, John Watson, and the rest of their cronies. While I do like Holmes well enough, this section was my least favorite part; I just didn't find the poems to be as engaging. The chapter that followed starred Lizzie Borden, her parents, and the other people surrounding her. While slightly more interesting than Sherlock's section, I still wasn't too enamored of the pieces in this part. The tome ended with a very short story (14 Kindle pages) titled The Adventure of the Stainless Spinster. This tale involved a discussion between Holmes and Watson wherein Holmes is defending Borden's acquittal to a befuddled Watson. Even though I wasn't too keen on the previous two sections, I thought this was a wonderful way in which to tie the previous two chapters together. Also, I've always been fascinated by the Borden case, so I was completely entranced by this yarn. I didn't know all the minute details of the murder, but the author has obviously done her research, and she pieced together a well-written and logical piece, making arguments that gave me pause time and again. I've never read an actual Holmes book, so I don't know how well Ms. Whitted replicated Mr. Doyle's writings, but I do know that I very much enjoyed the story. The partners' speech also convinced me that I was listening in on a conversation taking place at 221B Baker Street, London in the late 1800s.

Sprinkled throughout the tome were illustrations that I believe to be hand-drawn by the author. They reminded me of the style used in the cartoon, The Far Side, and I found them to be a welcome addition to the book. In fact, there were times that looking at the picture cleared up confusion as to the content of the relevant poem or confirmed the pun behind the ditty. For instance, one of the poems reads,
PURR-FECT CRIME
O’Neal reassured Miss MacFee,
“Your jewels don’t interest me.”
As he stuffed her Maltese
Into his valise,
He said, “I’m a cat burglar, you see.”
Even though I did "get" the limerick just by reading it, the included picture of a burglar holding a feline over his bag made it all the funnier. With that being said, there were still a few poems that went over my head, but it didn't decrease my overall enjoyment factor any.

Since most of this tome was comprised of poetry, grammar wasn't much of an issue, but I did notice a few missteps in the short story, all of them having to do with commas. With that being said, many of the placements, or lack thereof, could be a matter of preference rather than hard and fast rules, so I will not mark the whole book down due to what I perceive as very minor "errors".

With all things considered, I'm pleased to give Crime Rhymes 4 out of 4 stars. Without hesitation, I highly recommend this collection to fans of poetry (especially limericks), readers who are interested in Sherlock Holmes and/or Lizzie Borden, and those who like short bites of literary crime.

Her review all done,
MsTri put her hair in a bun,
kicked back on the sofa,
said, "Well, that's over",
and looked up Ms. Whitted's next one.

Crime Rhymes: From Bad to Verse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!

Debjani Ghosh
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 145
Currently Reading: Days of the Giants
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by Debjani Ghosh » 14 Sep 2018, 02:04

A "limericky" review for a book on limericks! I am already sold on your review to pick up this book. Thanks for the review!

Mercy Bolo
2018 Reading Goal: 144
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 81
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-bolo.html
Latest Review: Legend of Badger Claw by Harry Simpson

Post by Mercy Bolo » 14 Sep 2018, 03:31

Such a concise review. It's commendable that you integrated the author's writing style into the analysis. From the snippets you highlighted, I can only imagine how much I'll enjoy the book when I get myself a copy.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun » 14 Sep 2018, 07:58

I loved this review. This sounds like a wonderful read. Definitely going for it.

BookReader+6
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 220
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: If your life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreader-6.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by BookReader+6 » 14 Sep 2018, 09:17

A wonderful ditty,
the reviewer's quite witty,
I loved the review,
and by the time it was through,
I decided to read the book too!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)

Laurelly
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Laurelly » 14 Sep 2018, 10:59

Wow! What a concise review, interesting will sure get a copy of the book and read it fully

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading: A Woman's Prerogative
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Understanding the Power of Resilience Economy by Mohamed Buheji

Post by Cecilia_L » 14 Sep 2018, 13:30

What a fun review for what sounds like an enjoyable read! The drawings reminded me of The Far Side, too. Excellent review!

MsTri
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15362">The Prodigal Son</a>

Post by MsTri » 14 Sep 2018, 14:16

Debjani Ghosh wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 02:04
A "limericky" review for a book on limericks! I am already sold on your review to pick up this book. Thanks for the review!
Thanks so much for your kind comments; I work hard on making my reviews entertaining as well as informative.

MsTri

Post by MsTri » 14 Sep 2018, 14:36

Mercy Bolo wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 03:31
Such a concise review. It's commendable that you integrated the author's writing style into the analysis. From the snippets you highlighted, I can only imagine how much I'll enjoy the book when I get myself a copy.
Thanks so much for your kind words; I try so hard to make sure my reviews are entertaining, as well as informative.

MsTri

Post by MsTri » 14 Sep 2018, 14:37

420waystoreachthesun wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 07:58
I loved this review. This sounds like a wonderful read. Definitely going for it.
Thanks so much for your kind words; I try so hard to make sure my reviews are entertaining, as well as informative.

MsTri

Post by MsTri » 14 Sep 2018, 14:38

Laurelly wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 10:59
Wow! What a concise review, interesting will sure get a copy of the book and read it fully

MsTri

Post by MsTri » 14 Sep 2018, 14:39

Cecilia_L wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 13:30
What a fun review for what sounds like an enjoyable read! The drawings reminded me of The Far Side, too. Excellent review!

MsTri

Post by MsTri » 14 Sep 2018, 14:41

BookReader+6 wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 09:17
A wonderful ditty,
the reviewer's quite witty,
I loved the review,
and by the time it was through,
I decided to read the book too!
Ah ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Oh my gosh, I LOVE you so much! That really made my day, and now I'm crying tears of laughter!

Sakilunamermaid
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 23
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 302

Post by Sakilunamermaid » 14 Sep 2018, 15:09

This sounds so playful and whimsical. Its so unique a style and approach to writing short situational stories, using rhyme and verse. I will enjoy reading this. Love how you wrote this review. It put a smile on my face.

Kat Berg
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 23
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 224
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg » 17 Sep 2018, 12:31

I love how you started out this review! I read so many and it is rare that I am taken by surprise by something new. And your rhyme made me smile. (I'm a poet and I know it. I love to make verse and don't have to rehearse. haha!) I love when things are punny. I don't know that I could just sit down and read this book through, but it would make a perfect gift for my friends who love puns and silliness. This, however, would be such a difficult book to write a review on, but you did an outstanding job!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”