Official Review: Dido: The Tragedy of a Woman by David Lane

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Official Review: Dido: The Tragedy of a Woman by David Lane

Post by L_Therese »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dido: The Tragedy of a Woman" by David Lane.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In a fresh take on characters featured in Virgil’s Aeneaid, playwright David Lane presents a new play: Dido: The Tragedy of a Woman. After the destruction of Troy, Aeneas has led the survivors to safe haven of Carthage. While there, Aeneas and Carthage’s queen, Dido, fell in love and began a family. As the play opens, Aeneas is spurred by Mercury to leave his erstwhile home and his family and voyage away to found a new society for the former Trojans. This proves to be the metaphorical domino that is the catalyst for the events and twists of the play.

For readers considering this play, the first thing they must understand about it is that it is written in blank verse. Blank verse is a distinct poetic writing style that uses metered lines with no rhyming scheme. Blank verse is most commonly written in iambic pentameter, which is the structure used by David Lane in this play. For comparison, readers might think of Shakespearean plays, which are also written in iambic pentameter (but are rhymed, so Shakespearean plays are not considered blank verse).

While blank verse is a challenging literary form both to read and to write, one advantage is that it demands the creative use of language. Playwright David Lane excels at adopting language reminiscent of plays written by either Shakespeare or Sophocles. Words like “bugword”, which are not commonly used in modern English, lend vividness to a the play and help it enter a genre that seldom gains new entrants. As I read through the play, I took particular pleasure in noticing certain phrases that stood out as especially wonderful. My two favorites were when the writer had one character describe another as “Lord Earwig to the Queen” and when he made Aeneas instruct, “Bedpressers cast adrift”. These examples of Lane’s unique phrasing give evidence of the writer’s creativity and command of the language and meter.

As one might expect with plays of this type, it is not very lengthy. The word and page count are modest. However, because it is in blank verse, the average reader should plan to spend a longer time than normally allotted to read it. Not having any prior familiarity with this particular story, I found myself re-reading at times to be sure that I was understanding the progression of events and the development of the characters. Reading this play took concentration and was not something that I could do while multitasking.

I found only one editing oversight, when “hoised” was printed on page 18 instead of the obviously appropriate “hoisted”. With superb writing and seemingly careful editing, this play clearly merits 4 out of 4 stars. David Lane’s Dido: The Tragedy of a Woman is a masterful work that adds new content to a genre that seems mostly static. Those who remember high school or college literature classes with fondness might enjoy how much this play will resurrect those memories. Those who love the canon of ancient Greek literature will enjoy this new addition. Those who love poetry will enjoy the skilled use of blank verse. If you, like me, are one of these readers, this is definitely a play you should try.

Dido: The Tragedy of a Woman
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like L_Therese's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

The plot seems difficult to grasp, but maybe it's because I'm not into Greek literature and poetry. Your review is fascinating though!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I always find it difficult to read plays. Plays are meant to be watched. I had a great deal of trouble understanding Shakespeare until I actually watched his work. Therefore, I'll be skipping this one. However, I am glad that you enjoyed it. The subject is a fascinating one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Thanks for the informative review! I am unfamiliar with Greek literature and neither poetry nor poems are my forte. Hence, I will skip this one.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I think that it is great you explained the book uses blank verse and exactly what that is. It most likely will help some readers decide if they want to give this play a try or not. I don't think I personally would be able to get into the play and would have to choose to pass on reading it.
Mac :techie-reference:
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Thanks for explaining blank verse; I wasn't familiar with this type of writing before. I think that because of this I will probably skip reading this play, but may change my mind when I'm up for a challenging read because the plot sounds interesting.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”