Official Review: The 600 Million Dollar Latte by Neil Flett

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: The 600 Million Dollar Latte by Neil Flett

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The 600 Million Dollar Latte" by Neil Flett.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are lots of books about running a business out there, but I never came across one told via a fictional narrative about a creative, experienced businessman until I found The 600 Million Dollar Latte by Neil Flett. Part extended fictional case study, part based on real-life autobiography, part motivational book, and part business owner's guide, The 600 Million Dollar Latte centers on Clyde West, an experienced businessman. Clyde is retired now, but he's bored out of his mind without the frequent challenges that running multimillion-dollar companies presents. One day, he, his wife, and two of their friends go to Barbados to visit Colleton Great House. While there, they visit the Cassareep Café for tea and coffees, and Clyde is blown away by how good the coffee is.

Cassareep Café is a tiny little place that's so small one can easily walk by it without noticing it, and Clyde takes it upon himself to help market the place. Sam, the owner, has no money for a marketing budget, so Clyde has to get creative. He decides to present them with a certificate from the ISOCC (International Society of Coffee Connoisseurs) in front of the media in a "presentation ceremony". The certificate declares that Cassareep Café won the "Best Coffee award 2007-2009", and Clyde manages to see the difference he made in Sam's business for a bit before he returns home to Australia.

This easily could've been the end of it, but Clyde quickly gets other ideas and eventually the ISOCC is an international powerhouse charging $200 per certificate. Clyde repeatedly mentions that this is ethically challenging, since they don't even visit the businesses they give certificates to let alone taste their coffee, but he justifies it with how much he gives a business owner for that $200: a certificate for their wall, tips for promotion throughout the year, a press release to give to the media along with the certificate, and access to the society's website.

The ride is fast-paced and full of advice throughout, but the tricky bit is knowing just who the advice is for. At first the book seemed like it would focus on trying to promote Cassareep Café without a budget, but it's quickly left behind as Clyde's business takes off. From here there are several tips for small businesses, sure, but there are also tips for people starting a franchise, people who are looking to hire very high ranking positions and advice for those with multimillion-dollar companies. I can't see recommending the book if you're just looking for small business tips, but overall it was a joy to read. Clyde is well-versed in business ideas for a reason; Clyde's history is base on Neil's own real-life history. Early in the book Clyde lists numerous tactics he used in the past to promote businesses, and they're very unique and some could even be very beneficial for small business owners today. Some advice Clyde mentions throughout the book includes keeping overhead low, the importance of quality workers you can trust, and creating stories that newspeople will want to run rather than just creating advertising. These tips are scattered throughout, and some are repeated frequently such as "thinking about what would make a good photo" when it comes to creating potential news stories.

However, some of these ideas may not be the best or most well-accepted depending on the business owner. For example, one of the things included in the price of the certificate (but not something made public to the business owners) is a slew of reviews on sites like Trip Advisor. These make the business owners think that they're getting even more publicity from the certificate while also helping drum up more business in the future. However, the idea of creating a bunch of fake reviews is definitely an ethical conundrum: it's certainly not illegal but would be looked at as very underhanded if it was ever discovered. The same is true of the certificates; Clyde makes sure no one finds out just how many people actually have certificates because if they knew how many others were buying them, they wouldn't think they're as special for receiving one. I'm sure they'd also feel a bit bad if they knew that no one even sampled the coffee before giving them an award!

I enjoyed the book, and I really enjoyed the format. The writing was very smooth despite having a half-dozen minor errors, and the 100+ pages went by before I even realized it. I was intrigued by where Clyde would go next with the business and just how big it could become, as well as the constant worry about everyone finding out just what exactly it is Clyde does. The book is also very successful at being motivational - who doesn't love the thought of having their brilliant idea explode into a gigantic multimillion-dollar company? The "Author's Note" at the end also states that parts of the story are really true, Neil genuinely did "create and award a certificate to the Cassareep Café" and even created the website for the ISOCC and "issued a few free certificates to coffee lounges and bars." The enthusiasm and excitement of a company taking off like this saturates every page of the book, and more than anything that's what I liked about The 600 Million Dollar Latte. Based on that enjoyment I feel confident in giving the book 4 out of 4 stars. It's an easy recommendation for anyone looking for a fictional story of a business exploding due to creativity, hard work, and putting one's strengths to work. It's far from a small business manual, but it's a good book overall, and I liked that there were some humorous personal moments mixed into the narrative as well.

The 600 Million Dollar Latte
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

Love your review. The book sounds great too - I like "based on true events"style stories. I like the cover image too; it makes me want to read this with a cup of coffee!
Kirigo wachira
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kirigo wachira »

Sounds like a good book. Your review is awesome. I'll check it out sometime.
Aaliyah2
Favorite Book: Raising Boys
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaliyah2.html
Latest Review: The Life and Lessons of a Young Author by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Aaliyah2 »

This book sounds like a fun read. I’m curious to know about all his tactics, ethical awareness and practices, and his end results! Great review thank you!
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

The ethical shenanigans turn me off to this so I'm glad you brought this up. I don't believe lies, trickery, and cheating are required for a business to be successful, though I realize that's not a popular opinion. The book still seems to offer a useful starting point for one's own ideas as well as other seriously good advice.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Even though this is fiction, I find the shady business practices off-putting. Thank you for your candid review.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I was intrigued by the book cover. This book definitely comes across as something different. Kudos to the author on being honest about the shady practices that he indulged in which helped his business become successful. Thanks for the honest review!
Dehah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dehah »

I like your review. It made me "want" to read the book. And the title itself is catchy. I would like to thank your review in advance and i hope o wont get dissapointed !♥
juliecsa
Currently Reading: Gathering Blue
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliecsa.html
Latest Review: A Ghost in My Mirror by Olabisi Gwamna

Post by juliecsa »

Wow, fantastic review! And the book itself sounds fantastic! This is such a unique style of book, and the plot sounds so enticing -- I already want to know what will happen!
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Nice review. I think I'll pass on this book because of the ethical issues. Giving certificates without actually sampling the coffee houses sounds a little underhanded to me even if it is only a fictional program. It would have been more interesting if the certificates were obtained through actual reviews.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

I loved your review. Thank you for writing this. I will definitely give this book a shot.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This is a good fictional book with an attractive book cover and a unique style of writing. Thanks for this review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

And to think, I sometimes feel guilty about spending $4.35 on a mocha and Starbucks! This sounds like and interesting read. Nice review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”