Official Review: Abalone by J.G. MacLeod

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Official Review: Abalone by J.G. MacLeod

Post by Quinto »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Abalone" by J.G. MacLeod.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The current crop of students of Collier Secondary School, among them Melissa or Liz, suddenly find themselves confronting change occasioned by a renovation at their school. This is especially hard for them as they have been distributed among other secondary schools in the area, and by this happenstance, breaking up established friendship groups. Liz who is in her final year is, however, in for a pleasant surprise when she discovers that her best friend, Jan, will be in the same school as her. R.S. Jeffrey High is unlike her former school, though. Most notably, it has the worst academic record in all of Abalone Lake; and on her first day in school, she becomes a victim of an incident of school bullying. The boy who comes to her aid, James Macewan, would, later, become her boyfriend.

Like any coming-of-age story, Abalone by J.G. MacLeod follows Liz and her friends as they first become conscious of the attention from boys to the time they cross over to young adulthood. Liz starts off as a shy girl who fends for herself early due to her parents' estrangement. Her dad's bitterness in losing his wife to another man would cause him not to exercise good parental control over his only child and daughter. This fact would later play a predominant influence over Liz's formative years and provide valuable advice to parents on how not to bring up their teenage children. James upbringing, on the other hand, mirrors closely that of Liz. When Liz's friend, Jan, gets wind of a plan where Liz will tutor James, her response is not only terse but summarizes the character of James neatly: "That guy is bad news. Everyone says so. He's got to be, like, twenty-one and still in high school!"

This budding and impermissible love affair between Liz and James creates tension in the story and makes the reader eager to know at every point in the narrative what will happen next, or what kind of impishness the youthful characters will be engaged in next. A memorable moment for me was when Jan organized for her friends (Liz and their dates, Reese and Coltyn), the first night out at the club, even though they couldn't yet pass for mature adults. A defining moment for Liz would be when her drink got spiked. The author's tone is impassioned, as she explores the feelings of two uninhibited youth from broken homes who have nothing but each other to lean on. James' mother, for example, suffers from Intermittent Explosive Disorder and often assaults both James and his younger brother, Peter, who suffers from Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS). James in such moments seems to find respite in the loving arms of Liz. Unfortunately for Liz, however, she suffers the brunt of James' frequent and compulsive fits of violent behavior.

The author's writing style and first-person point of view allow her to immediately connect with her potential young readers. For instance, when describing her action scenes, she uses short sentences, full of verbs that give the scene energy. An example would be a line from the scene where Liz and an admirer, Martyn, had to perform karaoke together: "He joined me with the chorus and we were both laughing as we sang. When we finished, he pretended to play the air guitar during the next musical interlude and I laughed giddily; I could feel the effects of the alcohol buoying me up." In addition, she employs text messages in her dialogue, which is quite in line with today's texting generation.

The novel has explored the themes of violence in relationships quite well. Additionally, the author resolves quite nicely the tension that has been building up in her story as the relationship between James and Liz unfolds. I felt the ending was warm, realistic and not rushed. Other themes explored by the author include rape, bullying, suicide, violence against children and alcoholism. To the author's credit, the novel seems to be professionally edited. I only came across one typo error and a number of instances of omitted commas that were not distracting to my enjoyment of the book. For this reason, I rate the novel 4 out of 4 stars. I proceed to recommend the novel to secondary school students, young adults and parents. A word of caution, though, is that the novel has explicit sexual scenes and draws attention to incidents of violence to children and women, so the novel will only be appropriate to a mature audience.

Abalone
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Quinto's review? Post a comment saying so!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Friendships, relationships, violence, parental neglect - that's a lot of themes that the author has dealt with in this book. Judging by your review, the author has done a commendable job in striking a balance between them. Thanks for the review!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

The novel seems to contain very explicit themes (violence, rape, suicide, etc). And even though Liz's relationship with James sounds enjoyable to read, I dislike his violent behaviour. Liz seems like a strong girl who fends for herself in an early age. I would like to read the book to learn more. Informative and enjoyable review!
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 01:24 Friendships, relationships, violence, parental neglect - that's a lot of themes that the author has dealt with in this book. Judging by your review, the author has done a commendable job in striking a balance between them. Thanks for the review!
Thanks, Debjani Ghosh for your kind comments. The author has handled the themes well and explored effectively a very sensitive subject among young people.
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 01:29 The novel seems to contain very explicit themes (violence, rape, suicide, etc). And even though Liz's relationship with James sounds enjoyable to read, I dislike his violent behaviour. Liz seems like a strong girl who fends for herself in an early age. I would like to read the book to learn more. Informative and enjoyable review!
Thanks, Rosemary for your kind comments. Yes, the author has handled a difficult subject well. Also, I found it surprising the strength and fortitude exhibited by Liz.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think we need more stories with important themes such as this. Especially when it comes to young adults. They are so vulnerable, and this would make a great conversation starter for a teenager. Thanks so much for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

kandscreeley wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 08:13 I think we need more stories with important themes such as this. Especially when it comes to young adults. They are so vulnerable, and this would make a great conversation starter for a teenager. Thanks so much for the review.
Thanks, kandscreeley for your kind comments which I couldn't agree more with. More of such novels are definitely needed for our young readers because of the moral lessons they contain. Thanks again.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds really intense and would be perfect for the library at the at-risk high school where I teach.
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

teacherjh wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 10:01 This sounds really intense and would be perfect for the library at the at-risk high school where I teach.
Hallo teacherjh, I'm glad you can already see an application for the book. Young people need to read this, that's true. Thanks for your kind comments.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

I really love the conflicts that the author has seemed to deal with. I would love to read this one.
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

420waystoreachthesun wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 08:05 I really love the conflicts that the author has seemed to deal with. I would love to read this one.
Great book to immerse oneself in, never a dull moment. Thanks for your kind comments.
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

Sounds like an interesting story that resonates with problems faced by today's young people. Your review makes me want to read it. Wonderful review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author did a good job of presenting the characters. I like how you included the fact that text messaging is used in the book. The short sentences also sound appealing. Great review. Thanks.
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

kdstrack wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 11:23 The author did a good job of presenting the characters. I like how you included the fact that text messaging is used in the book. The short sentences also sound appealing. Great review. Thanks.
Thanks, kdstrack for your kind comments. Yes, the characterization is superbly done and her writing style also appeals to her younger audience.
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

Uinto wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 11:23 Sounds like an interesting story that resonates with problems faced by today's young people. Your review makes me want to read it. Wonderful review.
Thanks, Uinto for your kind words.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”