Official Review: Ready to Run by Alexis Zacheries

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Ready to Run by Alexis Zacheries

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ready to Run" by Alexis Zacheries.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Regina Voss has been trying to escape the demands of her overbearing mother her entire life. After her longtime boyfriend, Toby, betrays her, she becomes involved with handsome Luke Riley, despite knowing her mother will disapprove of their relationship. Ready to Run is the first book in the Unchained Life Series by author, Alexis Zacheries.

Regina is desperate to get away from her disapproving mother, but she still has five more years before she will receive her trust fund. She longs for Toby to propose to her, but he hasn't been faithful, and deep down, Regina knows she can't really trust him. When she suspects Toby of drugging her at a party, she flees and attempting to escape, hops into a stranger's truck. Regina discovers that this isn't the first time she and Luke have met. They share a weekend of passion that soon develops into something more. Despite the fact that she's falling for Luke, Regina hides their relationship from her wealthy parents. Is she willing to give up her privileged life for true love?

I really tried to come up with something I liked about this book, but I honestly couldn't. The characters were shallow and one-dimensional. From Regina, the entitled little rich girl and Heather, her mean-girl best friend to Toby, her narcissistic boyfriend, and Luke, her new love interest who followed her around like a puppy dog--they've all been done before.

I had hoped the character development would strengthen over the course of the plot. Unfortunately, there really wasn't much of a plot either. Instead, there were seven chapters of erotica before anything resembling a plot surfaced, followed by even more erotica-filled chapters. I was interested in reading a suspense book, as described. There was a single suspenseful scene in the first chapter, but I wouldn't categorize the book as a suspense as it appeared on Amazon. Nor would I have intentionally selected erotica. While I haven't previously read erotica, I'm fairly certain it shouldn't read as if written by a hormonal adolescent. Unfortunately, the abrupt ending did nothing to redeem the story. As this book was the first in a series, I imagine the purpose was to hook readers with unanswered questions.

As might be surmised from the rest of my review, I struggled with the rating for this book. While it's true that the book synopsis isn't always accurate, this was the first time I've experienced the genre being so inaccurate. Since I know the author selects the book genre on Amazon, I felt as if I was tricked into reading erotica. Even so, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. It appears to have been professionally edited, as I noted only several errors in a book that was over 500 pages. Readers who appreciate erotica and explicit language may enjoy this book. I wouldn't recommend it otherwise.

Ready to Run
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
lazybekah
Currently Reading: The Devil's Astronaut
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lazybekah.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M

Post by lazybekah »

Great review! Thank you for the honesty. I would have been turned off by unexpected erotica as well, and it's a shame about the predictable characters. I'd probably give this one a pass.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

"I'm fairly certain it shouldn't read as if written by a hormonal adolescent."
OMG, I am so sorry you had to read that. That is quite awful. Teens are clueless enough as it is, but to throw their immature view of sex into a book, no thanks. I hate misleading book blurbs. I felt quite misguided by my last one as well, although just in regards to the plot, not a completely different genre.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kfwilson6 wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 14:26 "I'm fairly certain it shouldn't read as if written by a hormonal adolescent."
OMG, I am so sorry you had to read that. That is quite awful. Teens are clueless enough as it is, but to throw their immature view of sex into a book, no thanks. I hate misleading book blurbs. I felt quite misguided by my last one as well, although just in regards to the plot, not a completely different genre.
Thank you. Yes, I was quite taken aback. Perhaps the author thought it was an accurate representation of the twenty-year-old characters, but the explicit vocabulary was very crude and immature. I appreciate your comment.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

Over 500 pages seems a bit much for this plot. Thank you for your honest review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

daydreaming reader wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 18:59 Over 500 pages seems a bit much for this plot. Thank you for your honest review.
I agree. Thanks for your comment.
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

I would be upset to pick up this book, read the synopsis and find it to be completely different to what I was expecting. I don't mind erotic scenes but only if it furthers the plot or is important for the characters' relationship development. Otherwise, I find it is often thrown in for no reason and I find myself incredibly bored and want to skip through to when it's over. I hope the description is changed on Amazon so consumers know what to expect. I think I will pass on this book, thank you for your review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I really dislike when the author "tricks" you into reading something. I have had that happen to me a couple of times. They make it sound like something completely different and put it in a totally bogus genre. I am unsure why they do that. Wouldn't they want the right audience for their book? It seems it would get a higher rating that way? Anyway, I'll be skipping this one. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

lazybekah wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 13:38 Great review! Thank you for the honesty. I would have been turned off by unexpected erotica as well, and it's a shame about the predictable characters. I'd probably give this one a pass.
Thank you for your comment, Bekah.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Emi_Review wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 04:42 I would be upset to pick up this book, read the synopsis and find it to be completely different to what I was expecting. I don't mind erotic scenes but only if it furthers the plot or is important for the characters' relationship development. Otherwise, I find it is often thrown in for no reason and I find myself incredibly bored and want to skip through to when it's over. I hope the description is changed on Amazon so consumers know what to expect. I think I will pass on this book, thank you for your review.
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. Thank you for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 08:46 I really dislike when the author "tricks" you into reading something. I have had that happen to me a couple of times. They make it sound like something completely different and put it in a totally bogus genre. I am unsure why they do that. Wouldn't they want the right audience for their book? It seems it would get a higher rating that way? Anyway, I'll be skipping this one. Thanks.
Yes, I agree. I hope the genre is changed because as you mentioned, readers who like erotica may enjoy it whereas those looking for suspense are sure to be disappointed as I was. Thanks for your comment.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

It's enough disappointment to have one- dimensional characters and a lacking plot. I wouldn't want to be tricked into an unsought erotica, as well. Thanks for the warning, Cecilia. I appreciate your honest and thorough review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 00:32 It's enough disappointment to have one- dimensional characters and a lacking plot. I wouldn't want to be tricked into an unsought erotica, as well. Thanks for the warning, Cecilia. I appreciate your honest and thorough review.
Thank you, Ruba.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

Thank you for this beautiful review. Might pass on this one.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

420waystoreachthesun wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 20:59 Thank you for this beautiful review. Might pass on this one.
Thank you for your comment. I understand.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”