Official Review: St. Anthony's Fire by Garry Harper

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
Cotwani
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 9
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Re: Official Review: St. Anthony's Fire by Garry Harper

Post by Cotwani » 02 Oct 2018, 15:17

There was a moment when it all became too real, that sobering moment when the book was no longer a book but a mirror of the world I live in.
Indeed satire is a good antidote for turbulent times. There seems to have been a lot going on, and many characters as well. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

ButterscotchCherrie
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 55
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Mindfulness and Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Finding Paris A Menior of Hope by Paris Broker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 03 Oct 2018, 04:58

I'm currently reading a book which details how a minority of sociopaths and psychopaths are leading a passive majority. That's inspiring because it is encouraging readers to take control more. This fictionalized account does sound like a bit more of a downer, but it's always good to see a mirror of the world in fiction anyway. I know the word "solipsistic" from Shakespeare but not the others. I always enjoy encountering new words. Thanks for an excellent review.

evan1995muniz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evan1995muniz.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by evan1995muniz » 31 Oct 2018, 08:25

you wrote a really nice review, however i am not interested in this type of book. I don't feel as if it would personally hold my own attention. Im glad others enjoyed it, every author deserves credit for their work.

Bavithra M
2018 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Bavithra M » 01 Nov 2018, 04:09

Such a awesome book. I too loved this book a lot.
Bavithra M

Kalin Adi
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 93
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 680
Currently Reading: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: Animals teach us life by Nabi Gueye

Post by Kalin Adi » 12 Nov 2018, 11:36

that sobering moment when the book was no longer a book but a mirror of the world I live in.
After reading this description, I'm curious enough to read this book. A book that makes you laugh, because of the absurdity at the beginning, but later it makes you have a glimpse of our society, is not seen every day.

Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Blues for the Father by Marcel Wilson, Joseph Harrison and Barry Kohl
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader » 13 Nov 2018, 21:18

This is a compelling review. I do occasionally like to read some that is "so ridiculous, so inanely impossible," and yet, hints of truth.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”