Official Review: St. Anthony's Fire by Garry Harper

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Official Review: St. Anthony's Fire by Garry Harper

Post by inaramid »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "St. Anthony's Fire" by Garry Harper.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sitting down to read St. Anthony’s Fire by Garry Harper is like falling into a crazy, drug-induced dream. We find ourselves in The City, following the mishaps of an unlucky trio of friends who each must contend with the not-so-usual hassles of city life. Reliable and pensive Rabelais is grappling with an existential question. Irritable, brash Orrin is trying to rectify a clerical error. Only the shrewd, ironic John is living the American dream: “doing as little work as possible with no repercussions.”

Then things took a turn for the absurd. Rabelais’s quest for The Answer unwittingly sparked the genesis of a new religion, Rabelaism, along with a rabid band of followers who called themselves the Rabelites. Orin, who had to drop one ‘R’ from his name in a silly case of mistaken identity, was forced to run for mayor, swept up by a tide of blind, overzealous supporters. And John? Well, let’s just say his life went up in flames.

In St. Anthony’s Fire, Harper turns a satirical eye on religion, politics, the business world, corporate life, sociology, psychology, and the very pulse of the society that we live in. The City could be anywhere, and its flock of sometimes naïve, often mindless denizens could just as well be us. Harper deftly steers his protagonists into a series of strange, hilarious calamities, all the while juggling their interactions with a compelling cast of supporting characters. We meet a doe-eyed bachelorette dreaming of true love, a poor rich girl forced by her parents to attend — gasp! — art school, a press relations officer who single-handedly redefined the concept of ‘employee commitment,’ ardent activists and cultists, and lots and lots of the idiotic voting public.

Harper sets in motion a chain of events so ridiculous, so inanely impossible, that it was difficult to keep a straight face when confronted with the situations themselves, with the characters’ reactions, and with the personal and societal fallouts. At one point, it seemed to me like the characters lacked agency and that the entire point of the book was to demonstrate just how much the individual is a slave to the whims of the many. Events didn’t strictly follow chronology, and there were several disparate plot elements that didn’t seem to lead anywhere. Towards the middle, my greatest worry was that I’d emerge out of the madness of it all with no clear conclusion or resolution and no substantial takeaway other than several moments of gut-busting laughter. It wasn’t necessarily a bad thing. At the very least, I could walk away from the book entertained.

However, the book description did warn, “If reading it leaves you feeling frustrated and miserable, with a worse outlook on life and the world around you, then it has done its job.” And indeed, I stopped laughing. There was a moment when it all became too real, that sobering moment when the book was no longer a book but a mirror of the world I live in. Yes, this is a darkly comedic work of fiction that seems to lampoon the entire notion of society, of humanity, but it does so within the confines of a compelling story. It’s not an easy read, and Harper (perhaps deliberately) made it even more challenging to absorb. Harper’s prose is articulate but far from simple. I don’t know about you, but I haven’t met the words pococurantism, hebetudinous, farouche, prosopons, and solipsistic until my immersion in St. Anthony’s Fire. I couldn’t decide if the text was pretentious or if Harper was being ironic with his choice of words. Regardless, the constant need to check the dictionary is the only deterrent I could see for readers not to enjoy this work.

I rate St. Anthony’s Fire a well-deserved 4 out of 4 stars. The book is professionally edited and presented, something that would make a great gift for the budding philosopher or any keen-eyed academic. It might not lend itself so well to the casual reader, but give it time, like I did, and it might just grow on you, too. Hilariously absurd and yet absurdly true, St. Anthony’s Fire is a timely book for these turbulent times.

St. Anthony's Fire
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like inaramid's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

Other than wishing the darkness hit first and THEN the laughter, it sounds like something I want to read. "Lampoon the entire notion of society, of humanity..." is what my sons and I do at times to deal with the absurdity of life, fits right in. I don't particularly enjoy the thought of a confusing book, but it's not as if my brain couldn't use a workout now and again.
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

Amanda Deck wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 19:43 Other than wishing the darkness hit first and THEN the laughter, it sounds like something I want to read. "Lampoon the entire notion of society, of humanity..." is what my sons and I do at times to deal with the absurdity of life, fits right in. I don't particularly enjoy the thought of a confusing book, but it's not as if my brain couldn't use a workout now and again.
:D The laughter is never in short supply -- and always at moments when it's needed. This isn't my first foray into satirical fiction, and the problem I often find with others is that there's only the barest semblance of a plot. Fortunately, this isn't the case with this book, but true, it will give your brain a workout. Thanks for dropping by!
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Wow, you wrote a really great review. The story seems interesting, but it sounds like for me it would be a chore to get through a book like that.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! Great review. I don't normally go for satire for the very reasons that you mention. It starts off as funny, but in the end, it's all too real. It hits home in a dark way. Thanks for the review. It sounds very well done, but I'm going to skip it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

This satire that shines light on the sobering reality that we are all drones to the system and slaves to reality is pretty cool. I look forward to seeing this authors prose and writing style. I appreciate social commentary and the absurdity of the characters situations sounds quite compelling. Hopefully this doesn't make me overly pessimistic when it comes to politics and organized religion.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Wow, judging by your review, seems like this book, just like its cover, is on fire! A satirical comedy with an engaging plot is surely a plus point however, this book can be quite a challenge to absorb. Thanks for the great review!
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

Thanks for dropping by, guys!
AliceofX wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 03:27 Wow, you wrote a really great review. The story seems interesting, but it sounds like for me it would be a chore to get through a book like that.
It does take time. It makes you think, but it's also fun.

kandscreeley wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 08:23 It hits home in a dark way.
Exactly! It could be very disconcerting, but at least the book was very upfront about it.

Sakilunamermaid wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 11:19 Hopefully this doesn't make me overly pessimistic when it comes to politics and organized religion.
There are a lot of things that ring true, in a funny, ridiculous way. It will make you laugh. And reflect, too.

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 23:16 Wow, judging by your review, seems like this book, just like its cover, is on fire! A satirical comedy with an engaging plot is surely a plus point however, this book can be quite a challenge to absorb. Thanks for the great review!
The cover's really good, right? Right? Flames and fire are a unifying element throughout. Thank you for dropping by!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This certainly seems like a great example of satire. I'm definitely interested in this type of book, so I'll try to get a copy of it. Thanks for the stunning review!
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

gen_g wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 00:42 This certainly seems like a great example of satire. I'm definitely interested in this type of book, so I'll try to get a copy of it. Thanks for the stunning review!
Yep! Can't wait to hear what you think about it. Thanks for dropping by!
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Not sure if I'm scared of or excited for this book. I've read my share of "deep" books but not sure if I've read one that is really just spoofing everything. Sounds like you have to have the right mindset to dig into this one so I'll keep it on my list for the right time. Thanks for the very thorough review!
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

jcoad wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 21:46 Not sure if I'm scared of or excited for this book. I've read my share of "deep" books but not sure if I've read one that is really just spoofing everything. Sounds like you have to have the right mindset to dig into this one so I'll keep it on my list for the right time. Thanks for the very thorough review!
It did take me a bit longer to finish this, but I couldn't remember a moment when I wasn't laughing or reflecting on things. Thanks for dropping by!
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for your review! I like that it has a lot of funny moments but I'm worried that the book will actually succeed in leaving me with a negative outlook on life :shock2:
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

inaramid wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 05:53 There was a moment when it all became too real, that sobering moment when the book was no longer a book but a mirror of the world I live in. Yes, this is a darkly comedic work of fiction that seems to lampoon the entire notion of society, of humanity, but it does so within the confines of a compelling story.
I love this personal reflection from your review. The book sounds like a wild ride. I do like satire but find sometimes the tone can be hard to convey in writing. It sounds like this author did a nice job, though. Maybe some absurd and ridiculous would be good just about now. Thank you for another beautiful review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

Eva Darrington wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 22:38 The book sounds like a wild ride. I do like satire but find sometimes the tone can be hard to convey in writing. It sounds like this author did a nice job, though. Maybe some absurd and ridiculous would be good just about now. Thank you for another beautiful review.
I found the writing a bit too complex at times, but it was, all in all, a fun read. Thank you for dropping by.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”