Official Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Re: Official Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

I sampled the book on Amazon. A fairy-tale kind of story with queens and kingdoms written in an interesting manner. As mentioned in the review by Ritah, this book mainly caters to the readers interested in adult fairy story with politics and political system worthy of discussion. Cheers!
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Wow! I really like reading books with powerful and strong women characters. Although not too keen on politics, I believe I would find this book interesting. Thanks for the review, Ritah!
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

The review tells that the book would make for an interesting read. Sad about Queen Julia, but I guess she had to make way for Princess Agatha to be queen. The book sounds really put together, so I am sure that those that favor its genre would find it top notch. Congrats to the author for winning BOTD.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Queen Agatha's story seems to enter into an intertextual dialog with many stories from Cinderella to medieval tales and historical fiction. In the first chapter, her interest and help for the commoners reminded me of Mark Twain's The Prince and the Pauper. However, I didn't like the moralizing, preachy tone of of the saddler's story. Thanks for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I love a good fantasy story with a strong female lead, and the mimicking of the oral storytelling tradition always fascinates me. I'm a little hesitant about any of the more out-there parts in regards to battle and the children on her council, but it fits the subgenre then I can enjoy it as good fun. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher, is a fantasy political tale set in a fictional kingdom with queens, princesses and witches. It is for mature readers, with strong feminist vibes. I hope it's fun, charming and clever in the use of magic to come up with an engaging plot twist that will illuminate its message. Good luck to the author!
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Was looking forward something like Princess Diaries, but then turns out the book is a fantasy one with an evil sorceress. To be honest, I was bummed out that it is a fantasy one. However, I like how it portrays women in power. Thanks for this honest and detailed review! :)
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
ken chris iv
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ken chris iv »

Here we look at queen Julia who is governing as a typical medieval monarch and has her daughter known as princess Agatha who is her heiress and a champion of the impoverished commoners. The evil sorcerer comes to xana and kills queen Julia as princess Agatha is being protected by her fairly godmother. Princess Agatha succeeds the throne and becomes the queen of xana and strives hard to achieve her goal of prosperity for all. Its really giving courage to all the women and standing up to a goal that we all can GREAT THANKS GOES TO THE AUTHOR :D :D
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Magic, kings and queens sounds like a nice fictional story. The death of queen Julia and the reign of queen Agatha seems like an interesting story. Congrats on BOTD.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Beccabear227
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Beccabear227 »

Based on your review of this seemingly complex fantasy I would gladly sit down to give this book a chance. It seems both intriguing and confusing. Can't wait to see which one it will be!
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Popcorn1 »

At first I thought that it would be like those common fairy tale stories where the princess has to find their prince charming in order to save the kingdom. However, after further reading of your review this book is more than meets the eye.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

I think the idea of the Traveler is cool, despite the fact that his attempt to be objective fails at time. I think Agatha is pretty cool but I'll have to pass on this book. I'd rather avoid graphic content. Thanks for the review :)
gowsiya shaik
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gowsiya shaik »

Glad to dwell into the beautiful lives of ancient days in our fast and furious era of living. Story makes our senses pleasant and happy to know the beauty of giving and care which has been shown through the role of Queen Agatha. Well written which makes the readers to imagine the situations. Good luck to the authors.
ChydeanmahE95
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chydeanmahe95.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by ChydeanmahE95 »

I could decipher a great deal from the review of the book. Though I'm not so much into fantasy, I love books where there are heroine characters and Queen Agatha seems like a worthy heroine, saving her native land of Xana from destruction and perjury.

Great storyline as well.
Akinsemoyin Adeola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinsemoyin-adeola.html
Latest Review: A Secret Life by Mina Bancheva

Post by Akinsemoyin Adeola »

Agatha is such a darling and I'm sure she would make such a fine queen, but the world doesn't always work the way we want, there will always be challenges, ups and downs on our way to achieving what we want, guess that is where the wisdom given to her by her fairy godmother, comes in.

I like the way we were shown that Agatha wasn't perfect, there were times she wanted to blow up in anger, we were also shown how maturity and wisdom came to play as she grew older, which helped her to put her temper in check, when confronted with a stumbling block.

Nice work Fred Pilcher, I recommend this book, it's a good read.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”