Official Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Queen of Xana" by Fred Pilcher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher is a work of fiction that transports readers to the mystical land of Xana during the reign of Queen Julia followed by that of Queen Agatha. The narrative presents the stark differences between the rule of the two monarchs and its effect on the common people.

To celebrate Princess Agatha’s twentieth birthday, Queen Julia throws her daughter a lavish party inviting all who is prominent, including the kings and queens of other lands, to witness the event in which she would officially declare Agatha heiress to the throne. However, before the formal announcement could be made, an evil sorcerer wades through the soiree unnoticed up until he strikes the queen dead, sending the whole room into a state of panic and chaos. The evil sorcerer proceeds to cripple the kingdom with his spells as he robs it of its wealth and serenity. Under the protection of her fairy godmother, Agatha is informed that the journey to saving her people from the monstrous evil will begin when she’s able to find her prince from the vast population. These set of events usher in Queen Agatha’s reign, who is determined to restore Xana’s wealth and foster equality by empowering her people.

Pilcher did a great job describing what life was like for the commoners and how Agatha’s kindness and efforts to alleviate their plight won her the people’s approval and unrelenting support whilst isolating her from the former ruling aristocrats and those who weren’t overly keen on her ideas and autocratic rule. I loved how throughout the story (especially the beginning), I got to see the experiences that shaped Agatha’s ideals. Although I found myself in agreeance with most of her decisions and admired her wisdom and ability to read people and situations, I still found that some of her political moves and decisions were a bit hard to digest.

Agatha’s story is presented as one that has survived over many centuries through word of mouth. The author’s writing style reflects this when stating the ‘facts’ and key differences in the main versions of the same story, which allows readers to make their own interpretations and choices as to which version rings most true. Additionally, where the narrative becomes vague or may appear strange to readers of this century, the commentator (who asks to be called the Traveler) offers an explanation and, at times, opinions based on his own deductions. On my first encounter with the Traveler, I thought I’d find the commentary embedded in the narrative intrusive. However, I grew accustomed to this aspect of the book and appreciated the value it added to Agatha’s tale. Although the Traveler attempted to be objective in relaying information, his fondness for Agatha became apparent when, at times, he explains away some of her more disagreeable and questionable decisions.

Most of the characters have traits that give them some verisimilitude; however, as is common in oral literature to have heroes/heroines with embellished character traits and accomplishments, such is also true for the main characters of this novel. Queen Agatha achieves a great deal in the way of agriculture, education, and in treating those injured in battle, even though the methods she implements for the latter border as absurd. If it really were that ridiculously simple, no soldier in history would have ever succumbed to their injuries. Then, there are the children who become members of the queen’s advisory board. These children have an unbelievable amount of confidence, grace, intellect, and insight for their age. These aspects of the story remind me that although the author presents a narrative that will spark conversation in way of the characters’ political and social philosophy, not every element needs to be taken seriously given its subgenres.

All in all, I enjoyed the fantasy elements of the narrative, and the stranger aspects of Xana’s society fascinated me. I also liked that the story featured strong women in positions of power. I should mention that this novel contains adult themes suitable for a mature audience. Thus, I’d recommend this book to those interested in politics and political systems worthy of discussion presented in an adult fairy story. Less than a handful of errors made their way into the text. Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

The Queen of Xana
View: on Bookshelves

Like ritah's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Powerful women within the context of a fascinating environment is a must-read! I enjoyed your thorough and enlightening review. Thank you. :tiphat:
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Despite some unbelievable content present in the story, you gave it a 4 out of 4. This shows how much you enjoyed the story. Thanks for the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm much more interested in sci fi than fantasy. Plus the typically exaggerated character traits make me leery of this one. I enjoyed your fascinating review, but I'm going to pass on this one for now.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

A very extensive review. A book about politics and political system of women holding high power, sound quite interesting. Good review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

The book talks of things we do not see more often like women holding high political power. I like the fantasy in this novel. Nice review.
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

This sounds like an interesting plot. I love fantasy and fairytales and to have the story feature strong women in positions of power is great. Thank you for the great review ^_^ (by the way, your profile picture is stunning! Wish I could take photos like that)
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I considered picking this book for review, but the description mentioned it had a lot of explicit content; that put me off. It seems I overreacted. I think this story is a comedy that does not need to be taken seriously (Shakespeare wrote some absurd comedies, too). That you gave it the perfect grade speaks well of the author's effort.

Thanks for the wonderful review, Ritah! Long live the Queen of Xana!
Jessa Rea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessa-rea.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jessa Rea »

The story plot seems to be okay but I need to read the whole story to check the flow if it is different from the other stories that I've read before.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

Sounds like an interesting read despite its combination of fantasy element with politics. In most fantasy and fairy tales the princess is waiting for her prince to come and save her. So, a strong female protagonist in a position of power is quite refreshing. Because of this, I'm hoping to read it. Thanks for the great review.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A story taking place in the mystical land of Xana during the reign of two queens sounds interesting. A pity the characters had similar traits. It is good that the book was well edited overall. I like strong female protagonists, but I am not fond of explicit content and political themes. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

An evil sorcerer casts a spell that kills queen Julia and paves the way for princess Agatha to assume the throne. The author weaves a tale of resilience as the princess faces many obstacles, but her resolve to do right by her subjects reigns supreme.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

What an interesting swath of topics: politics, political system, adult fantasy, battlefield medical aid, and royal succession. All this is bounded in refreshing theme of strong female leads.
Emy Katherine
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emy-katherine.html
Latest Review: 9 Days of Piper Snow by Daniella Blechner
Reading Device: B07953N411

Post by Emy Katherine »

Thus, I’d recommend this book to those interested in politics and political systems worthy of discussion presented in an adult fairy story
A story that features strong women in positions of power sounds intriguing for fans of the genre! Not sure this book is for me; however, I got my copy and I'll give it a try! Glad the book is well edited! Thank you fo the review!
Amina Yusuf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amina-yusuf.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt
Reading Device: B07PQLY49F

Post by Amina Yusuf »

Even from the review, one can tell that this book will be an interesting read. Queen Agatha is every person's princess taking so much on her young shoulders to overcome the catastrophe that befell her people. Good overwhelms evil in the final analysis.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”