Official Review: In Euphoria by Donna D. Vitucci

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Official Review: In Euphoria by Donna D. Vitucci

Post by AliceofX »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "In Euphoria" by Donna D. Vitucci.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Euphoria is a novel written by Donna D. Vitucci. The book takes place in a Midwest town called Euphoria. It starts with a power outage that brings two people together. Pauline goes to a Goodwill store to kill time while the power comes back in her house. Jared is doing his community service by working there. The two start a relationship even though Pauline is married to Tom. As their affair progresses, Pauline remains unable to decide between the two men in her life. Jared grows tired of her indecisiveness. He decides to leave town to force Pauline to make up her mind, but by doing that he also violates his probation.

Jared is, in my opinion, the main character of the book since his perspective is given the most time. During Jared’s childhood, his older brother Sten was his teacher and role model. Sten is still a constant voice in Jared’s head commentating all his actions. Pauline’s story is about the men in her life. Tom was her childhood friend with whom she reconnected later in life. He was reliable and, “He’d been the one who taught Pauline the good of Goodwill.” Pauline and Jared are both vulnerable when they meet each other. They both struggle to let go of the past.

This is a book that’s more focused on its characters rather than the plot. It explores who they are as people and delves into their past. They think back about their lives and the friends and family members that made them who they are. The best way to describe In Euphoria would be as literary fiction. If you’re a fan of that type of writing then this is a book for you.

The best thing I can say about In Euphoria is that it’s a well-written book. The language was highly poetic. It’s a book you have to read slowly and pay attention to every sentence. The themes are subtle and carefully crafted. There are small scenes that you later realize were metaphors for the entire story.

Unfortunately, there were a few errors present throughout the book. They mostly consisted of wrong or missing words that made the entire sentence seem weird. Also, the font size of the PDF file was too small to comfortably read on my six-inch ebook reader. I wouldn’t call this book badly edited, but it was not an ideal reading experience. Due to its content, this is not a book that’s suitable for everybody. There’s strong language as well as scenes depicting physical and sexual violence.

Ultimately, it just wasn’t a book for me. I’ve always liked stories with a strong plot, but In Euphoria just didn’t have that. At times I felt bored and lost as to what was going on. That and the few editing errors makes me give this book 3 out of 4 stars.

In Euphoria
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like AliceofX's review? Post a comment saying so!
parryinecstasy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by parryinecstasy »

sounds like a good book to me though. its never easy to let go of the past, but with the right persons surrounding you everything is possible. I don't think it was the authors wish to focus on the characters than the plot but I still think I would read this book.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

A book involving a love triangle is something that has been done countless times. I think it's important that it have something to set it apart from the rest. It doesn't seem like this one did a stellar job of that.
I enjoyed your review, thanks!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

I wanted to read this book review because I judged the book by the cover and wanted to know more. Almost immediately, I found it wasn't a book for me. I don't generally like the location of the action.

I love to hear about characters and their lives especially in lengthy novels as I feel like they become my friends for a short while, the dilemma they have doesn't entice me to want to shop in their town.

Thank you for a positive and honest review.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I'm not a fan of the "I'm not sure I want to be with my husband so let me go test the waters with someone else" plot. I don't like reading about affairs and Pauline's wishy-washy attitude about the two men in her life is very unappealing. Given that this is so character driven, I would want characters I could actually like. Nice review, not my kind of book.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

The poetic language sounds nice, but I would honestly be too annoyed with the characters to actually enjoy that. Thank you for your review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

It's great that the book seems to be character-driven, but the plot is equally important. That said, it seems like this isn't a book for me. Thank you for the information!
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

This book sounds like it had some promise until I got to the parts about the formatting and awkward wording. What a shame.
Shalomsamuels1
Favorite Book: Worm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalomsamuels1.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by Shalomsamuels1 »

I liked how you focused on the writing style. That is a big thing for me. It could save or kill a book.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”