Official Review: Red - Bastard Child by David Valley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Re: Official Review: Red - Bastard Child by David Valley

Post by Helen_Combe »

Shame, it looks like a book with great potential but instead is superficial. I like books with underlying messages. Great review.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

Dael Reader wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 15:39
Georgia Lyonhyde wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 11:44 Thanks for the great review. It reads like you have put a lot of thought into how best to sell the book without putting people off by some of the major flaws it has.

In all honesty, I'm not a fan of the Great Depression era. Steinbeck was the nail in the coffin. I think personally, I am not interested enough to read this book myself, but it's the kind of book I would happily listen to a friend harp on about if they were reading it over time. You have sold Red and I am invested in him, but the lack of depth with the other characters would frustrate me.
Dael Reader wrote:Thanks for your comment. This was a hard one to rate because I thought Red was such a likable kind of guy, but it was very frustrating to be left in the dark about the deep thoughts for all the characters. And one of the problems I had with the book was that it didn't make any particular comments or allusions to the socioeconomic or political climate of the Depression, other then letting us know that's when the book takes place. I think it would have been better to have something added along those lines. "Steinbeck was the nail in the coffin." I chuckled on that one. I actually like East of Eden, but Grapes of Wrath?? I never figured out why that one seems to be the bigger classic.
Lol, it was Grapes of Wrath I was thinking of when I typed my comment. It's a shame because I think if you set a bvook in a certain era, you should expand on that. As much as I don't like the Great Depression and all the red dust, it's an important element, you need to elaborate on the eneral displacement migrationcaused, the poverty, etc. It was a character building and breaking time. In some ways, it sounds like the book could have been set in whatever time and it wouldn't have mattered. Perhaps the author would have done better not to mention it at all.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Helen_Combe wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 14:30 Shame, it looks like a book with great potential but instead is superficial. I like books with underlying messages. Great review.
Dael Reader wrote:I suspect every reader over the age of 10 would expect some underlying messages. Thanks for stopping by to comment.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I like it when an author creates a likeable main character. I'm already rooting for Red, because despite the abuse of his childhood, he somehow finds the confidence and determination to press forward in search of a better, happier life. It is a pity about the lack of character depth and mechanical errors. Thanks for the great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

This starts out sounding like a difficult read because of the abuse, but other than that, like it had great promise. What a disappointment when a book fails to measure up to your hopes. I, too, know the struggle to find an appropriate rating for a book like this.
Dael Reader

Post by Dael Reader »

Cotwani wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 18:10 I like it when an author creates a likeable main character. I'm already rooting for Red, because despite the abuse of his childhood, he somehow finds the confidence and determination to press forward in search of a better, happier life. It is a pity about the lack of character depth and mechanical errors. Thanks for the great review!
Dael Reader wrote:And thank you for stopping by to comment.
Dael Reader

Post by Dael Reader »

Kat Berg wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 12:24 This starts out sounding like a difficult read because of the abuse, but other than that, like it had great promise. What a disappointment when a book fails to measure up to your hopes. I, too, know the struggle to find an appropriate rating for a book like this.
Dael Reader wrote:The abuse that Red suffers from his family is not graphically described for the most part. We the readers are just told that he is abused without too many exact details. But yes, this book did fail to measure up to my hopes. Thank you for stopping by and commenting.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

I just suffered through a "memoir" that ended up just being a bunch of random stories from childhood to adulthood. Sounds just like this book, stories but nothing more. At least give me a cohesive plot and some depth. Appreciate the honest and thorough review!
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for your review! When I read a book, I like it when authors take you deeper into the life and times of the characters. It's not a good read for me if the book just skims the surface so I understand completely why you docked a star.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

This premise has great potential that apparently went unrealized in this book. I was thinking I would like this one, early on in your review, but I would be annoyed by the absence of deeper socioeconomic themes. I imagine the deeper psychological issues around the illegitimacy weren't fleshed out either. Your review gets 4 stars, without a doubt. Thanks for the introduction to this book.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Never mind the brothers, how can a mother abuse her own child? It's sad that we are not given the insight thoughts of the characters to learn how each action affect them emotionally, and the fact that the book is poorly edited doesn't help the case either. It comprises an interesting plot though. Fascinating review!
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Dael Reader wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 16:49 And in the early chapters, Red's friend Lou alludes to the stories of Finn and Sawyer, which added to my expectation that this would be a similar adventure story.
Ah, I see. Now your comparison makes sense.
Dael Reader

Post by Dael Reader »

jcoad wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 21:55 I just suffered through a "memoir" that ended up just being a bunch of random stories from childhood to adulthood. Sounds just like this book, stories but nothing more. At least give me a cohesive plot and some depth. Appreciate the honest and thorough review!
Dael Reader wrote:Yes! This was definitely part of my critique. Thanks for your comment.
Dael Reader

Post by Dael Reader »

Allyseria wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 15:01 Thank you for your review! When I read a book, I like it when authors take you deeper into the life and times of the characters. It's not a good read for me if the book just skims the surface so I understand completely why you docked a star.
Dael Reader wrote:Exactly. Thanks for your comment.
Dael Reader

Post by Dael Reader »

Eva Darrington wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 15:52 This premise has great potential that apparently went unrealized in this book. I was thinking I would like this one, early on in your review, but I would be annoyed by the absence of deeper socioeconomic themes. I imagine the deeper psychological issues around the illegitimacy weren't fleshed out either. Your review gets 4 stars, without a doubt. Thanks for the introduction to this book.
Dael Reader wrote:And thank you for your comment.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”