Official Review: Millie McDine by Margaret Scrowther

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Millie McDine by Margaret Scrowther

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Millie McDine" by Margaret Scrowther.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Millie McDine by author Margaret Scrowther is the coming-of-age story of a strong-willed girl who was raised by her grandmother after being abandoned by her parents. The story is set in various regions of Great Britain spanning from the mid-1940s to the early 1960s.

Helping out her grandmother, Kitty, at Beeches Guesthouse where they reside, is the only life Millie has ever known. When Millie is nearly fifteen, the circumstances of her arrival as an infant at the guesthouse are exposed by another resident. Her grandmother admits that Millie's father, a Romany Gypsy, brought Millie to her out of desperation when her daughter, Sadie, abandoned them both. Millie is stunned to learn that both her parents may be alive, but she is also troubled by the realization that they abandoned her. Her life as a teenager grows increasingly difficult when Kitty's illness requires Millie's constant care. At the same time, she is fighting to break free from being sexually abused by the housekeeper's son. After her grandmother dies, Millie is heartbroken, but when she learns of Kitty's careful financial planning to provide for her, she is determined to leave the darkness that has surrounded her young life behind her.

I must confess I grew impatient with the plot's lack of focus. The story began as a coming-of-age story about Millie, whose life was off to a traumatic start. Just as the poor girl seemed to gain a new lease on life, the storyline bounced all over the place. Millie went on one wild goose chase after another to rescue her friend Mary, whose destructive behavior was a bottomless pit constantly endangering those close to her. The recurring pattern of rearranging her life around Mary was inconsistent with Millie's otherwise strong-willed character. There were also major inconsistencies with the plot. For example, there was a character who attacked Millie when she was a teenager. Later in the story, he is introduced by a different name, and though there is no mention of his appearance changing, not only does Millie not recognize him, she is attracted to him. Needless to say, I found the idea beyond unrealistic. Additionally, there was another significant event in Millie's life at the beginning of the book that wasn't mentioned again in the story. Without exposing any spoilers, I would have much preferred following Millie as she sought answers for a life-altering change rather than following morose Mary's stunts. The gaps and inconsistencies frustrated me as a reader.

By far, what I liked most about the book was the ending. Again, I don't want to reveal any spoilers, but I was relieved to read a happy ending after a plot that included so much grief and sorrow. The ending held the promise of better things to come for Millie, finally.

In addition to the gaps and inconsistencies in the plot, I disliked the excessively dark themes. It is certainly the author's prerogative to write about topics such as sexual abuse, prostitution, deviant sexual behavior, and drug abuse. However, as the reader, I prefer to be warned. The brief synopsis I read did not prepare me for the sexually explicit content.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I appreciate that it was professionally edited and free of grammatical errors. While I enjoyed the happy ending, I can't overlook the many inconsistencies in the plot which really detracted from my enjoyment of the book. I would recommend it to readers who enjoy dark stories with explicit content. On the other hand, those who tend to avoid books with sexually explicit content should skip this one.

Millie McDine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sometimes it's very hard to tell what you are getting from a short blurb. That's why I appreciate these reviews so much. Due to the issues you had with this one and the sexually explicit material, I think I'm just going to avoid this one. It's just too dark for me right now. Thanks, though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 12:56 Sometimes it's very hard to tell what you are getting from a short blurb. That's why I appreciate these reviews so much. Due to the issues you had with this one and the sexually explicit material, I think I'm just going to avoid this one. It's just too dark for me right now. Thanks, though!
I agree. Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

There is nothing that irritates me more than characters names changing in a story. It makes for lazy storytelling.
I’m glad that you got a happy ending at least 🙂
Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Bianka Walter wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 14:19 There is nothing that irritates me more than characters names changing in a story. It makes for lazy storytelling.
I’m glad that you got a happy ending at least 🙂
Great review!
Thank you, Bianka!
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

It seemed to start out so well, I was interested. Then the mess that followed, well, that would annoy me too if I read this. The explicit scenes I don't need either -- I can take a hint, don't need it graphically laid out for me!

One thing though, I was talking to a strong-willed friend of mine last night who seems to be acting like Millie regarding HER friend. My friend insists on being in control of everything in her life, but this one friend has walked all over her for years. She has finally decided it's over, that isn't friendship. It truly shocked me that a strong-willed control freak like my friend would put up with what she has for so long, it's so out of character. So apparently, this DOES happen in real life.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Amanda Deck wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 17:11 It seemed to start out so well, I was interested. Then the mess that followed, well, that would annoy me too if I read this. The explicit scenes I don't need either -- I can take a hint, don't need it graphically laid out for me!

One thing though, I was talking to a strong-willed friend of mine last night who seems to be acting like Millie regarding HER friend. My friend insists on being in control of everything in her life, but this one friend has walked all over her for years. She has finally decided it's over, that isn't friendship. It truly shocked me that a strong-willed control freak like my friend would put up with what she has for so long, it's so out of character. So apparently, this DOES happen in real life.
That's a good point. I just wanted good things for Millie after her hard life! Thanks for your comment.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for your review. The book sounded very interesting until you mentioned the plot's lack of focus and inconsistencies. These are big no-nos for me so I'll have to pass on this book.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Allyseria wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 18:00 Thank you for your review. The book sounded very interesting until you mentioned the plot's lack of focus and inconsistencies. These are big no-nos for me so I'll have to pass on this book.
Thank you for your comment.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Dark stories and an explicit content aren't congruent with my mindset at the moment. I could feel your frustration with the book. Thanks for the charming and candid review, Cecilia! :D
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 13:44 Dark stories and an explicit content aren't congruent with my mindset at the moment. I could feel your frustration with the book. Thanks for the charming and candid review, Cecilia! :D
We agree, Ruba. Thank you for your comment.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”