Official Review: Beneath The Bedrock by Julien Bradley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Beneath The Bedrock by Julien Bradley

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beneath The Bedrock" by Julien Bradley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Beneath the Bedrock by Julien Bradley is a fiction novel that chronicles the events following the death of Buddy Altman, Ramona Brady-Strong’s father. The exhilarating incidents that follow present an enthralling romance story full of many unexpected twists.

As Ramona, better known as Mony, leaves Minnesota for Williston, North Dakota, she meets John, a lawyer representing the Monroe Oil Company. Their attraction to each other is instant but Mony is not willing to pursue the relationship further. When they meet again, they realize they are fighting on opposite ends of the brewing battle for mineral rights. With Buddy’s death, new investors looking to snatch away Ramona’s inheritance crop up. When Mony arrives home, she is met by the Fergusons, her long-time family friends. Nate Ferguson is more than glad to see her and hopes to rekindle what they lost in their teenage years. Unraveling the hidden memories comes at a cost along with unbearable pain for everyone involved.

I found the setting of the story befitting the novel. Williston is a small town where everyone seems to know everyone. As Bradley reveals the drama surrounding the plot, the slow-paced life in Williston provides a great backdrop that allows the story to stand out. The characters are also enhanced by the setting. Shannon, a former schoolmate of Mony, seems to know a lot about the Fergusons and Altmans and she uses her knowledge to try and get what she wants. The important role that the two families play and their stature in the community is easily understood through the size and slow-paced nature of the town.

Bradley designs an engaging conflict from the start of the book to its end. On one hand, there is John, a modern, ambitious and calculating lawyer who is used to getting what he wants. The prospect of pursuing Ramona has him hooked and he is willing to do everything he needs to do to have her for himself. Then there is Nate Ferguson, the rock star who already has deep history with her. Nate cannot entertain the thought of losing Ramona again. To him, she is back and she is now his and nothing can change that.

It was a little disappointing that the book is part of a series. It is the first of the Bakken Series and some aspects of the story are left incomplete. I would have wanted to know more. Still, the story is a delightful read and it is also well-written. It is a must-read for anyone who appreciates romance stories that contain family secrets and strands of legal battles. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Beneath The Bedrock
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
rainydaysc64
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 834
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rainydaysc64.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler
Reading Device: B00OZTU156

Post by rainydaysc64 »

Definitely sounds like an interesting read that I could sink into. I agree with you though that I don’t know how I feel about it being a book in a series. From the plot it sounds like a standalone book so I don’t know if I’d read the rest after this one. I guess it would depend on the ending for me.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a book."
- J.K. Rowling
KariM86
Bookshelf Size: 0
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by KariM86 »

It sounds like a good book to read. But I dont like how it’s a series. I don’t know if I can keep reading it and wait for the next book.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

EmunahAn wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 03:35 It was a little disappointing that the book is part of a series. It is the first of the Bakken Series and some aspects of the story are left incomplete. I would have wanted to know more.
Ooh, that's a shame. Sounds like you really enjoyed the book. Your review really shows it. Just too bad you didn't get to find out how it ends.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like it's pretty typical for a romance. Two people on opposite sides of an issue that come together in the end. Still, it sounds like a good read. Romance just isn't my cup of tea, though. Thanks for the review, but I'm going to pass on this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
avantkristine
Favorite Author: Louise Erdrich
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avantkristine.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane
fav_author_id: 3184

Post by avantkristine »

Wow, your review intrigues me. Being from Minnesota and knowing friends that live in Williston, the setting for the story is absolutely perfect for a love triangle involving family drama and a battle over oil. It sounds like it provides just the perfect amount of background, with a focus on the relationships. I also love the typical new stranger romance versus an old love. I may have to check this out!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Oh, the tangled web of small-town life. This sounds like a sweet romance. I really like you describe the love triangle. Your writing is very interesting. Good job!
Mowah22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Mowah22 »

Sounds good and very romantic, because it involves u people fighting for same thing coming together to become one

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”