Official Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Official Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns

Post by Kitkat3 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Bundle of Colorful Yarns" by Louis Winslow.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Bundle of Colorful Yarns: An Eclectic Short Story Collection by Louis Winslow includes a story about a vampire, a story about a sasquatch, one about an evil monkey, an ironic situation with a lottery ticket, ghost stories, true stories of the author’s experiences in Mexico and the United States, and many more. It truly is an eclectic mix. This book is good for those that enjoy reading in short spurts.

Most of the stories were set in the outdoors, which was refreshing. I love the cover, because it really fits the majority of the short stories in the book, and it really made me want to read it. I wish that a couple of the stories were longer, as they would have been more interesting if they were more developed.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I found four grammar mistakes in my 252 page version. Some of the short stories were interesting and fun to read, but I did not like all of them. This is the positive of having so many different kinds in one book. Some of them were also better written than others, in my opinion. In reflecting on how I feel about the author’s writing style, I think that the reason that I cannot give a higher rating is because he sometimes tells instead of showing. This probably is not helped by the fact that many of the stories rely heavily on dialogue. However, I thought that most of the dialogue was very believable.

What I didn’t expect was that I liked the nonfiction stories best, and I do not tend to enjoy nonfiction as much. I felt like he wrote best when describing events in his own life. He managed to make stories about his dogs and their hunting trips interesting. Some of the fiction stories seemed a little flat to me, although the author does have a good imagination. Other fiction stories however were intriguing and had interesting twists. I also like the wide range of subjects the fiction short stories covered.

This book has some violence, disturbing, and sexual content, so I would not recommend it to young readers. I think that my favorite stories were when ghosts visited the main character. They were both cleverly written and creepy. The endings were unpredictable, and I feel that this was when the author’s real talent shown through. Interestingly, I think that the author's true talent is in nonfiction and supernatural fiction, which are obviously complete opposites. That is what makes A Bundle of Colorful Yarns so amazing to read; it is so rare for an author to succeed in such varied genres.

A Bundle of Colorful Yarns
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kitkat3's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

This book sounds like an interesting mix. I don't think I've read a book laid out like this one before. I do like reading stories in short spurts so I think I would enjoy this one. I think it would be fun to read the nonfiction as well as the other stories too.
Mac :techie-reference:
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

This sounds like an enjoyable book you could read bits at a time on rainy days. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I like it more for real stories. Hearing real-life stories about ghosts will be a dream come true. Thanks for the enchanting review.
JacqueDk
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JacqueDk »

Learning about real life ghosts is scary but exciting at the same time,the suspense makes one want to read more and more.. I rate this book 4****
mhiz honeytovia
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mhiz honeytovia »

First time commenting here, well I really like this book and I'll love to explore more
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Sounds a little too messy for my tastes. That said, you wrote a nice review. I'm glad you found the book interesting.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love short story collections. You get to read about so many different things, and it doesn't take long. This one sounds pretty well done; it seems like there's something for everyone. I understand about telling instead of showing. That can get annoying. Still, I think it's worth a look. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Thank you for your very thorough review. It lets me know that this is not a book for me. I am not a fan of short-story collections, and that would have made me wonder about whether or not I wanted to pick this book up. However, your last paragraph indicated that there is some disturbing violence that I don't want to get into.

Thanks, again!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”