Official Review: A Nanny for Harry by Sylvia Mulholland

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Official Review: A Nanny for Harry by Sylvia Mulholland

Post by Supergirl1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Nanny for Harry" by Sylvia Mulholland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the final weeks of her pregnancy with baby Harry, Kali feels anything but attractive. Formerly slim, sexy, smartly dressed hotshot lawyer, the only shoes her swollen feet now fit into are an old pair of converse sneakers belonging to her husband Matt. Being five years older than her husband does nothing to soothe her frazzled, insecure mind. So when Matt hires a svelte Swedish model as their son’s nanny, all her insecurities come screaming to the surface. It doesn’t help that Harry takes to this nanny like a fish to water as that just makes Kali scared of losing her baby’s love to the nanny. Then she finds out this sexy nanny and her husband know each other from way back. What is Matt hiding from Kali? How will their marriage survive?

When I started reading A Nanny for Harry, I couldn’t help but feel something terrible was going to happen. The author kept the suspense going, and I kept turning the pages to find out what happens, all the while praying it wouldn’t be too terrible. This story is so realistic and hit close to home for me. I have had to take care of my baby cousin, so each emotionally charged scene felt so real. I wish I could tell what happened, but I prefer you read this book. Though I can and will let you know I loved the ending.

Great character development is a huge turn-on in a fictional story. This is especially evident in the primary character, Kali. Towards the end of the story, she becomes less clingy and develops into a more likable character. The author employs a contemporary setting that makes the story very relatable and easily understood. She also includes Swedish culture and language. The book’s title suits the story. What’s not to like? I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I found this book’s overall theme of childcare interesting. Kali wanted a nanny who could also cook and clean. Well, she got one, but the baby would not let this nanny touch him! Many working ladies who are mothers have to deal with the issues raised in this book at one point or the other. Most new mothers, like the heroine, also have to battle postpartum depression at the same time. But eventually, other issues pale into insignificance when the baby’s welfare is at stake. This book drives home the fact that caring for children is no walk in the park.

I recommend this book to everyone who loves babies. It’s a story that will remind you of little ones and of the various experiences and emotions that one can have with them. It might also teach you a thing or two about tolerance.

A Nanny for Harry
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Supergirl1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

What a rich book! It tackles several vital issues that hit home for me. It's going on my reading list right away. Thank you for the captivating and insightful review. :tiphat:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This definitely sounds like it hits close to home. I can imagine this setting all too well. I wonder if there is anything really going on with the Nanny or if it's just her insecurities? I guess I'll have to read to find out. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Seems like I read a review on this book a while back. I'm curious about the nanny and her husband's relationship, but not enough to pick this one up. I think I would find the husband annoying. Glad you enjoyed the book, thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for the review and recommendation! I love babies and can't wait to have one in the future so I think I would love reading this kind of book :) I love that the characters are fully developed. Hopefully the husband character won't be too annoying for me.
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

This is a really good review and keeps us in suspense in much the same way as you describe the book as doing.

I haven't had to deal with Postnatal depression but as a mum to two toddlers I know just how hard it is coping and balancing life, emotions, their welfare. I've watched my eldest latch on to nana and felt pushed to the side and insignificant so I'm intrigued as to how this pans out.

My story had its happy ending, so I want to hope that this one does too. :lol:
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
prhyme
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prhyme.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by prhyme »

It's great from your description.How fantasy meets reality. I am definitely going to pick this one up
"Lock up your libraries if you like;but there is no gate,no lock,no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind."
-Virginia Woolf
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

Thank you for the review, it sounds like an interesting read and I will definitely be adding this to my reading list.
Ameliakarugu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ameliakarugu »

Thank you for the review, am already curious about the book am definitely reading it.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 02:41 What a rich book! It tackles several vital issues that hit home for me. It's going on my reading list right away. Thank you for the captivating and insightful review. :tiphat:
:) :) Thanks for your lovely comment. I’m glad you liked the review!
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

kandscreeley wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 07:46 This definitely sounds like it hits close to home. I can imagine this setting all too well. I wonder if there is anything really going on with the Nanny or if it's just her insecurities? I guess I'll have to read to find out. Thanks!
The story reminded me so much of one of my now distant friends. She would get really paranoid around any nanny or help that had more curves than she did! This is one of those books you want to discuss right after reading it. Thanks for your comment.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

AmySmiles wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 08:04 Seems like I read a review on this book a while back. I'm curious about the nanny and her husband's relationship, but not enough to pick this one up. I think I would find the husband annoying. Glad you enjoyed the book, thanks for the review.
I agree he was a little annoying, but I forgave him towards the end when I somehow understood the reason for his actions. Turns out he wasn’t so blah after all. Thanks for your comment.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

Allyseria wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 08:52 Thank you for the review and recommendation! I love babies and can't wait to have one in the future so I think I would love reading this kind of book :) I love that the characters are fully developed. Hopefully the husband character won't be too annoying for me.
I love babies too :D :) . I’m godmother to an adorable little girl and can’t get enough of her cute smiles.

And the husband’s character might win your heart at the end.
Last edited by Supergirl1 on 31 Aug 2018, 06:12, edited 1 time in total.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

Ti-G wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 10:46 This is a really good review and keeps us in suspense in much the same way as you describe the book as doing.

I haven't had to deal with Postnatal depression but as a mum to two toddlers I know just how hard it is coping and balancing life, emotions, their welfare. I've watched my eldest latch on to nana and felt pushed to the side and insignificant so I'm intrigued as to how this pans out.

My story had its happy ending, so I want to hope that this one does too. :lol:
I have this respect for mothers and both eagerly anticipate and dread becoming one myself. You guys rock!

I loved the ending of this story though. It explained all the craziness going on and made me happy I chose the book.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

prhyme wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 11:33 It's great from your description.How fantasy meets reality. I am definitely going to pick this one up
Thank you!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”