Official Review: The Most Popular President Who Ever Live...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: The Most Popular President Who Ever Live...

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Most Popular President Who Ever Lived (so far)" by Nancy Omeara.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine a presidential candidate who made all her personal records including tax returns and previous voting history available online. Would you vote for her? What if once elected, the first female president shut down the IRS? According to author Nancy Omeara, The Most Popular President Who Ever Lived (So Far): A Smart, Sassy Satire is a fictional autobiography and account of events prior to taking place.

The M.P.P. won by a landslide vote after introducing BFD (Brazen Full Disclosure.) BFD refers to self-exposing personal secrets and controversies by posting them online and linking them to relevant documents, thereby removing the power from prospective opponents. After she was elected, her popularity only increased as she continued to implement much-needed change. The American people also took note that the M.P.P. worked from home and didn't receive a government salary. In turn, she prospered from her book royalties.

True to its subtitle, this is a smart, sassy satire. It's a quick read which I read in one sitting and thoroughly enjoyed. The book is well-written, witty, and funny. Omeara's spin on society's current obsession with reducing everything to acronyms is particularly humorous. For example, the reformative National Sales Tax Elective is NSTE which is pronounced “nasty." Though most of the story is told tongue-in-cheek, it also includes many insightful ideas, such as reflections on the education and prison systems.

What I enjoyed most about this book was the final chapter, I Digress, which addressed the issue of trying to normalize children with special needs, especially within the education system. Omeara gave examples of famous historical figures who didn't fit in like Marie Curry, Helen Keller, and Einstein. The chapter was less satirical than the rest of the book but spot-on. I also appreciated the clever historical notes at the conclusion of each chapter. Most of the thoughts were humorous, but a few invited more serious reflection.

I'm unable to highlight any detractions from this thought-provoking book. Regarding errors, I noted only a single typo. I’m pleased to rate this witty book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who enjoy humorous quick reads and political satire. I consider it nonpartisan due to the fact that it doesn’t discriminate in who it pokes fun at, so it will appeal to various political parties. On the other hand, if you don’t appreciate political satire, this probably isn’t the book for you.

The Most Popular President Who Ever Lived (so far)
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I usually don't enjoy any books that have anything to do with politics. BUT, this one sounds so unique and sassy that it really makes me want to take a look. I have to say that I would almost welcome a candidate that had full disclosure. What's so wrong with that? Thanks so much for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Someone in politics that doesn't have anything to hide? Wow, imagine a society like that and things just might start to improve. Too bad it's the total opposite of what we have. I hate politics and don't find anything comical about it. Thanks for the review though.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 07:53 I usually don't enjoy any books that have anything to do with politics. BUT, this one sounds so unique and sassy that it really makes me want to take a look. I have to say that I would almost welcome a candidate that had full disclosure. What's so wrong with that? Thanks so much for the review!
I don't usually select books about politics either, but this was a welcome change! Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

AmySmiles wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 08:07 Someone in politics that doesn't have anything to hide? Wow, imagine a society like that and things just might start to improve. Too bad it's the total opposite of what we have. I hate politics and don't find anything comical about it. Thanks for the review though.
I agree. This book was a polar opposite to usual political views, which is why I enjoyed it. :lol2: I appreciate your comment.
Sarah Starling
Favorite Author: Alix E. Harrow
Favorite Book: Starling House
Currently Reading: Love and Other Words
Bookshelf Size: 10084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-starling.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 176795

Post by Sarah Starling »

I love the concept of this book and it sounds like the author was on point with the execution as well! Definitely adding this to my "To Read" shelf!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

StarkidStarling wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 10:28 I love the concept of this book and it sounds like the author was on point with the execution as well! Definitely adding this to my "To Read" shelf!
Great! Hope you enjoy it. I appreciate your comment.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Your review had me giggling. The concept is unique and fun. The last chapter sounds like an interesting inclusion as well. Great review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

SABRADLEY wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 12:13 Your review had me giggling. The concept is unique and fun. The last chapter sounds like an interesting inclusion as well. Great review!
It really is a funny book. :lol2: Thank you for your comment!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I had a big smile on my face while reading your review. I especially liked the part mentioning the society's obsession with acronyms, which is true. I believe I will enjoy reading this book. I appreciate your witty, detailed, and engaging review, Cecilia. Thanks for the recommendation. :D
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 15:28 I had a big smile on my face while reading your review. I especially liked the part mentioning the society's obsession with acronyms, which is true. I believe I will enjoy reading this book. I appreciate your witty, detailed, and engaging review, Cecilia. Thanks for the recommendation. :D
Ruba, you leave the nicest comments. Thank you, and I hope you enjoy the book!
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

This line made me laugh,
...a fictional autobiography and account of events prior to taking place...

so I was pretty sure I'd want to read it. Then the rest of your review clinched it, a thought-provoking read AND fun.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Doesn't it just get to the point where we all need a good laugh anyway? Gosh, I miss the days of not being bombarded by such negativity on both sides and all the mud slinging. I try to turn away from it all, so this book would be a welcome relief especially if it is funny and is non-partisan. A nicely done review, and maybe a book I can suggest to those in my life like myself who are worn out from all the 'seriousness' of our society.
Everything happens for a reason...
Abbaskhalid
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Abbaskhalid »

Great review. There is clear but to the point information about the book. Made it quicker for me to decide whether I was going to read the book or not.
Beelzebruh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Beelzebruh »

Great review. I appreciate it when a review reflects the subject quite well. Short, to the point, and matter of fact. The book sounds enjoyable, though I generally don't read anything political, but it seems non-partisan and fun enough. I'll definitely have to check it out.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”