Official Review: The Fine Print and Other Yarns

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: The Fine Print and Other Yarns

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Fine Print and Other Yarns" by Dinesh Verma.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Fine Print and Other Yarns by Dinesh Verma is a captivating collection of short stories that largely presents the clash in culture experienced by Indians who traveled to France throughout three decades.

The book is divided into three parts. Part I shares accounts from the 1980s when the economy in India was closed and full of restrictions. Part II deals with an age that witnessed the appearance of the internet and the more relaxed setting of the Indian economy in the ‘90s. Part III largely dwells on the early 2000s when the internet was still growing. In the story ‘The Overcoat’, we meet Amitabh, a generous man who goes through radical change after facing financial hardships in France. In another story, we encounter Alu, a young man from a privileged background who faces the challenges of sharing a hostel with diverse characters. The author also incorporates stories from India and even accounts that are not told necessarily by Indians.

Mostly, I loved reading the book because all the stories were downright hilarious! The change that occurs when a person encounters cultural shocks and economic hardship is simply captivating. The characters in the book are engaging and relatable. Their reactions and comments were really comical and presented the different sides of human nature. The story ‘Bawa and his White Fiat’ features a stubborn man who will not relent and change due to social pressure. Bawa treasures his white Fiat and continuously defends his position of not switching to a newer car model.

While still containing humor, the stories present important themes that made me take a closer look at the underlying message. In the story, ‘Bawa and his White Fiat’ for example, Dinesh Verma highlights the changing economic landscape in India from the stringent 1980s to the more relaxed economic restraints in the 1990s and the growth spurt that follows in the next decade. The story ‘The Mobile Phone Dealer’, features a government employee who travels in the same cabin with a criminal. On one hand, Ram is disgusted by the criminal’s boastful speeches. Yet, Ram recognizes the obstacles the lawbreaker has had to overcome. This conflict makes this story even more thought-provoking.

Dinesh Verma has a unique ability to capture human nature in its rawest and most honest form. While a sprinkling of humor is present in all the stories, every reader captivated by accounts that feature cultural differences especially those from India is bound to love this book. I rate The Fine Print and Other Yarns 4 out of 4 stars.

The Fine Print and Other Yarns
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! It sounds like there are a lot of different themes to these stories. I do enjoy being able to read stories in short bursts instead of all at one time, so books like these appeal to me. Thanks for the review. I'll look into this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This book really interests me. Having lived in different countries, the theme of cultural shock is of particular interest to me. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Likey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Likey »

Great review, thank you! Do you know if the stories are based on real events?
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A set of stories revolving around Indians in Paris and the culture clash they experience sounds good. It is good that the stories shade some light on the cultural shocks the characters encounter outside of their country. Humor, important themes, and good writing make for a good book. I am not fond of short stories, but I am glad you enjoyed the book. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Misael Carlos
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

I like short stories, it is nice to meet different characters in different plots or themes or genre. This books seems hilarious and full of relatable stories and people. Happy reading to us!
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

I haven't read short stories in a while. You make them sound very nuanced. I like the idea of a criminal traveling with a bureaucrat. Most people would find things to dislike about both those characters!
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review. This book of short stories mostly set in Paris featuring Indian people sounds interesting. The mixture of themes of culture shock and economic class differences over three decades seems not only humorous but also a bit educational. Congrats to the author on a terrific review. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
rusyalana
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 156

Post by rusyalana »

I'm not a fan of short stories but I'm sure the book will find its reader. It really dwells on topics that a lot of people have encountered not once but on many different occassions and these are cultural shocks and economic hardship. It will attract the people's attention. Congratulations on becoming BOTD!
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I am not a fan of short stories. However, I do like that the author has included several themes in the stories and kept each story interesting. I am glad you enjoyed reading them. Great review.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

A very interesting plot that convey the socio-economic history of India. I'll give it a try, short stories aren't that bad either. Thank you for your kind review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

Stories of Indian culture are a value to everyone. Indian history is something I am not familiar with, but I want to learn more.
Sha_hrun
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sha-hrun.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Sha_hrun »

Great review. I am a huge fan of humor and I would love to read this book
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This collection of short stories highlights culture shock and economic hardship, captures human nature, and is told with a sprinkling of humor, making it enjoyable to read.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

Thumbs up for a good review...i think i wont be interested in this book as i am not an indian and these stories describe the life of indian guys. It would be hard for me to relate to this story so its a no for me.
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”