Official Review: Of Free Will And Providence by Chip Byers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Official Review: Of Free Will And Providence by Chip Byers

Post by Morgan Jones »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Of Free Will And Providence" by Chip Byers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Of Free Will and Providence by Chip Byers is the story of Chris, an autistic man with a constant need for control and acceptance by others. Over the years, he has created a false image of himself that highly contrasts with his true nature in order to hide his disabilities and fit into society’s standards. However, despite his great efforts, Chris still finds himself alone yet again after witnessing everyone he accustomed himself to move on with their lives – ultimately, leaving Chris behind. The fact forces Chris to take a rash decision and relocate to an orbital satellite, hoping for a fresh start and a sense of stability. It is outside the Earth where Chris’ adventure begins, and he later realizes that there’s more to life than preplanned conversations and tailoring your identity in order to please those around you.

To start off, I would like to point out that the plot discusses sensitive themes such as religion, race, ethics, and sexuality, so readers who pick this book should have an open mind while evaluating the author’s perspective of such topics. Chris’ perception of the world is unique indeed, mainly due to autism and a harsh upbringing. His thought process and beliefs are constantly varying as much as they’re solid which, consequently, make his actions unpredictable most of the time, but never farfetched or out of character. The author took great care in creating Chris’ versatile personality while also ensuring that it's as realistic as possible.

It was mentioned in the summary that the author wishes to erase the stigma behind autistic people and, hopefully, educate the readers about the condition and its varying degrees. For this reason, I think it was extremely beneficial to create Chase’s character, who is Chris’ roommate. He is a lower-functioning, autistic man who has never attempted to fit into society’s standards – unlike Chris. On the surface, both seem completely different from one another. Chase can’t bring himself to face the real world and frequently hides in the stateroom, while Chris is constantly attempting to mimic others’ mannerisms in order to generate smooth conversations and be deemed normal. Their contrasting views and different backgrounds created a rather strange yet insightful dynamic – which further stressed upon the fact that there’s a spectrum beneath the term ‘autism’, other than the known stereotypes, and broadened the scope of the discussion.

What I also enjoyed about the book is the natural flow of the storyline. The author did a fantastic job in explaining and building the futuristic world he created while also maintaining the steady pace of the plot. Of course, some aspects were still a little bit confusing – considering that the plot is set in an orbital satellite – but I think the majority of the story was thoroughly elaborated and well-developed. Moreover, each of the minor characters had a distant personality completely different from the other. Their stories and outlook of the world were definitely fresh, thought-provoking and extremely diverse. It was certainly interesting to read about their various opinions and beliefs.

I found a few typos throughout the book, but they didn’t affect the flow of the story and were very minor. Other than that, the book seemed to be professionally edited and proofread.

For the reasons above, I will rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. One word I found to be very fitting for the whole theme of the book is ‘stimulating.’ The plot itself doesn’t have a solid direction and barely gives you a moment to contemplate the ending, but it's told very skillfully and naturally that I couldn't put the book down until the very end. I absolutely loved the inclusivity of various races and religions, how the author concentrated on the tiniest details in order to showcase a character’s individuality and how this whole universe was crafted in general. I would recommend this book to anyone who’s looking for a clever and profound read.

Of Free Will And Providence
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Morgan Jones's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Sounds like a really good book. That's one of the best things about books that you can see the world from someone else's perspective.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have a nephew who is autistic, so I'm familiar with how wide ranging the condition can be. This definitely sounds like an interesting premise behind a book. I'm interested to see what the protagonists beliefs are about so many varied subjects. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

AliceofX wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 07:06 Sounds like a really good book. That's one of the best things about books that you can see the world from someone else's perspective.
I completely agree with you! It's certainly interesting to witness the world through someone else's eyes. Thank you for commenting :D
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

kandscreeley wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 14:19 I have a nephew who is autistic, so I'm familiar with how wide ranging the condition can be. This definitely sounds like an interesting premise behind a book. I'm interested to see what the protagonists beliefs are about so many varied subjects. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for commenting! I hope you enjoy the book too if you ever decide to pick it up :D
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

What a fascinating book and an awesome review! Great job - this sounds like a really good one worth reading :)
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 05 Sep 2018, 09:48 What a fascinating book and an awesome review! Great job - this sounds like a really good one worth reading :)
It really is! Thank you for your kind words :D
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This sounds like an interesting premise. I'm glad the author managed to pull it off so well, especially with such sensitive subjects.
I enjoyed your review - thanks :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:

Post by Morgan Jones »

Bianka Walter wrote: 05 Sep 2018, 10:34 This sounds like an interesting premise. I'm glad the author managed to pull it off so well, especially with such sensitive subjects.
I enjoyed your review - thanks :)
Thank you so much for commenting :D
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

What a unique concept for a book. There are books, both fiction and non-fiction, discussing autism or featuring autistic characters, but the whole concept of moving to the satellite puts a new twist on it. I've been particularly interested in autism since watching The Good Doctor with the doctor who has high-functioning autism and is a savant. They also depict an autistic patient in the show who is on a vastly different level of functionality. Very interesting review.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Thanks for this review. I enjoyed reading it and I would definitely pick this book if a chance comes along. It was good that the author included another autistic character hence making a contrast between him and Chris would be easier since they have the same condition. Above all, the book is very practical and the lessons are worth everyone reading this, especially on being oneself.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Excellent review!! I just love books that get autism right and this seems to be one of them. Especially since there's such a negative stigma surrounding it even now.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I really enjoy fiction that brings attention to and tries to bring understanding to stigmas. Its really refreshing to get to see how disabilities and conditions change how people think and react to everyday occurrences. I will be checking this out. I especially like that he decided to work on an orbital satellite.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

Thanks for the review. I enjoyed it,
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

This sounds like a great book. A topic like this can go terribly wrong but it sounds like it is pulled off flawlessly. I don't really understand why it had to be set on a different planet but doesn't sound like it matters. You did a great job highlighting why this book is so well done and I will definitely be adding it to my reading list.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”