Review by holaerjon -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
holaerjon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holaerjon.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Review by holaerjon -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by holaerjon » 28 Aug 2018, 17:22

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

McDowellby William H. Coles is about a surgeon who is very malicious, cruel, and power-hungry. He is on his way to become President of the International College of Surgeons. His downfall starts when McDowell is convicted of murdering his grandson in his hospital bed. McDowell is convicted and sentenced to prison. In the later part of the book, he escapes jail and on the run as a fugitive. He then begins trying to get spiritual redemption during this time.

The author develops characters with very strong personalities. The story is put together very well. It has very independent characters that play a huge part in the story. When McDowells wealth and privilege collapses, William H. Coles can make the reader feel as if they should despise the main character because of his ugly soul. There is use of very dramatic parts.

This is a great piece of work that has a compelling backstory. There are great descriptions and the intrigue pulls us into the story. There is personal drama and situations to keep us involved. There are some adult scenes and obscene language so I would not recommend to younger kids.

Coles fills you in without describing every last detail so you do not get bogged down in the words. It is a very compelling story with a unique spin. This story felt like it really could occur in this world. The book was very addicting where I did not want to put it down.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. There were very few grammar mistakes and great composition. There were no spoilers in this book and did not know what the outcome was going to be which kept me wanting to read.

William H. Coles puts a lot of heart, time and effort into this story you the way it is written. I was experiencing the same emotions as what the characters were feeling. This was focused on ethical, moral, and personal themes. It was a truly original story. The changing plot forced the characters out of their comfort zone and into situations that challenged them. It is written in a very literary style that has good tension all the way through with great details. This book is both edgy and fun. There is an underlying message we can all relate to. It has substance and can make you a part of the authentic human experience.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like holaerjon's review? Post a comment saying so!

Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: Call Her Miss Ross
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa » 02 Oct 2018, 07:23

Hello, Holaerjon
I want to tell you that you have made a great attempt to get a name in the reviewers of the book McDowell by William H.Coles. You have written an incident when McDowell murdered his grandson and was imprisoned. This event makes the review clear because it has been made clear by your way of description.

HollandBlue
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 230
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by HollandBlue » 02 Oct 2018, 08:46

Thanks for your review! I've been reading a lot of reviews about McDowell today and particularly like yours. You give just enough information to get one interested in the book without giving away any spoilers.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)

T_stone
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone » 06 Oct 2018, 19:43

Currently reading this now. Your review in fact is clear enough. Good one.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”