Official Review: The Caged Butterfly by Marian L. Thomas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: The Caged Butterfly by Marian L. Thomas

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Caged Butterfly" by Marian L. Thomas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"If you don't believe in inner beauty, then you ain't nothing but a caged butterfly." Addie Mayfield

The Caged Butterfly by author Marian L. Thomas is the heartrending story of the Mayfield/Taylor family spanning four generations ranging from the 1930s-1990s. While the character-driven plot touches on relevant social issues such as child abuse, racism, skin bleaching, and suicide, ultimately it is a story of love and forgiveness.

The book begins with Addie Mayfield's loving letter to her unborn child which plays a central theme throughout the plot. As the story unfolds, the reader is introduced to Addie's mother, son, and granddaughter: Millie, Timmy, and Nina. Alternating between the cities of Georgia, Chicago, and New York, and told through first-person narratives by each character, the plot follows the family's history, relationships, triumphs, and sorrows. The book emphasizes self-acceptance, forgiveness, and redemption regardless of life's hardships.

Every so often, I have the pleasure of getting lost in a book that I know will stay with me. The author's writing style pulls in the reader and seamlessly weaves the plot between generations and different geographical cultures. Rich in dialogue and featuring a memorable cast of well-developed characters, The Caged Butterfly will not be soon forgotten. Reminiscent of The Help, though there are many bittersweet moments in the story, there are also instances of joy and humor.

What I enjoyed most about this book were the realistic dialogues between characters. Whether it was Millie and Jean dishing about the neighborhood residents over biscuits and gravy, or Boney Bass Bryan imparting street-sense smarts to Tim, the conversations were thoroughly engaging. Tossed in the mix were gems of wisdom such as, "Rich folks got too many issues trying to stay rich," and "If you got to lay down in wrinkled sheets, just remember who did the wrinkling."

As much as I loved the book, I found it hard to define an aspect I disliked. However, without exposing any spoilers, there were a few circumstances where tragedies seemed abrupt, leaving me feeling a little shell-shocked. Even so, these issues were resolved later in the plot and didn't detract from my overall enjoyment of the book.

It's evident the book was professionally edited, as I noted only one error. I'm pleased to give this well-written book 4 out of 4 stars. The intricate plot will appeal to an eclectic audience. Readers who enjoy books about family relationships and related social issues will appreciate it. Fans of The Help will likely enjoy this book, too.

The Caged Butterfly
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Sounds like an enjoyable read, but I just don't think this one excites me as much right now. Glad you enjoyed it, thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

AmySmiles wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 13:09 Sounds like an enjoyable read, but I just don't think this one excites me as much right now. Glad you enjoyed it, thanks for the review.
Thanks, Amy.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Family relationships, an intricate plot, and well-developed characters- I couldn't possibly ask for more from a book. This one goes directly to my reading list. It shows how much you've enjoyed the book and have been moved by it. I salute you for the captivating review. Thanks, Cecilia. :D
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 13:53 Family relationships, an intricate plot, and well-developed characters- I couldn't possibly ask for more from a book. This one goes directly to my reading list. It shows how much you've enjoyed the book and have been moved by it. I salute you for the captivating review. Thanks, Cecilia. :D
Thank you Ruba. :tiphat: Hope you enjoy the book!
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

From the thoughtful and nicely written review this sounds like an interesting story. As I enjoyed 'The Help', although I must confess I watched the movie version, I think the Caged Butterfly would probably appeal to me. I like it when the characters are realistic and you can follow their history, with its challenges, joyful moments and everything in between. When it is sprinkled with a little humor and wisdom so much the better.

"If you don't believe in inner beauty, then you ain't nothing but a caged butterfly." Addie Mayfield - I like that quote.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Britty01 wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 15:55 From the thoughtful and nicely written review this sounds like an interesting story. As I enjoyed 'The Help', although I must confess I watched the movie version, I think the Caged Butterfly would probably appeal to me. I like it when the characters are realistic and you can follow their history, with its challenges, joyful moments and everything in between. When it is sprinkled with a little humor and wisdom so much the better.

"If you don't believe in inner beauty, then you ain't nothing but a caged butterfly." Addie Mayfield - I like that quote.
Thanks for your comment. I think you'll enjoy the book. :)
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I love the subtitle "Love The Skin You're In" and the imagery of a caged butterfly. Your raving review makes me eager to read Addie's story.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Miriam Molina wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 18:30 I love the subtitle "Love The Skin You're In" and the imagery of a caged butterfly. Your raving review makes me eager to read Addie's story.
Thank you, Miriam!
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

This sounds like a book that I would definitely enjoy! I like reading about this time period, and it's interesting to read a story that spans generations because most books do not do that. Thank you for the review!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

The fact that you were able to get lost in the story and know it will stay with you speaks well of this book. I enjoyed The Help and look forward to digging into this one. Thanks!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Nice review Cecilia. Not a book for me though. I don't really enjoy books that mostly focus on family ties and social issues. Not my kind of drama ;)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I love a book that engrosses you so thoroughly as this book seems to do. I also love the fact that it keeps you thinking long after it's done. It sounds like a beautiful book. Thanks for your review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Post by Supergirl1 »

The abrupt tragedies remind me of Tolkein’s A Song of Ice and Fire. This book sounds like one I would totally fall in love with. Great review, I must say. Thanks!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Allyseria wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 22:41 This sounds like a book that I would definitely enjoy! I like reading about this time period, and it's interesting to read a story that spans generations because most books do not do that. Thank you for the review!
I think you will enjoy it. Thanks for your comment! :tiphat:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”