Review by Chsmbrwn -- Illustrated Short Fiction of Willi...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Review by Chsmbrwn -- Illustrated Short Fiction of Willi...

Post by DC Brown »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A review of Illustrated Short Fiction of William H Coles: 2000-2016 by William H Coles

Mr. Coles has given us an amazing range of stories. Of course, some are better than others. And some just leave a lot of questions. Others seem like sketches for longer stories.

Sister Carrie, for example, raises the question: Why was Jessie so angry? She was angry with Carrie. She was angry with the minister. She was angry with her boss. She was angry with Harold Lester from the first time she met him. But why? Even though that question hangs in the air through the entire novella, the story itself is very good.

Another example would be The Gift. In 1959 America, an out of wedlock mother who has a child born with the complications of thalidomide poisoning would have had a very difficult time. Society at that time was not kind to either mothers or children in that situation. But this is a feel good fairy tale, and is sweet in that way.

Homunculus is rendered as both a short story and a graphic novel. The graphic novel seems to be a story board for the actual story. This seems to be remake of a cautionary tale from long ago...be happy with what you have.

Red Dog is also rendered in both graphic novel and story. The graphic novel seemed to end differently. It did have a twist at the end and it was hard to decide what the author really meant.

Speaking of the Dead and War of the Flies were nice wholesome stories a young reader would enjoy. But Crossing Over, The Bear and the Golden Flute would be for more mature readers. All of these stories were complete in themselves, whereas Facing Grace with Gloria, The Activist and On the Road to Yazzo City were not fleshed out and could benefit from more structure, detail and description .

In Gatemouth Willie the author tried to write in dialect, but failed to be consistent. It was a distraction. Captain Wither's Wife , 13 Nudes and Curse of a Lonely Heart also fall into the category of odd stories that needed more detail.

Overall, I give this book a rating of 2 out of 4. It seems more like a collection of random thoughts, ideas that could be better stories, even novellas or books. The work as a whole seems unfinished. It seems similar to a sketch book instead of a fully rendered painting.

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Chsmbrwn's review? Post a comment saying so!
kaymontacell
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaymontacell.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by kaymontacell »

Interesting review! It seems that the author made it so the compilation really was just a rough sketch of not-quite-baked ideas. I'd love to check it out one time, as it may be something up my alley. I'm a sucker for compilations.
"No way but forward!"
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

I've read this collection and I have to disagree with you on some point. Yeah, it's true some stories are a little pointless like "the bear" for me, but overall what Coles is trying to do is to give you a taste of other people's lives.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”