Review by Sitowise -- The Surgeon's Wife

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sitowise
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sitowise.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Review by Sitowise -- The Surgeon's Wife

Post by Sitowise »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Surgeon's Wife" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine being keen on getting the best out of your career and at the same time trying to accommodate an irrational behaviour of a friend which would endanger your dreams. The desire to be important and life unforeseen ends will be felt in The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles. The cover art and illustrations were done by Betty Harper.

Mike Boudreaux is a renowned surgeon who thrives in his career as the chief of surgery at the third largest hospital in the country. Clayton Otherson was his mentor and professor, and he indentifies him as part of his success story. He could either watch while Clayton operates illegally or he could sanction the termination of his licence. Meanwhile, Catherine Otherson believes her husband's attitude in the family is not something she could bear, and Mellissa Otherson is eager to seek parental love elsewhere. Where will their paths lead as Mike and Catherine learn to love eachother?

Set in America, this character-driven book crept into my heart slowly but surely. There are few plot twists, but most of the actions in this book hooked me. It didn't take me a while to be absorbed in the story, and the character development were fantastic. The opinions and body languages of the characters were wrapped up in few sentences. The plot covers a mix of the feelings, personal lives and plights of the characters. There were less emphasis on each character's descriptions when introduced because they were gradually unveiled as the story unfolded. The plot moved along on a defined path.

Most of the characters were credible. Their roles were drawn from their temperaments and behaviours. As a reader, I couldn't see myself in any of the main characters. I thought I could relate to Mike's character, but he never expressed his inner feelings. Catherine and Melissa were too concerned about how to feel loved while Clayton has an unusual character. I was left confused on whether he operated for financial gain or for the love of humanity. He never behaved like someone who cared that much for the welfare of others. My favourite thing about this book is the character development. I couldn't help but be intrigued as the characters dialogued.

I like the descriptions done in this book. They were so vivid that readers would be easily carried along. My most favourite part of the book is the first part because it aroused my interest. The second part was the least favourite for me. Another thing I did appreciate about the book was the good editing; I encountered few errors in the course of reading the book which indicated that the book was edited more than once.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is an enjoyable read with a relatable cast of characters, but it's just another good book. It's not a book I can read twice. I recommend the book to people looking for a good book to read. They should add it to their bookshelves.

The Surgeon's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Sitowise's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”