Official Review: Inside The Mind Of Martin Mueller

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Official Review: Inside The Mind Of Martin Mueller

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Inside The Mind Of Martin Mueller" by E A Luetkemeyer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Inside the Mind of Martin Mueller is a mind-bending novella by E A Luetkemeyer. Business mogul Martin Mueller pulls his canary yellow Lamborghini Espada into the driveway of his country estate, where he lives in a stately manor with his wife, Millie. Meanwhile, "Crazy Carl" sits in a prison cell, fingers poised over a typewriter, writing a book, surrounded by an eclectic mix of books and newspapers. Soon, Mueller is typing in his own prison cell, which he has entered voluntarily; the prison is located beneath his manor. We are unsure whether Mueller in prison or Mueller in his house is the correct reality - or if it's a weird combination of both.

Mueller is working on the "Fragmentation of the Over-soul", attempting to solve the mysteries of humanity: where we come from, where we go, and why we are all so different. To make things more confusing, another prison inmate, Wilbur, writes far-fetched stories exploring the outer limits of human thought and reality. And Mueller himself, due for release "in a day and a wake-up", is more excited about smoking pot in prison with outlaw bikers than going back to his old life, because "these characters hold the key to reassembling the scattered shards of the shattered Over-soul of Mankind!"

Luetkemeyer is a definite scholar of human history and the English language, using both to great effect in his tale. His character description includes: "a lanky, angular, loose-limbed kid whose features seem to be dismantling, as in a cubist portrait by Braque or Leger: crude braidings of bristly hair leap from his head like a small explosion has gone off," while a historical figure "had a penchant for pus, a predilection for pestilence, a partiality for putrefaction." This particular passage pertains to prominent prognosticator Nostradamus. You've got to love tongue twisters!

I quickly became enthralled by this tale with its study of the complexities of humanity and the reality we share, not least because I spent much of my time trying to figure out what was really happening! I love mind-bending tales which mess with reality, so this one had me hooked. Mueller is on a very existential quest, seeking answers to why every person doesn't "contain the entire spectrum of traits available to mankind, so that we are all one." The author uses an interesting technique for dialogue, omitting all quotation marks. I quickly adapted to this, with the speech easy to follow given the context of who was speaking. The story features some great combative yet affectionate banter between the prison inmates, exchanges highly amusing in their accuracy.

The only problem with this story was some minor errors, mainly with punctuation and changes of tense. Due to how many there were, I must rate Inside the Mind of Martin Mueller 3 out of 4 stars. Otherwise, it would be 4 stars for certain. It is a luminous, far-fetched, existential mind-trip with a freaky twist ending. I think I could read it several times and get something new out of it each time. A brilliantly conceived journey into the darkest corners of the human mind, it has enough uncertainty to leave you wondering: Did I get the ending after all? Did I really? It is definitely best suited to readers who enjoy expansive mental journeys into dark and confusing places. I loved it.

[Moderator Note: The reviewer read an advanced pre-publication draft copy before the book was published. The errors noted were corrected prior to publishing.

Inside The Mind Of Martin Mueller
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like joshfee77's review? Post a comment saying so!
TJanowski23
Currently Reading: Winning the battle against sin
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjanowski23.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by TJanowski23 »

Great review! I'm very tempted to read this but it sounds so complex. I may not be able to get my head around it.
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

Dark, confusing, and mind-bending? No, thank you!
But such questions as to why we don't all "contain the entire spectrum of traits available to mankind, so that we are all one", yes. I'm already dissecting the statement, thinking of arguments for and against, and counter-arguments to those.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I get too easily confused, so I think this one would be a bit over my head. I like a bit of mystery with my reading; I don't want to get a headache trying to figure out what's real and what's not. Still, I appreciate your perspective on this.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

My first impression was that this one was too much like hard work, and although I like mind benders, I thought I might give it a miss. However, after your review, my curiosity has got the better of me and I would love to give this one a try. I guess you need silence and no interruptions to get the full benefit of this one. Look forward to it!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

TJanowski23 wrote: 27 Nov 2018, 08:11 Great review! I'm very tempted to read this but it sounds so complex. I may not be able to get my head around it.
Don't worry - I'm pretty sure I didn't get my head around it 100% myself! If you like freaky mind-bending tales though, definitely check it out. Well worth it.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Amanda Deck wrote: 27 Nov 2018, 11:20 Dark, confusing, and mind-bending? No, thank you!
But such questions as to why we don't all "contain the entire spectrum of traits available to mankind, so that we are all one", yes. I'm already dissecting the statement, thinking of arguments for and against, and counter-arguments to those.
I'm all for writing which pushes boundaries in some way, so this suited me well. But it's definitely not for everyone. Thanks for your comments.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kandscreeley wrote: 27 Nov 2018, 16:44 I get too easily confused, so I think this one would be a bit over my head. I like a bit of mystery with my reading; I don't want to get a headache trying to figure out what's real and what's not. Still, I appreciate your perspective on this.
Thanks. I like a lot of mystery - sometimes - and when it comes with a great final twist to boot, I find it very satisfying. Though confusing, this was very well-done.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

sonya01 wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 02:01 My first impression was that this one was too much like hard work, and although I like mind benders, I thought I might give it a miss. However, after your review, my curiosity has got the better of me and I would love to give this one a try. I guess you need silence and no interruptions to get the full benefit of this one. Look forward to it!
Thanks! I find reading can be especially rewarding if you are occasionally willing to twist your mind into a virtual pretzel! The challenge of this one was well worth the effort for me.
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

The cover is a bit scary but I think that it suits the book! I think that I should try it someday.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”