Official Review: Fate or Self -Created Paths

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RT_offscript
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rt-offscript.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Official Review: Fate or Self -Created Paths

Post by RT_offscript »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fate or Self -Created Paths" by Soh Siew Huay.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you a fan of reading creative autobiographies and analyzing literature? Then, do not miss your opportunity to enjoy and evaluate Soh Siew Huay’s Fate or Self – Created Paths!

At first glance, the book appears to be a compilation of unrelated short works; however, the readers will pleasantly discover that they are flipping through Huay’s autobiography. Although I usually expect memoirs to take on the form of a chapter book or dated journal, the author eschews traditional methods and brings to life her past in the form of short stories; and she shares her views about present-day political and social issues in poetic verses.

As someone who admires strong female protagonists, I enjoyed reading about Huay’s journey from humble beginnings to current educator, who continues to learn and dream. Although the author’s short stories are pleasant reads, her work unfortunately contains some typos and grammatical errors. As a result, I initially assumed that I would have great difficulty in understanding her poems.

Again, Huay surprised me. Although I noticed a few mistakes, the misprints did not distract me from her poetic messages. Huay welcomes changes. Since change is a certainty, the author believes that battling the inevitable is a waste of time. However, she does admit to being afraid of the world’s current change in course, which could be the result of listlessness – the killer of creativity.

As a result, the author strongly encourages readers to not lose sight of their vision and dreams, which require dedication and hard work. She also recommends finding an engaging occupation to avoid leading a purposeless life and brainless existence. In reference to Huay’s vocation, in particular, she believes that artists and poets filter out listlessness and idle waste from their lives by constantly trying to achieve nobleness and purity within their work.

As one could probably deduce, I decided to rate Fate or Self – Created Paths 3 out of 4 stars. Although I consider the author’s autobiography to be unique and refreshing, I realize that her short stories and poems are not for everyone. The reader - who will most likely appreciate Huay’s book - is someone who has a strong passion for analyzing literature. If you are the described reader, then I encourage you to read Huay’s work; and as you are aware, evaluating literary work is open to interpretation. Therefore, after your short and fun read, feel free to compare notes with me!

Fate or Self -Created Paths
View: on Bookshelves

Like RT_offscript's review? Post a comment saying so!
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for your review! It sounds like an inspiring book and I also really admire strong female protagonists. I like her message of finding an engaging occupation to avoid leading a purposeless life and brainless existence :P
RT_offscript
Currently Reading:

Post by RT_offscript »

Allyseria wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 07:01 Thank you for your review! It sounds like an inspiring book and I also really admire strong female protagonists. I like her message of finding an engaging occupation to avoid leading a purposeless life and brainless existence :P
Thank you for your comments, Allyseria. I liked the author’s message, too. I hope that you found my review helpful. 🙂
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

I am not generally into these kind of books but I love the message you describe in this one!
RT_offscript
Currently Reading:

Post by RT_offscript »

OrlaCarty wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 06:20 I am not generally into these kind of books but I love the message you describe in this one!
Hi OrlaCarty -

Although this kind of book is usually not your cup of tea, I appreciate your taking the time to read my review; and I am glad that you loved the book's message. :)
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

Wow! The author seems to have an appealing narrative style of her own.I might read this book. Thanks for the review.
RT_offscript
Currently Reading:

Post by RT_offscript »

C-Extra22 wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 14:13 Wow! The author seems to have an appealing narrative style of her own.I might read this book. Thanks for the review.
Hi C-Extra22 -

Although I noticed some grammatical errors, the author's narrative style is different and refreshing! Thank you for your comments. I hope that my review was helpful in your decision of whether or not to read this short 62-page book. :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”