Official Review: Turnstiles by Andrea McKenzie Raine

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Official Review: Turnstiles by Andrea McKenzie Raine

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

Thanks for reading this and writing a review. I just added this book to my reading list. I love character driven stories, getting glimpses of peoples lives and touching on philosophy is very interesting. I greatly enjoy getting the chance to understand others and see how seemingly inconsequential interactions can change someone's life.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

I love the idea that the three main characters are a wealthy man, a beggar and a prostitute because these are three people who tend to be despised the most in society today (well, at least where I live). I also love how the author was not afraid to delve deep into their minds to find out what makes them happy, because each character sounds vastly different from the other. This sounds like an interesting story to read because even if I cannot relate to any of the characters in terms of their profession, I can relate to the idea of trying to find happiness regardless of what my current situation may be. I might want to read this simply because of the psychological underpinnings and the well drawn characters. Thanks for the review!
:character-ariel:
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thanks for the detailed review. This seems to be a book that I would enjoy. Great character development. I will add to my list
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

kfwilson6 wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 09:31 "For me this book was an intimate look into the lives of people I don’t often meet in the real world. A wealthy businessman, a man who chose to beg on the streets and a girl forced into prostitution; I’ve stayed blissfully ignorant of such people in my entire life. But this book made me come out of my comfort zone and confront the realities I tended to ignore so often."

This is such a great statement, and I love that you drew our attention to that. Especially given that this story was driven by the characters. Wonderful review, but probably not the book for me.
Thank you. I wouldn't have read this book if I'd known it was character-driven since I'm more of a plot-driven reader myself. But yeah, it's not for everyone :)
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

teacherjh wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 09:45 It sounds like the characters are deep and well written. I love that in a book.
Same! I was worried the characters would fail to draw me in, but my worry proved to be futile. Thank you for commenting :)
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

Sakilunamermaid wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 11:50 Thanks for reading this and writing a review. I just added this book to my reading list. I love character driven stories, getting glimpses of peoples lives and touching on philosophy is very interesting. I greatly enjoy getting the chance to understand others and see how seemingly inconsequential interactions can change someone's life.
I'm glad you decided to give this book a thought! From your interests, I can definitely say that this book would be a perfect fit for you. Thank you for your kind comment :)
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

Alicia09 wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 14:42 I love the idea that the three main characters are a wealthy man, a beggar and a prostitute because these are three people who tend to be despised the most in society today (well, at least where I live). I also love how the author was not afraid to delve deep into their minds to find out what makes them happy, because each character sounds vastly different from the other. This sounds like an interesting story to read because even if I cannot relate to any of the characters in terms of their profession, I can relate to the idea of trying to find happiness regardless of what my current situation may be. I might want to read this simply because of the psychological underpinnings and the well drawn characters. Thanks for the review!
Exactly Alicia. I was apprehensive of reading about characters vastly different from me, and yet the author manages to forge a connection between them and the reader, so much so that I felt understood. I loved that aspect of the novel, even though I mostly look for plots in books.
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Awesome review! I appreciated your insights into this book, and if I can ever catch up on my to-read list, I'll be giving this one a try :)
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

Thanks Bonnie! I know that feeling of not being able to read all the books you want because of the never-ending tbr-pile. Hopefully, you will be able read the book soon. I'm sure, you'll love it! :)
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by sharkyjen998 »

Thank you for this well-written review! Your four star rating and description of some of the character's lives has me really interested in this book. That's really interesting about how the wealthy character gave much of his money away to a beggar! I'll have to read this one now.
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

The three people described in this book are real characters we encounter everyday.I'd appreciate a peek into their lives.Sounds really interesting.Great review!
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Awesome review! I'm going to be looking for it.Thank you.
:techie-studyingbrown:
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

Looks like each of the characters had a unique place in the book.Awesome book.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Great review! All the characters seem to have an interesting story. I'm interested in finding out what happens to them. Thank you!
:techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”