Official Review: The Lost Years of Billy Battles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: The Lost Years of Billy Battles

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Lost Years of Billy Battles" by Ronald E. Yates.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Lost Years of Billy Battles by Ronald E. Yates follows William Battles, a journalist, from 1914 to the 1930s as he travels to Mexico while undercover, fighting against forces ranging from Mexican revolutionaries to German forces. This is the third and final book of the Finding Billy Battles trilogy, but since I haven't read the other books in the series, I can only speak to its effectiveness as a standalone novel.

Unfortunately, The Lost Years of Billy Battles tries to pack in so many different elements that, at times, it becomes rather incoherent. Characters are introduced and implied to be important, such as the navigator Ruppert, and then hardly mentioned again after Billy moves on to a different adventure. The book is meant to be a fictional journal that Billy Battles left to his grandson, so I'll grant that this is faithful to how people generally write journals. However, it really didn't make for a compelling narrative; watching characters' relationships develop and change is a crucial part of fiction.

The book's writing style also proved to be distracting. Characters would speak in Spanish or German, only to have someone repeat back to them exactly what they said in English, solely for the benefit of the reader. Furthermore, even with my limited knowledge of Spanish, I was able to detect at least two errors, making it seem likely there were some issues with the German as well. There are other errors scattered throughout the book; while they weren't incredibly obvious, mixing up homonyms or misplacing a quotation mark is still off-putting when it occurs.

Despite these flaws, I can't bring myself to call The Lost Years of Billy Battles a terrible book. At one point, Billy loses someone close to him, and his grief feels realistic and raw. There are other emotional moments that shine through, and though the action scenes focus heavily on describing guns and other weapons, many were quite engaging. I usually had no idea what Billy was feeling, though, and this really hurt how engaged I was with the book. The scenes when Billy described his emotions were some of the most poignant bits of writing I've ever seen, so I certainly can't deny that the book has its moments. They're just so inconsistent that they weren't enough to push it above average, in my opinion.

Ultimately, I rate The Lost Years of Billy Battles 2 out of 4 stars. Neither the plot nor characters were consistently gripping, though there were some excellent moments that shone through. People interested in the Mexican revolution of 1910-1920 are likely to be annoyed at some of the extraneous events, such as Billy's travels to Manila and Chicago. I wouldn't recommend it for fans of historical fiction in general, and there's enough mention of sexual themes that it's for mature audiences only. I can, however, see readers enamored with historical fiction novels that are written in the format of a journal enjoying this book. If that style is something you appreciate, this is probably worth a read.

The Lost Years of Billy Battles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

If I'm going to read historical fiction, it's got to be very well written and quite entertaining. This doesn't seem to fit the bill. The characters coming and going, the repetition of the foreign languages and the errors aren't compelling me to read this one. Thanks for the review, but I'm going to pass.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Historical fiction is such a bore for me unless the story line personally interests me and this one just doesn't. Plus all the errors and language barriers would be annoying for me. Thanks for the honest review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

It's too bad that the shining moments were so inconsistent. I'm not sure I would enjoy the journal format. Thanks for your honest evaluation!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

With the lack of a gripping plot or characters, I will pass on this one. I do appreciate your honest review.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

The book title caught my attention as did the opening premise of your review. It's a shame, therefore, that the writing doesn't match up to the expectation. I shall give this one a miss...thanks for your review.
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

I'm not a big fan of historical fiction, but if there is absolutely nothing else to read I will probably read it. With all the problems you mentioned, I will definitely pass this one. Thank for your review.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

The book seems quite busy with many fleeting characters and the many adventures of the protagonist. The plot is not too interesting either. Thank you for your very honest review of this book.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

When I saw the title I felt it was a sophisticated read but when I saw the errors I lost all my interest. Thank you for the heads-up information!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

The characters and the plot have to be gripping for me to enjoy a historical fiction book. I think I will skip this one. However, I appreciate your candid review. Thanks.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I'm sorry the book was disappointing. It is indeed tedious to read dialogues in a foreign language and have them translated back and forth. Great review Vivi :)
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
ShubhamK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by ShubhamK »

The review is brief. The book is good. It's like watching a period drama. The storyline is not so captive.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”