Official Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines

Post by jwalker73 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Truth About Parallel Lines" by Jill D. Block.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

According to projective geometry, a pair of lines will always intersect at some stage; even parallel lines will intersect at infinity.

The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block is a novel that falls into the Other Fiction genre. It follows the story of three very different women who, despite living separate lives, find their paths frequently intersect. While each of these protagonists have issues, desires and dreams, the choices they make, and the ways they handle their ‘excess baggage’, are unique.

The story begins in June 1981. Jenna and her two best friends, Beth and Kristen, have cut class to have their first legal drink together since they all share the same birthday. During this outing, they discuss the prom and their plans for the following year. Both Beth and Kristen have steady boyfriends and Jenna, in comparison, feels her friends have outgrown her. Desperate to appear more mature, Jenna fabricates a story and tells them she is having an affair with the father of the girl she babysits. Totally shocked, her friends ask for more detail. Jenna then provides a brief history outlining the factual events from 1977 to the present day, while interweaving her imaginary relationship into the story at the same time.

This opening chapter proves to be an effective way of introducing the reader to many of the characters they will encounter during the remainder of the novel. Jenna speaks of Joanne, her mother, who remains very bitter about her broken marriage and seems unable to move forward in life. In contrast, Jenna’s father, Andrew, has already moved on and is currently in a relationship with Deidre. Young Chloe is the girl Jenna regularly babysits and, during the past four years, a special bond has developed between the pair. Finally, there is John and Mara, Chloe’s parents. Mara tends to be a somewhat overbearing and protective mother, whereas John appears to be more relaxed. Over time, Jenna finds herself becoming increasingly drawn to John.

Following this clever overview of the family dynamics, Chapter Two begins – and the real story starts. The book, from here on in, predominantly follows the lives of Jenna, Deidre and Chloe, and spans from 1981 until 2012 (or 2015 if you include Jenna’s closing blog entry). Each chapter is clearly titled, providing the reader with immediate knowledge about which character the story is about to revolve around. Since Jenna is the common link in all the relationships, narration involving her is told in the first-person perspective. Chapters focussing on the other characters are narrated in the third-person perspective.

The remainder of the book follows the various relationships these three women have with both the significant people in their lives and each other. Like parallel lines, most of the time these relationships travel side by side, with varying distances between them. Occasionally, however, these paths cross.

Overall, I really enjoyed the concept of the story and the array of issues it touched on. I particularly liked the way it demonstrated how one individual’s decisions or choices can have a subtle ripple effect on the lives of others.

I did, however, have considerable difficulty with keeping track of who was who. There were so many names to remember and, while they all had some relevance to the storyline, at times I felt the number of people involved was excessive. Just trying to remember the immediate family members of the three protagonists was challenging enough, without the addition of friends, partners’ family members, an ex-wife and her new husband, children from previous marriages, work colleagues and even friend’s partners. I found it took the first nineteen chapters for me to gain a clear understanding of who everyone was and how they were interconnected. Most of my reading time up to this point was spent flipping back through pages to try and recall who people were. This said, I really enjoyed the last six chapters of the book since, once I became familiar with the characters, I was able to relax and concentrate on the truer meaning of the story. For this reason, I think I would gain a deeper appreciation for the story if I were to read it a second time.

Additionally, the timeframe between each chapter varied considerably, ranging anywhere from one month to three years. This meant I, once again, found myself frequently having to flip back to the previous chapter to determine how much time had actually lapsed between events. This information was much easier to locate, however, since each chapter started with the date in bold.

Grammatically, this book was almost faultless, with only a few notable errors detected. The writing flowed smoothly, and the layout of the book was appealing. The story incorporated many issues including friendships, relationships, death and love. Additionally, it touched on some significant life events e.g. 9/11. While, at times, I felt that some of the topics could have been further expanded, I also realised that, by doing this, it could have detracted from the overall message the author wanted to impart. I also noted that, while several of the relationships detailed in the book may be considered ‘unconventional’ by many, I really appreciated their inclusion since I felt they provided a more accurate reflection of today’s society.

Overall, I rated this novel 3 out of 4 stars. It was an engaging read and provided a lot of food for thought, however, I felt the need to keep revisiting previous chapters to confirm who characters were detracted from the story somewhat.

I would recommend this book to fans of general fiction who have an interest in exploring the complexity of relationships. It should particularly appeal to readers who enjoy stories told from multiple perspectives. Additionally, since the book also contains numerous topics which could be further discussed in a group situation, I would strongly recommend this novel to members of book clubs.

The Truth About Parallel Lines
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like jwalker73's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I like novels that revolve around complex relationships and relatable characters. But I am afraid the abundance of characters would act as a distractor. I enjoyed your thorough and insightful review. Thanks much!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I wonder if Jenna's crush to John paid of? I will read this book to find out. Thanks for the great review.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I'm currently reading a book that requires the type of page flipping to follow the timeline that you described. I'm finding it quite distracting, so I will probably pass on this book despite the otherwise interesting plot. I enjoyed your excellent review.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I'm intrigued by the way you describe the storyline and plot. I'm a sucker for complex relationships and this particular story about three different women intersecting in various points in their life sounds like something I might enjoy. Thank you for your review!
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by sharkyjen998 »

Great work on this review! I really feel you have beautifully captured the essense of the author's theme of "parallel lines" in your description, which makes me even more intrigued to check this title out. It really captured my attention when you brought up one character's bold lie about having an affair. Now I want to find out what happens with that!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

From your description, I'm not sure I'd enjoy this novel. It seems a bit too rambling for me when I enjoy more action. I do appreciate that it's well edited, though. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

This review is so thorough while giving very little away. Excellent job. I think I would enjoy this. I particularly curious about how the made up affair is going to play out.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I get lost when there are too many characters too. Sometimes I keep a 'roll sheet' on my bookmark.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for your honest and detailed review! I really like books that spans over a number of years because it makes me feel more invested in the characters and their lives. I think I'm going to have a problem with the names as well - I usually prefer books to introduce characters slowly into the book, but I guess I'll have to make do with this book.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I really like the concept of the plot in this story. It´s amazing how our lives intersect with the ones of those that surround us and it reminds me a bit of the six degrees of separation theory. I also like stories that move in time, it´s interesting how characters evolve and their lives change, as well as the world that surrounds them. Multiple perspectives add a lot of dimension to the story so I think I´ll enjoy that.
However, I often face the same problem as you with names. I find hard to keep up with novels that engage that many secondary characters.
I´ll give this book a try, anyway. Thank you for your thorough and honest review.
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thanks for your detailed review. I completely understand why you say too many characters and getting mixed up on who is who. I found this just from reading your review. I had to go back to see who that person was. Great review
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

We all have our own unique set of circumstances as well as corresponding perspectives in life. As we cross paths and find our lives intersecting and intertwining with others, it's better if we make those chances count for what's best. I hope this book makes such happen for the characters and for its readers, too.

Thank you for your honest but well-explained assessment of the piece.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The plot sounds like a spicy read in which we can find 3 women in a steady relationship while the other is knocking on the wrong door. What took me off is the unclear setting of the characters stated in your review. It took you to read 19 chapters to figure out the flow of characters which pulled me off. I agree with your rating on this one. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

Although the plot sounds interesting I don't like books where you have to flip back and forth. Characters should be introduced slowly not just thrown in. Great review :)
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”