Official Review: When the Eye Sees Itself by Eric Borgerson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
ViziVoir
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 220
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vizivoir.html
Latest Review: The Lost Years of Billy Battles by Ronald E. Yates

Official Review: When the Eye Sees Itself by Eric Borgerson

Post by ViziVoir » 08 Aug 2018, 19:10

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When the Eye Sees Itself" by Eric Borgerson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When the Eye Sees Itself by Eric Borgerson is an intense novel that juggles a variety of themes strikingly well. It's set in the future when technology allows people to experience each others' consciousnesses by linking their brains on the quantum level. Society in When the Eye Sees Itself is separated into Aggressives, who are persecuted, Citizens, who have full rights, and Vulnerables, who are restricted and protected by the government. Borgerson manages to make these disparate and undeniably esoteric elements fit together extremely well, though, and this novel's worldbuilding is stunningly vivid.

As soon as this internal social context is built, though, it's broken down through the accounts of characters who are personally impacted by its shortcomings. The book mainly follows Leo Baksh, an advocate (essentially, lawyer) for Vulnerables. His journey alone is compelling, but his relationships with other people and how they affect one another are what truly made me invested in his story. Every character feels unique and vibrant, but above all else, their stories are interconnected in a way that many authors fail to accomplish.

While there's a strong focus on relationships, the book is set in a time of socio-political upheaval. It depicts politics in a way that feels simultaneously larger-than-life and painfully relevant, as multiple groups fight to sway public opinion in their own interest. There's no time wasted on diatribes bashing the existing social system, instead, readers are forced to confront its very real consequences. At its heart, When the Eye Sees Itself is the epitome of the philosophy "show, don't tell".

The only substantial flaw I saw in this book is that it sometimes felt like it was tackling too much. While it was very successful in weaving an overall narrative, it was still somewhat jarring to abandon a character's storyline in favor of third-person narration of the world's politics. Because of how rooted in their environment the characters themselves were, though, this wasn't much of a problem when reading the book as a whole.

I rate When the Eye Sees Itself 4 out of 4 stars. It's intense and harrowing, with many dark themes, but it also has an undercurrent of hope and a character-driven style that made it incredibly easy to be drawn into. I'd caution that its writing style, while not verbose, contains words that aren't commonly used, which when combined with its subject matter means that it can be very intellectually demanding. I'd strongly recommend this for mature audiences who are interested in challenging science fiction and dystopian novels. It may be worth reading in small chunks - it can take some effort to get into, but the rewards are very much worth it.

When the Eye Sees Itself
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!

stbrians
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stbrians.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Post by stbrians » 09 Aug 2018, 01:19

So the eye can see itself, eh? You agree with rating it with a 4

Rosemary Khathibe
2018 Reading Goal: 55
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by Rosemary Khathibe » 09 Aug 2018, 01:37

The contents that seem to be in this book take me back to Development Studies, the subject I was studying at school with its political and social aspects where the government looks after vulnerable people. Thanks for the intriguing review.

Sahani Nimandra
Bookshelves Moderator
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Refugee
Bookshelf Size: 395
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 09 Aug 2018, 02:19

After reading your review I was left with a question wonder about what the world would look like if it was controlled by technology? I'm not into a read that's focused on technology (or tec related) so I will pass, but your review gave me all the details that I need to know about this read. Thank you!
Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are :techie-studyingbrown: - Mason Cooley

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 62
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Digger Day by Michael Lee Kirk

Post by kandscreeley » 09 Aug 2018, 07:43

It's interesting to me that many books set in the future have society separated out so distinctly. We have a class system now, but it's a bit more subtle than portrayed in books such as this. All in all, it sounds like a great book with interesting themes. It's one I could really see myself getting into. Thanks for the review!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

teacherjh
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 83
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: The Empty Light of Secrets by M A Street

Post by teacherjh » 09 Aug 2018, 09:26

I reviewed this one too. I loved the characters, but I thought the plot dragged at times. Great review.

Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Broken
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Ruba Abu Ali » 09 Aug 2018, 12:50

The book seems interesting and intricate. I definitely appreciate an intellectually-demanding read. Thanks for the insightful review.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Discovering Nonviolence by Charles E. Collyer and Ira G. Zepp, Jr.

Post by Cecilia_L » 09 Aug 2018, 16:43

A future society divided into such distinct classes sound like an intriguing plot. Great review!

daydreaming reader
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by daydreaming reader » 09 Aug 2018, 18:16

This sounds like an interesting read, but I agree, sometimes these types of books tend to deal with a lot of themes, and reading them in smaller chunks over a period can be much more beneficial. Thank you for the review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”