Official Review: Bounding up the Steps by Dave Transue

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Official Review: Bounding up the Steps by Dave Transue

Post by Mouricia Allen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bounding up the Steps" by Dave Transue.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bounding up the Steps by Dave Transue is a fictional novel that centers on Jack Curran and his political career. It is in the form of an autobiography that is based on a diary he kept throughout his life. It allows us into his past, where we get to be witnesses to all his highs and lows.

I really loved seeing how passionate he was about politics even from a young age. His dedication and drive was an inspiration to me, and hopefully other readers. Seeing the disruption in his family life was a bit sad, however, it is a reality that most persons face on a daily basis. It was also good to see that he stuck to his ambitions and didn't let his struggles drive him off his chosen path.

One of the things I loved the most in this entire novel was just how much his wife supported and stood by him. From his accounts, he was a workaholic who put her and their relationship last many times. Imagine having your husband driving to work to drop off a document while you are in labour in the car. It takes a very strong and determined woman to be able to stay in a situation like that. Although I admired his wife for staying I was a bit conflicted due to the sort of treatment she endured. I am a firm believer that neglect is toxic in any relationship.

I didn't have many issues with the novel; however, there were moments where I was very confused. There were no obvious errors noticed while reading, however, I was forced to reread portions of the book just so I could understand what was being discussed, especially in the beginning. I loved just how much research went into doing this book. Although at some points I thought there was too much information, it was still good to see that the author was well educated.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because although it was a good book, there was just too much information that I thought was not relevant in many areas. It killed my momentum reading the book most times because I would get really interested, but then would be burdened down with information I thought was unnecessary. I would recommend this book to persons who love political novels, or autobiographies. It is a very good book for book clubs as there are many points that could be discussed. There are mentions of sexual abuse which could be a trigger for some people; especially ones originating within the family.

Bounding up the Steps
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mouricia25's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is an awesome review. Thanks a lot for writing it. The book sounds intriguing except for the amount of information that is of no much meaning that is included in the book. I love the enthusiasm exhibited by Jack. However, neglecting his family to such an extent is an evidence that he had not set his priorities right.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

If my husband had to drop off papers while I was in labor, I would be very angry. Sounds like Jack has some redeeming though. Since there were some confusing parts, I would probably pass on this one. Thanks for your review.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

It is not unusual for a celebrity person to neglect his or her partner because of their busy schedule. There are some persons though who will always put their relationship first. It is good that Jack Curran's wife was able to support him even though he has neglected at times. Thank you for an insightful review.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This story about Jack's political career sounds interesting, but I don't like having to go back and reread when the writing isn't clear. Thank you for your candid review!
tina52kurtz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tina52kurtz »

Appreciate your honest review. I, also, don't like getting bogged down by too much extraneous information.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I get confused by books like these. An autobiography but it's in the other fiction forum? Nevertheless, you lost me at political. I just don't like to read about politics or anyone in politics. I'm going to pass, but I'm glad that you were able to get something from it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

There are many points in this book that could be discussed in a book club. Otherwise, I might not opt to pick it on my own. Too much information would turn me off. Thank you for the honest and thorough review.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

I feel like this can be an inspiring book, but I am not to fond of political novels. Regardless, thank you for the honest review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
aribear
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by aribear »

I would be very upset if my husband stopped at work while I was in labour. Yes I agree that neglect is bad for any relationship. Thank you for your review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”