Official Review: The Last Whale Watch and Other Stories

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Official Review: The Last Whale Watch and Other Stories

Post by meadhbh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Last Whale Watch and Other Stories" by Bert Silva.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Last Whale Watch and Other Stories is a short story collection by Bert Silva. It offers a snapshot of the lives of a number of different characters, from an officer in the army to police officers reflecting on an actress’s death. These stories are very much character-driven rather than plot-driven.

The first story in the collection, the titular “The Last Whale Watch,” is a science-fiction story revolving around a mechanical whale. Based on this, I thought that more of the stories would be centred on similar science-fiction concepts, but apart from this one they all very much take place in our reality, either present or past. As such, I felt that the first story was a little bit out of place in this collection. However, I tried not to let this expectation influence me too much and to simply enjoy the book as I read it. I also thought the last story, “Faraway,” felt out of place in this collection. It made up over half of the entire collection and was more like a novella than a short story. In my opinion, this piece would probably have been better off published separately.

I felt that a lot of the stories focused too much on character with no plot to support them. Many of them didn’t really go anywhere, and the conclusion often felt unsatisfying. There are some exceptions to this, such as "Deadly Passage," my favourite story in the collection. It follows a young man seeking revenge for something he believed happened to a woman he loved. In general, though, the stories kind of felt like they lacked something. All the characters seemed to have a remarkably similar voice as well, which meant a great deal of the stories did not feel all that different. However, I did like the concepts behind many of them, I just think they need a bit more work to make them distinct from each other, and I think the collection could be curated a little better so that it works as one coherent book.

I also noticed a number of grammar errors. There were quite a few places where quotation marks were used incorrectly in particular. I don’t think they particularly detracted from my enjoyment of the book though but rather are just a sign that the book could do with a bit more editing.

Taking everything into consideration, I would give this book 2 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed some of the stories, and it definitely has potential, it just didn’t quite feel like a finished product to me. If you like short stories with a focus on characters and not much plot, you might enjoy the book more than I did, but for me, it’s important that short stories strike a better balance between these two.

The Last Whale Watch and Other Stories
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like meadhbh's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I think I would agree that there needs to be a balance between characters and plot. It’s unfortunate that the stories didn’t seem to go together as a whole and needed more editing. Thanks for your honest review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Great review. It is often difficult to achieve distinct voices in short story collections and not many authors achieve are successful in their attempts. Your review tells me all I need to know about the book. I'm wondering how this book would be classified as a genre, since the stories are all over the place. Thank you for your review though. :)
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

Fuzaila wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 09:51 Great review. It is often difficult to achieve distinct voices in short story collections and not many authors achieve are successful in their attempts. Your review tells me all I need to know about the book. I'm wondering how this book would be classified as a genre, since the stories are all over the place. Thank you for your review though. :)
I think that's part of the reason I didn't particularly love it - it didn't really feel like there was any coherent theme to it as a collection
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

A robotic whale sounds interesting. It's puzzling that it wasn't a good fit with the other stories. I hope the errors are corrected. It sounds like an otherwise lovely collection. Great review!
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I am not a great fan of short stories but I like the idea of a mechanical whale! It sounds like the stories have potential and your review offers very helpful insights and tips to improve the collection.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I like a story that focusses on the character but with not much of a plot, what are we reading the book for then? Thank you for the thorough review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
KarinaBordas
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karinabordas.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by KarinaBordas »

It seems, based on your review, that the author just threw together a bunch of random stories that don’t have an underlying theme. Additionally, with the lack of plot and single focus on character, it doesn’t seem like there’s much to The Last Whale Watch and Other Stories that would draw me in and keep my attention.
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Nice review. Your rating seemed entirely justified since a random collection of short stories with no plot and multiple errors doesn't seem worth the read. However, it also sounds like it has potential and room to grow. Thanks - I appreciated your review!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love deep characters, but they need great plot to tie them together.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

This is a great review!

You explained the layout of the book and the overall lack of plot details in the stories. I think it's interesting that the first story is sci-fi, but there aren't any other sci-fi stories in the book. It seems that the first story would be one to set the focus.

Thanks, again!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”