Official Review: There's A Hole by James Sarjent

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Official Review: There's A Hole by James Sarjent

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "There's A Hole" by James Sarjent.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There's A Hole by James Sarjent is a mystery novella of under 20,000 words. Protagonist James Sarjent lives in a large house in the country with his wife (whom he calls "the Lady") and four daughters ("the Group"): Elinda (8), Noelle (6), Paige (4) and Luna (2). Their house sits on a hill with a big grassy pasture out the back. One day, the four girls are digging in this pasture when they discover buried human bones. Reporting this discovery to the police, they meet Sheriff Green, a big pleasant man James mentally nicknames "The Jolly Green Lawman". The Sheriff tells James about a mean old woman, Miss Landly, who previously lived alone in their house for many years. Having died relatively recently, the discovered bones are not hers. James decides to do some further investigation of his own.

Sarjent's prose is more considered and literary than that of some writers I have read. He seems like a real student of English literature, an impression reinforced by his references to Mark Twain, Edgar Allan Poe, and Lord Byron. There are many instances of elegant descriptive prose, such as: "This is a golden afternoon, golden air in golden light as the sun sinks to the horizon like a fiery ball." Such writing raised this story above the pack for me.

The author writes in the present tense, which I like for its sense of immediacy and engagement in the story. I felt like I was there in each moment with the characters, and not simply reading about these events after the fact. Humorous moments lighten the mood in many scenes, such as a breakfast James shares with the Sheriff in a local diner: "'Salt,' the Sheriff solemnly intones, 'is bad for you.' I look up and stop jiggling the salt shaker over my plate of scrambled eggs and bacon. What? The food police? Here in Lucy's Diner?"

In addition to the developing mystery of the discovered bones, there are plenty of cozy family scenes that highlight the antics of the four young daughters. These scenes really grounded the story for me, providing a sunny counterpoint of domesticity to the dark murder mystery unfolding. I enjoyed many examples of the delight James clearly takes in his lovely girls. Interestingly, he loves his children but cannot stand dogs, which adds an intriguing quirk to his personality.

The only downside to this story for me was a few minor errors, such as missing punctuation. I found less than ten in total, however, and overall I rate There's A Hole 4 out of 4 stars. The writing is elegant, almost poetic at times, the characters beautifully realistic, and the mystery of the discovered bones offers a tantalising hint of the gothic. I found it a highly enjoyable read from beginning to end. Fans of relatively low-key mystery stories will definitely enjoy this one. It has no obvious violence or coarse language, and as such is a definite breath of fresh air.

There's A Hole
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like joshfee77's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I like the mystery you described. The quirky character and family scenes sound like a nice change. Thanks for the recommendation.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. You don't find many modern books with this level of literary genius. I love the samples that you inserted, especially the salt and the food police. It sounds like a story that I could really sink my teeth into. Thanks for the information!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Very interesting! Low-key mysteries are my cup of tea. I appreciate a literary style that raises the bar. Thanks for your sound and insightful review.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Cecilia_L wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 15:58 I like the mystery you described. The quirky character and family scenes sound like a nice change. Thanks for the recommendation.
Yeah, a refreshingly light twist on a dark theme, if that makes any sense! The family scenes were very enjoyable and almost the foreground piece, with the mystery of the discovered bones just ticking along - almost in the background - until the reveal of the killer near the end.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kandscreeley wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 08:38 Interesting. You don't find many modern books with this level of literary genius. I love the samples that you inserted, especially the salt and the food police. It sounds like a story that I could really sink my teeth into. Thanks for the information!
Yes, Sargent definitely seems like a student of language, and clearly loves his prose. I haven't read much else like it and thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks for your comments.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 10:41 Very interesting! Low-key mysteries are my cup of tea. I appreciate a literary style that raises the bar. Thanks for your sound and insightful review.
Thank you! The thrillers I usually read are often violent and brutal so I found this a pleasant and welcome change. Highly recommended!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”