Review by thaservices1 -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Review by thaservices1 -- The Reel Sisters

Post by thaservices1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is the heartwarming story of five women from varied backgrounds finding friendship through the sport of fly fishing. Sophia, a single and independent woman yearning, yet fearing, for the solid romantic connection her life is lacking finds peace and companionship through her passion for fishing. Veronica, the spirited half of a successful power couple, a self-styled city girl, finds both empowerment and motivation through the art of fishing. Amanda, the overworked mother of two young children and full-time teacher, finds the recharge her life needs through fishing, a respite from her worries over her military husband on deployment. Rose, an older woman on the verge of her golden years, a lifetime lover of fly fishing finds the new connections her life needs through passing on the art to her companions. Melody, young, bold, and talented yet troubled by the question of what to do with her life, finds a new means to explore her inner-self through friendship and fly fishing after making a dramatic entrance into the other ladies' lives.

Cummins weaves a beautiful tale of companionship, full of both humor and heartbreak. Her characters are detailed and each has a past that the author has fleshed out in a believable manner. She incorporates so many aspects into each persona that any reader can find something to relate to in these women. The witty exchanges between the characters paint the picture of their bond. The dialogue is, for the most part, handled well but there are some instances of stiff phrasing such as "What's the extent of your injuries" and "where Melody indicated her car is". There is also an overuse of the word 'says' in some dialogues. For example,
"Voila! An Elk Hair Caddis fly,' Amanda says as she holds it up proudly.
"Nice," Melody says.
"Here, you can have this one," Amanda says, handing the fly to Melody.
The novel is written in first person but from five different voices. This was somewhat confusing especially at the beginning of the book. These five voices also were very similar at times, adding to the confusion.

The subject of fly fishing is the common thread binding these women and the author does an amazing job of introducing the sport to the reader. The author's own obvious love of fly fishing shines through in the details. The sport is discussed with passion and many different aspects are touched upon in the novel. Everything from the expense of the gear needed to the precise art of fly tying is presented to the reader. The author informs one of how the fish behave, why fly fishing works, how to handle a fish, the differences in catch-and-release vs. sustenance fishing, the methods of casting, the parts of the tackle and much more. The nature settings are vividly described, again with passion, as only an outdoorsman/woman can. The many humorous scenes and practical, funny little things people 'forget' to include in their camping and hiking stories are not skimped on in this novel. They are sure to get chuckles if not outright laughter.

Overall, The Reel Sisters was a lovely read and I give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The author's sometimes stiff dialogue and slightly confusing writing style are, I feel, quite forgivable in a first-time author. Her writing has a nice tone and some very lyrical and memorable phrases like this wonderful quote:
"Like the river transforms the land, the bond of friendship can transform your life. Trusting the currents, navigating the terrain, and figuring out how to read the water are all skills that take patience, time, and love."
I would recommend this book to any reader who would enjoy a tale of relatable life experiences and also to both those familiar and unfamiliar with fly fishing. There is a fount of knowledge on the sport to be had in this touching story of friendship.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like thaservices1's review? Post a comment saying so!
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I like how you explained the characters. It makes them come alive.
thaservices1
Currently Reading:

Post by thaservices1 »

Thank you!
- Roosevelt
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

I did not find the cover for the book to be attractive and inviting, so, I probably would not have chosen to read the book. Having read the review and the sample, I found the book to be nice, but I still will not read it entirely because it focuses on the flying fish sport, and since I am not much of a sporty person, I might not understand some of the things they talk about. But I do think one can learn a lot about these women's personal challenges. Thanks for an interesting review.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
thaservices1
Currently Reading:

Post by thaservices1 »

Thank you.
- Roosevelt
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Great review and I agree with all your points. Excellent stories by each character held together by the main theme of fly fishing. Great review and summary of the book!
Nehal Mitna
Favorite Book: The Champagne Tales
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nehal-mitna.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nehal Mitna »

Great review! I read the book at one go!
honesty_pays
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honesty-pays.html
Latest Review: Oldogs by Kip Cassino

Post by honesty_pays »

Great job you did here explaining this book. Flyfishing feels like something I would want to know more about
Latest Review: Oldogs by Kip Cassino

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”