Official Review: Evenfall by Imonlega Ebehi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Official Review: Evenfall by Imonlega Ebehi

Post by Misael Carlos »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Evenfall" by Imonlega Ebehi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Evenfall by Imonlega Ebehi starts with a terribly lonely Omonye on a Friday night, as she is unable to contact her husband who is working abroad and will be coming home after many years away from his wife and kids. However, Lucky's phone is dead, and her anger turns to worry. He finally calls and when he goes home, she observes some things about Lucky that are not there before; something different about him that she could not fathom. She knows he has a mistress in the U.S. Aina is his ticket to stay and hold on to his job, so he says. Omonye seems accepting of this, but when she learns that the woman came with Lucky to Nigeria, she is flabbergasted. Is this the ax that will sever the line that holds her family? The things Omonye will do to rise above life's challenges and preserve her family are the highlights of this novel.

The book offered a glimpse of a country's beliefs, culture, and traditions; these significantly influenced the handling of the couple's marital issues. It took me a while to get used to the characters' names and I even wondered about how to read Lucky's name, assuming it is pronounced in a customary manner. Many times, I would back read to remind myself who was who.

What I liked about this book was the author's good sense of humor; there were many times that I chuckled and laughed at some situations. She was remarkably capable of making me imagine and visualize the scenes. I could even imagine the play of emotions on Omonye's face as she wondered her husband's peculiar behavior. The author's characterization of Lucky was clearly defined: irritating, prideful and selfish. He's such an unlovable person he made me mad at Omonye's weakness for him. Omonye's character was looked upon as uncommon in her country, where outspoken and opinionated women were castigated and labeled as witches. She was vulnerable and yet a strong-willed woman. She was funny and witty, even in anger. She was a loving person, determined to rise above all roadblocks in life. Her behavior was what made the novel hard to put down. She made each chapter glow with life.

On the downside, the author should have provided translations of the Nigerian words that she used so that the readers would have a firm grasp of the conversations and would not have to guess or assume what the terms meant within the context of the statements.

There were many grammatical errors throughout the book, which were mostly about missing punctuation marks like commas, periods and quotation marks. There were some misplacements, too. There were instances where two words were unseparated by a space. There were also some missing propositions. At one time, there was no space provided between two sentences. Acronyms such as SUG and CV were not provided meanings. In one instance, the letter "l" in Lucky's name was uncapitalized.

The author used flashback to provide a narration on how the two leads met, Lucky’s departure for the U.S. and his involvement with another woman. These narrations will provide the readers a better understanding of where the characters were coming from. However, there were chapters during this phase that I felt were unnecessary: those chapters about Lucky's brother. In addition, there was part of the book where I got a bit disoriented: when the following chapter returned to the present without so much as an inkling that the flashback in the previous chapter was finished. It took a few moments for me to realize the book was back to the present. Some characters were not properly introduced. Omonye's grandmother was sometimes referred to by Omonye as her mother.

I give this novel 3 out of 4 stars. I was prevented from giving it a 4 due to ubiquitous grammatical errors which led me to assume that this book did not undergo proper editing; local words that were untranslated and few unexplained acronyms. But despite these flaws, I could not ignore the book's entertainment value; the book was amusing, funny and informative, and the characters created by the author were very relatable and interesting. For these reasons, it does not deserve just 2 stars.

Those who enjoy reading about a country's culture, beliefs and traditions and relatable plot about relationships and life lessons will be engrossed in this novel. However, those readers who do not like to be distracted while reading the book due to the pervasive grammatical errors should skip this one.

Evenfall
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Misael's review? Post a comment saying so!
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Having to back read to figure out who the story is talking about is annoying. I am one that has trouble following stories if there are too many characters involved or if their names are strange. If I can't connect with them in a way that helps me keep the story in my head it gets tiresome. Otherwise the story line interested me, but I feel like the grammatical errors will hold me back from picking this one up. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Misael Carlos
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

The lead character's antics and behavior made up for the book's flaws and had me hooked to the story. The confusion was just for a while; once you get past the peculiar names, it's a smooth ride afterwards.
Misael Carlos
Currently Reading:

Post by Misael Carlos »

AmySmiles wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 10:26 Having to back read to figure out who the story is talking about is annoying. I am one that has trouble following stories if there are too many characters involved or if their names are strange. If I can't connect with them in a way that helps me keep the story in my head it gets tiresome. Otherwise the story line interested me, but I feel like the grammatical errors will hold me back from picking this one up. Thanks for the review.
The lead character's antics and behavior made up for the book's flaws and had me hooked to the story. The confusion was just for a while; once you get past the peculiar names, it's a smooth ride afterwards.
Thank you for commenting!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I love it when an author employs humor in his/her writing! Although I would welcome the cultural education, the storyline doesn’t really appeal to me. I do appreciate your review, though.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Flipping back to figure out the plot or character is one of my biggest pet peeves. I appreciate your review, but I'll pass on the book.
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

The story sounds interesting enough, but to back read sits not well with me. Thanks for the review.
Misael Carlos
Currently Reading:

Post by Misael Carlos »

stacie k wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 19:12 I love it when an author employs humor in his/her writing! Although I would welcome the cultural education, the storyline doesn’t really appeal to me. I do appreciate your review, though.
Thank you for commenting. Happy reading to us!
Misael Carlos
Currently Reading:

Post by Misael Carlos »

Corhan2 wrote: 16 Aug 2018, 01:56 The story sounds interesting enough, but to back read sits not well with me. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for commenting! Happy reading to us!
Misael Carlos
Currently Reading:

Post by Misael Carlos »

Cecilia_L wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 21:41 Flipping back to figure out the plot or character is one of my biggest pet peeves. I appreciate your review, but I'll pass on the book.
Thank you for commenting! Happy reading to us!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”