Official Review: What the River Wants by Arthur Byrd

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: What the River Wants by Arthur Byrd

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What the River Wants" by Arthur Byrd.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What the River Wants by Arthur Byrd is a pensive family-focused novel about members of different generations seeking to define their role within their family, and in the larger world. The story follows the life of Tom, a cantankerous and stubborn older man who has distanced himself from his family and spends his days in an off-the-grid cabin by a river, in a remote part of Mississippi. After a visit from Lee, his teenage grandson, Tom reluctantly re-establishes contact with the other members of his family, though the process is stilted and difficult. As we meet the other members of the family, we get a glimpse into each of their worlds, and the way their interactions with Tom shape their understanding of their mutual family history.

Through the process of discussing family stories and memories, Tom begins to process and remember parts of his own earlier life, particularly those involving his now-deceased wife. At the same time, he is forced to confront the memory of an old friend who betrayed him, as that friend returns and attempts to make contact. Rather than relying on his family for comfort and support, Tom keeps them at a distance, partially from habit, and partially due to a fear that they will discover that he is soon to be evicted from his land and beloved cabin. He is a man who desires only to rely upon himself, and as we follow his story we watch him struggle with the realization that he may no longer be able to do this.

There are several surprising and intriguing twists, which contribute significantly to the fluid pace of the story. Though this novel is highly psychological, with quite a bit of text devoted to the exploration of one’s inner struggles and ambivalences, the plot nonetheless progresses rapidly through a series of interesting events, and the narrative never feels too dense or heavy to move forward. One of the major themes is that it is the core of a person that really matters, rather than the details or “extremities.” In other words, a person (like Tom) may have many secrets, and many parts of him or herself that are hidden from others, yet the heart and essence of their personality may still be good, which is what is important.

This is a book rich with life, and each character has a vibrant and believable back-story. Several of the characters made significant emotional progress throughout the timeframe and as a result of the events that take place. This is a story that will make a reader think, as the characters themselves are forced to confront issues of mortality, and the nuances and ambiguities of life.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, and recommend it to those who like stories that burn slowly at first, but come to a significant, emotional, and memorable ending. I would also recommend this book to those who enjoy exploring family dynamics and relationships or are simply looking for a glimpse into family life in southern Mississippi. Some readers may find this book a bit slow, especially at first, as it is a story that requires patience. However, many of the lessons of this book are in the atmosphere rather than the action, and the atmosphere of the river setting permeates the entire novel consistently and memorably.

What the River Wants
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bluegreenmarina's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Family is very important in everyday life, so to think that Tom separated himself from his family for a very long time is a little bit weird. I mean didn't it matter to him how his children were living? I will definitely read the book to find out. Thanks for the great review.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I like books like this, but I don't like the slow beginning. I think I'll continue to pass on this one for now. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

I enjoyed reading this review. It made me think about so many families today that are separated from one another because of something stupid and because of pride keeping us from making peace.
KarinaBordas
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karinabordas.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by KarinaBordas »

Tom may be halting his life as he deals with his inner-turmoil and struggle at the loss of his wife. While focused on family, it seems that What the River Wants delves into what was and not what is. I would question whether Arthur Byrd chose this title to symbolize through Tom that we can not control the river (our life), rather we should cherish each bend (moment). I look forward to reading this novel!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

A family story? Sounds interesting. I think we each have unique families and could probably all write stories about them. I love that this has plot twists along the way. That always makes any story more fun. Thanks for another fabulous review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Family dynamics can be so complicated. This sounds like a relevant story with some interesting twists. Great review!
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

It sounds a little strange, I know, but I love stories that explore the secrets and dysfunctional relationships that evolve in families. You write a compelling recommendation for this one.
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

An awesome review here, and I can see the experience you had painted all over... Thank you!!!

I would love to read this, I can see psychology therein, and I like novels that require patience and concentration.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

Family is something important to me. Your review allowed me to reflect on my own and wonder about the family in the story.
Thanks for the review!
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

Your review is insightful... I have been able to get a glimpse of the dynamics of a dysfunctional family and I still look forward to reading the book.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like it is right up my alley. A story about family, secrets, and having to rehash old conflicts. Even though it starts out slow, I still think I could easily immerse myself in this storyline. Thanks for the fantastic review!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a coming of age fiction drama novel on family relationships, reunion, betrayal, growth, and remembrance. IT has a free sample on Amazon Kindle and has a masterfully-written OnlineBookClub review that highlighted the best the book has to offer. Congrats @arthurbyrdIII on the BOTD.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A southern novel centering around the life of a recluse old man and exploring inner struggles sounds thought-provoking. Family dynamics, self- exploration, and good themes make it a good read for fans of slow-burned tale. Not for me, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

A novel that focuses on family relationships and the search for their role within their family and in the world in general. Sounds interesting to those who like topics associated with seeking a vision of family life.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”