Official Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Re: Official Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by KRay93 »

Thank you for the review. I came across this book when it was chosen as BOTM and I have recently acquired this book. Of course, this kind of literature is intended for women and it is not among my genres of preference, but I felt that I needed to read something new and decided to give it an opportunity given the variety and quality of the female characters. Some time ago I started to read it, but I could never finish it because I prioritized other things. Still, I plan to resume it anytime soon.
Enattah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Enattah »

Now here is a book I totally love because am the type that values good frndship and bond. it is so much more about the beauty of relationships and the incredible gift of deep bonds of friendship.
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

This seems to be an interesting book about women who not only go on an adventure together but learn from each other's lives and become better because of it. I'm always inspired by books about friendship and books with a certain mystery in it. I guess this book is about both.
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

A story about friendship and love sounds good. I will pick this up. Thanks for the review.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

The story is written in first person present tense with each section moving from character to character. As each woman tells her story as she is experiencing it, the reader feels like he or she is on the journey with them. It quickly becomes apparent that this story is about so much more than the sport of fly fishing. Each woman faces her own set of life's challenges, from Sophie's struggle to find love, to Amanda's difficulties in coping with her husband's deployment while raising two small children. I loved seeing how these women developed strong, supportive friendships. They truly became a group of sisters, always ready to lend a hand, a listening ear, or a shoulder to cry on.
I absolutely love when authors manage to show different perspectives and voices successfully. I think it allows you to get a 360o vision of what's going on and get to know each character individually more in-depth.
One of the only things I didn't care for so much was the practice of catch and release. I have always struggled with this aspect of fly fishing because it seems cruel to me and no one in my family has ever fished purely for sport. Although I had a hard time with that, by the end of the book the practice of catch and release becomes a beautiful metaphor.
Thanks for including your personal opinion. I think it always enriches a review when we get an insight on what the reviewer experienced.

Great review!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

At first instance, I thought this was an adaptation of a book with an almost-similar title, i.e. Sisters of the Fly, published almost a decade ago. This piece seems to be more character-driven and introspective instead of being vividly descriptive, which the earlier and well-rated work is more of. "Catch and release" for mere sport does seem ruthless, and I wonder how it's justified in the story. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Nandy
Currently Reading: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Bookshelf Size: 170

Post by Nandy »

This book seems to be quite an intriguing story. It is very much suited to any age and looks to be a really great read especially for women. Thanks for a mind blowing review. Great job
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by TheTrueNyree »

"I loved seeing how these women developed strong, supportive friendships. They truly became a group of sisters, always ready to lend a hand, a listening ear, or a shoulder to cry on." This is definitely how I view friendships.. true friends are there through good and bad times. We encourage as well as advise on life.i think this is a positive story, that how friendships can be as a family.
Kid_karo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kid_karo »

WoW! This book is excellent. The way you kept my attention throughout the entire book. Excellent.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

Such a great book that shows that real friendship, love, and respect hath no boundaries. However, I don't love books revolving around the dynamic world of the outdoors and fish-flying but I would recommend this book to those who love such. Great review!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Rodrigo Niguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodrigo-niguez.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Rodrigo Niguez »

The women's friendship is marvellous. I loved their openness and supportive nature. They are always ready to listen and share in each others problems. They are strong women.
kristine29
Currently Reading: Release that witch
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine29.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by kristine29 »

Go Girl Power ! I'm glad that many authors nowadays are writting novels about women that are not just a protagonist of a romance story. I love how this kind book is highly rated . I give you a Like for your well-written review
evuti20
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by evuti20 »

the book is intresting,talking about bond relationship,and good friendship
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Wonderful review here. The book is adequately described in such a way that the urge to read it is still sustained. The story is unique given how the five women bond despite the different age brackets. I would like to read it.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ajayisola
Currently Reading: Snowman Paul at the Winter Olympics
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by Ajayisola »

It is good to have strong and a relationship so that, everything will be moving all right thanks for the review

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”